Just Back from SSR May17-20th

jblb1020

Mouseketeer
I just went home for the first time May 17-20th. I have some good reports and bad reports about SSR. We arrived around lunch time on Wed and our room was not ready which was ok because we had planned on going to the AK for the rest of the afternoon. We first had lunch at the food court which was very nice and lunch was wonderful. We then went to the bus stop and waited for the bus. This is were the bad comes in. We had such problems with the bus service the entire trip. NOT the bus drivers because all of them were wonderful. The buses never came as often as the other resort buses and we were always waiting atleast 30 minutes for one. On the day we went to Epcot we watched 3 buses pick up at the Wilderness Lodge all at different times before our bus arrived. The line at that point for SSR was so long that it when the bus arrived there were plenty of people still waiting for the next bus. So all in all I was not happy with the bus service. And I spoke to other people staying at SSR and they all said they were having the same problem. As in other posts I also experienced many people using SSR buses who were not resort guests using the buses to get to the parks from Downtown Disney. Now on to the resort, when we returned back to SSR after Ak it was now 4pm check in time and when I went to the front desk they said that our room was still not available and would not be any time soon. So I asked if he could find us another room that was available and he did but it would not have a balcony like requested but at that point I just wanted a room since we had been up since 4 am. Our room was in the Springs room 4123. The room was very nice and clean and had a great view of the fountain. The rest of the trip was great except the bus service which I really think they need to do something about especially with more buildings on the way. My overall impression of SSR was it is a beautiful resort but was huge compared to the Wilderness Lodge which I am used to. I have to say I was very overwhelmed the first day after arriving but by the second day I was getting used to my new home. I admit that I love the Wilderness Lodge and would love to try the villa's there next time when we bring the kids but I have no regrets buying into Saratoga Springs and hope that once its complete they will work out the bugs.

We were there from May 7th to May 15th... Thank god we drove down there because I could not of survived with their bus service. We almost missed a Table Service ressie at Tony's our first night because we only alloted 2 hours to get from SSR to MK instead of 2-1/2 Hours. The MK bus never came after 45 mins of waiting so we decided to hop on the next bus to come (Epcot 15 min later) Then from Epcot we had to go to the TTC and then over to MK... wait in line at bag check and park enterance and then arrived 1/2 hour late to Tony's who luckily still had a ressie for us.

From that point on we DROVE everywhere. The busses at SSR absolutely suck.

Other than that, I love the resort, the room, the atmosphere and Disney in general. Already getting geared up for a 2007 trip including OPP Disney Cruise and 9 nights at Boardwalk :)

Thanks for the great report. We're going "home" first week of december. Sorry to hear that the bus service sucks. We will have our cars but we usually like to use Disney transportation. May I ask what room type you had that had no balcony? I wasn't aware that there were any rooms like that. We have two 2-bedroom units booked and would be very disappointed if we end up with no balconies. So glad to hear you liked SSR other than the bus service.

We were there first week of May and can honestly say we had no problems with the bus service. Maybe we just got lucky with timing but we never waited more than 20 min. comming or going to any park. Only times buses were full was first thing in the morning or right at closing. We arrived around 10am expecting to wait but got our room right away. Funny thing is we got the same room we had the first time we stayed, that was a couple weeks after they opened, made it sorta MAGICAL. I was sorry to see how abused some of the furniture has gotten already. Wish folks would take care of things, ultimatly we will be the ones to pay for replacing things via our dues.

We were there at the same time that the OP was I have to say that bus service was horrible at many of the resorts. We were very fortunate getting buses at SSR but return from the parks usually resulted in a 20 minute (average) wait. I waited 30 minutes for a bus at the Contemporary to DTD and about 35 minutes from the Poly to EPCOT.

fishermouse said:
I was sorry to see how abused some of the furniture has gotten already. Wish folks would take care of things, ultimatly we will be the ones to pay for replacing things via our dues.

I have to agree with this. We were in the Springs in November and then again just last week and there was a very distinct difference in the condition of rugs and furniture. There were obvious splashes on the walls and dirty smudges and fingerprints all over the doors. It just didn't have that brand new feel, which I didn't expect. I also took into consideration that the Springs will be one of the most popular areas and many residents will be requesting accomodations there. I did my best to wipe up after my children to try to keep the place in good condition. It is obvious that others do not do this... :rolleyes2

DisneyFreaks said:
Thanks for the great report. We're going "home" first week of december. Sorry to hear that the bus service sucks. We will have our cars but we usually like to use Disney transportation. May I ask what room type you had that had no balcony? I wasn't aware that there were any rooms like that. We have two 2-bedroom units booked and would be very disappointed if we end up with no balconies. So glad to hear you liked SSR other than the bus service.
We had a ground level room. I wanted so much for a balcony but I did not want to wait any longer. We had a patio with chairs and one morning we had a couple of ducks looking in our room which was cute! We didn't spend that much time in our room. This was a Mother's Day getaway and I brought a girlfriend with me and we left the kids home with the husbands. If I had my children with me I would have been disappointed because my husband and I like to sit out on the balcony after the kids go to bed. As for the room not being ready I have always been spoiled every other visit to Disney and our room was always ready when we arrived and I arrive the same time every trip.

We were there May 7th- 11th and never waited more than 20 minutes for a bus. I only used Disney transportation, and the only "full" buses I dealt with were the ones at park closings - like Epcot after Illuminations. But the bus driver was friendly about it, and made even the crowded bus fun...had us "get really close" to our "new" friends...then turned the lights off and said "go to sleep"...it was corny, but cute...and helped lighten the situation.

I wouldn't want to be a bus driver down there, so maybe I feel sorry for them. Since I can't magically teleport between parks, I deal with the buses...

jblb1020 said:
We had a ground level room. If I had my children with me I would have been disappointed because my husband and I like to sit out on the balcony after the kids go to bed.

I would be disappointed as well. I use the balcony alot. With my morning coffee and in the evening also. DH has to drag me in to go to bed if the view is pretty. LoL I wouldn't really want a ground level room but at least it would be somewhere to sit outside. We're very excited about our first trip. I hope the bus service gets better by then.

I was sorry to see how abused some of the furniture has gotten already. Wish folks would take care of things, ultimatly we will be the ones to pay for replacing things via our dues.[/QUOTE]

Now Disney is offering free upgrades to SSR, so non DVC guests will be using this resort more than ever and we have to pay for it through our dues. :confused3

What are the rules for using Disney buses? Do you have to be a resort guest, or do you just have to be visiting the parks (even if you're staying at the Wyndham, or something).

shantay1008 said:
What are the rules for using Disney buses? Do you have to be a resort guest, or do you just have to be visiting the parks (even if you're staying at the Wyndham, or something).

Not sure about the official rules on the buses but it seems like the feelings on this board based on MANY previous threads is the solution would be worse than the problem. Would take far to long to check resort keys not to mention alienating future guests and anoying present guests. The drivers would become the enforcers of any rules and take away from the friendly service they now provide. Plus I doubt if it is really that big of a problem, just seems like it when your the one waiting for a bus. IMHO

ryanally said:
Now Disney is offering free upgrades to SSR, so non DVC guests will be using this resort more than ever and we have to pay for it through our dues. :confused3
I'm pretty sure that you are incorrect about this. Disney keeps inventory at DVC resorts, and i'm pretty sure they will be paying upkeep on that portion.

Sarnia said:
I'm pretty sure that you are incorrect about this. Disney keeps inventory at DVC resorts, and i'm pretty sure they will be paying upkeep on that portion.
Do they keep actual inventory (rooms) or just a percentage of total pioints? If it's points,(which I believe to be the case) they probably just contribute dues at the same rate as we do. If this is the case, non DVC guest who have nothing invested in the resort are using the rooms and IMO are less likely to take care of the furnishings. Not always the case but most DVC owners tend to be carefull and clean up after themselves. At least this is the impression I get from those I have met either online or in person.
I believe this is what OP was getting at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter