Just back from Tokyo Disney Resort - any questions?

meryll83

All it takes is faith and trust...
We’re just back from 5 nights at the MiraCosta (followed by nearly 2 weeks exploring more of Japan).

I don’t think I’ve got it in me to do a full trip report, but the least I can do is answer any questions while it’s still fresh in my mind!
Ask away...

We also did a Tokyo Disney trip and visited the Imperial Palace garden last week. The irises were in full bloom and beautiful!

Thank you! I'm hoping to catch iris in Kanazawa the last week in June and hydrangea in 2 weeks in Kyoto and then again in Kanazawa. :D

I feel guilty saying this, but I am still debating TDR. >>; We went last year, but I am just not 100% committed to going this year. The parks are nice, but I love getting to see more of Japan itself.

Was the MiraCosta worth the price?
Ooh, good question!
We stayed in the cheapest room type, Happy 15 access was definitely useful, and it was great just rolling home on an evening from DisneySea.
We’re glad we did it, but said we now see how easy it is with monorail access from the other Official (non Disney) hotels, so could do that if there is a next time to save money... however, in the same breath, we said that if we could afford to stay there again then we perhaps still would!
It was a really beautiful hotel and does feel special.

Ooh, good question!
We stayed in the cheapest room type, Happy 15 access was definitely useful, and it was great just rolling home on an evening from DisneySea.
We’re glad we did it, but said we now see how easy it is with monorail access from the other Official (non Disney) hotels, so could do that if there is a next time to save money... however, in the same breath, we said that if we could afford to stay there again then we perhaps still would!
It was a really beautiful hotel and does feel special.
We are planning on staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. I just don't know if I can justify the cost of the MiraCosta.

We are planning on staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. I just don't know if I can justify the cost of the MiraCosta.
It’s really easy to get around, you’ll have a great time here!

We are going in October and I have no idea on the hotels. I do not want to spend over $300 US a night - which hotels should I look at? I want to stay at Disney Tokyo... at least at a partner hotel on site.

How do you pay for monorails? We would like to stay 5 days but it seems like there are only 4 day passes?

Thanks!

We are going in October and I have no idea on the hotels. I do not want to spend over $300 US a night - which hotels should I look at? I want to stay at Disney Tokyo... at least at a partner hotel on site.

How do you pay for monorails? We would like to stay 5 days but it seems like there are only 4 day passes?

Thanks!
There aren’t too many partner hotels, you’ll find them listed on the official site - I’d just check the price of each and then see how they’re rated on TripAdvisor and make a decision from there.

We had a monorail pass included, but I did notice a ticket office where they spoke good English... there are probably also machines.
I think you’d need to buy a 1 day additional for your extra day. We were there 5 nights (so over 6 days) and were given 2 x 3 day passes each.

I just booked Hotel Okura Tokyo Bay.. Hope it is a good one! Have you heard anything about it? Thanks!
Not specifically - TripAdvisor is my go to!

It’s really easy to get around, you’ll have a great time here!
I'm really excited! I'm a little sad because I would like to try MiraCosta, but I don't think it's worth the cost/hassle to stay there for 1 or 2 nights.

I also love Tripadvisor!

So I am on Japan planning overload and my trip isn't even until 9/29 through 10/14/19. A lot of the trip is the ABD so my itinerary is pretty set as far as the country proper goes.... buuuut that being said there is still on my own time so

Sorry for the bombardment of questions... Japan General

1) Did you do a tour of the studio Ghibli Museum? If so thoughts... and how long did you spend there?

2) Did you do the Robot Restaurant show? -Trip Advisor high rating

3) Did you visit the Fish market (I believe they are renaming and moving it later this year) and or wait to see the Tuna auction?

4) Did you visit any Pokemon Centers... if so which was your favorite?

5) Did you do any of the animal cafes?

6) Was there any eccentric experience that you would consider so Japanese we should do no matter what?

7) Did you find the Metro easy to navigate?

8) Are either of you Sanrio fans... and or checked out Sanrio Puroland?

9) Did you find toilets that were not confusing to flush?

Disneyland/Disney-Sea Related Questions

1) Were any of the shows subtitled in English- not a big deal just curious

2) What was your favorite Disney place you ate at?

3) Did you visit the 'Downtown Disney' area since you were on the monorail?

4) Did you do any character meets and or a character dining experience?

5) Do they have any sort of Photopass option... or will CM's take pictures of say a couple with our cameras?

6) Do we need special electric adapters?

7) Did you see any magnets in the gift shops? (I collect them from places ive been cheap mementos)

I'm sure more will come to me, but I'm going to cut myself off for now. Thank you in advance =D

So I am on Japan planning overload and my trip isn't even until 9/29 through 10/14/19. A lot of the trip is the ABD so my itinerary is pretty set as far as the country proper goes.... buuuut that being said there is still on my own time so

1) Did you do a tour of the studio Ghibli Museum? If so thoughts... and how long did you spend there?

3) Did you visit the Fish market (I believe they are renaming and moving it later this year) and or wait to see the Tuna auction?

6) Was there any eccentric experience that you would consider so Japanese we should do no matter what?

5) Do they have any sort of Photopass option... or will CM's take pictures of say a couple with our cameras?

7) Did you see any magnets in the gift shops? (I collect them from places ive been cheap mementos)

I'm sure more will come to me, but I'm going to cut myself off for now. Thank you in advance =D

If you're really into Pokemon, you do know about the new Pokemon Cafe, right?

https://www.sweetyhigh.com/read/pokemon-cafe-menu-2018-030218

I've not been there yet, but I do have a reservation and can report back on it some time in July. I find the toilets and the metro easy to navigate, I've also been to Japan many times so... But even on my first trip without knowing any Japanese, I found the metro/trains easy to navigate for the most part. About the only place I have ever had issues is I still sometimes get a little confused underground in Namba. I do fine above ground, but between all the Namba stations (Metro/Nankai/JR and maybe Kintetsu, as well as OCAT) and all the shopping and all the exits it is a little confusing. I am also not fond of Osaka station. I find the transfer from Osaka to the subway a PIA and it feels like you have to walk past insane numbers of shops for the transfer. It use to be a lot easier before they re-did Osaka Station. Shinjuku is the most confusing station in Tokyo imho, but it's not that bad because it has a lot of maps for specific exits. I've not ever gotten lost there.

I love Ikspiari. They have a branch of Lupicia, and it carries special TDR teas.

I've been to the Ikebukuro and Kyoto Pokemon Centers. I miss the old Pokemon Center near Shimbashi/Hamamatsucho. I thought it was nicer than either Ikebukuro or Kyoto. Ikebukuro's was nice, we bought more in Kyoto's because we had more time to shop there as it was closer to our hotel. I've never been to Lalaport. The Kyoto Pokemon Center was also near the Kyoto Disney Store. They sell different things there than in the parks and in the US branches. Japanese Disney Stores have seriously the best hair clips. We're already planning to buy more while there.

I went to Ghibli back when it first opened, it was cute. We're going again this next trip. For us, because JTB was down on the 1st but didn't have any notice as such, it was not fun getting tickets, but we did. I guess the big plus is our tickets cost less?

I did several official character meets in TDR last year (the ones where the character is always out with Photopass photographer) as well as the random characters who come out. Most of those didn't have photopass when we were there. We didn't have a great experience with PhotoPass in Japan, but maybe it has improved since last Summer. We never had a problem finding people to take our picture with our own camera or cell phone though.

We have dietary restrictions so I have a dim view of the food at TDR and I am not impressed with it. It's possible it has improved in a year, but I have strong doubts. The popcorn is absolutely amazing though and I don't usually like popcorn!

Good luck!

We did - we spent half a day there, it's worthwhile going if you are a fan! For me there was plenty of stuff I hadn't heard of before but I still enjoyed a few aspects of it (the film, the quirkyness of the building!)

Yes, it's a night of crazyness. Very japanese- our whole party enjoyed it. I probably wouldn't go again but it was a fun experience.

we didn't do the auction but visited the fish market multiple times - the sushi is amazing and we also had fun trying some of the other food stalls. Remember it's a working market so it's very packed and busy - there isn't a huge amount of time to stop at each stall but it's fun to see whats available and try some things.

My sister went to a shop at tokyo station and there was some sort of release or special event on.. was CRAZY packed but very japanese as they all stood in line :)

We did an owl cafe, wouldn't bother doing again it was short and kind of expensive. Not sure the owls really enjoy the experience either. Maybe a cat one would be better!

Any of the themed cafes (the monster cafe was kooky!). Next time we want to do the mario kart driving. I also think you should do the onsen experience as that is also very uniquely japanese!

Very - we only got lost in one station when it was under construction - but the Japanese people are SO helpful a group of school kids came up and translated for us. Google will tell you which platform to stand at (occasionally it's wrong) and we used another app for booking the bullet trains (hyperdia) we recommend getting a JR pass.

no

Haha I only had one experience of this at a macdonalds where the toilet just wouldn't work! Otherwise you can figure it out from diagrams or there is english on them. Note in far out places (country) and sometimes at smaller train stations there will often be squat toilets.

we only went to one at the magic lamp theatre and they gave you this thing which scrolled through translation. It broke half way in the show!

So many! Magellans it's fantastic. We also liked Grandma Sarahs and Camp Woodchuck. We also did a lot of snacking (pop corn flavours) and the green mochi aliens!

We didn't visit downtown at all.

Our package included character breakfast at the ambassador hotel and this was actually great fun!

Nope. We had cms take our photo and quite often other tourists would too or school kids were also very helpful (we featured in a number of selfies whilst waiting in line)

Yes. I also HIGHLY recommend hiring a wireless router at the airport - provides you internet everywhere and you just drop it back at the end of the trip. We also carried a power pack to charge our phones

Yes! And they had some great japanese food magnets at some places we visited.

I never visited the Tsukiji Fish Market, but my sister did. Getting into the tuna auction could require staying up all night since there are very limited spots and in busy period they fill out fast.

Visited Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo and the store at Tokyo Station. My favorite was the one in Osaka. Like Karly said, check out the new one and the Pokemon Cafe too.

www.hyperdia.com is your friend! Enter your station name, the station you want to go to and it will tell you which line to use, the platform and where to transfer. Keep your eyes open: there are signs and indications of distances for platforms and exits.

I find Hello Kitty cute and I made a point of riding the Hello Kitty Cupcake Dream ride at Universal Studios Japan. You can meet her there too. As for Sanrio Puroland, I need to check out a wacky DVD where a group of rough and tough japanese wrestlers went to Sanrio Puroland...

They are not too confusing. Lots of them now have english stickers. I love the bidet feature so much I have to avoid going to a hardware store each trip so I don't buy one to take home!

The Little Mermaid that was shown before the current one had portable translation units to english. For rides at Tokyo DisneySea, some have fliers that explain the premise. Ask the cast members for one at the entrance.

I have a few favorites. Camp Woodchuck Kitchen food is odd, but the seating area is out of this world and any Ducktales fans will love it. Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall is incredible too.

Ikspiari is an amazing mall with a good food court in the basement. The best Disney music selection is there too in the Museum Lane, 2F. It is called Shinseido and they have a full wall of Tokyo Disney park music.

Character dining is hard to get into as reservations need to be done 30 days in advance by phone or the japanese reservation site. As for character meet and greet, there are some timed meet and greets with queues in the Lost River Delta at Tokyo DisneySea and Toontown in Tokyo Disneyland. Else, keep your eyes open! You can find characters everywhere: I met Robin Hood, Jiminy Cricket, Prince John at the main entrance of Tokyo Disneyland and ran into Max, Panchito and Jose Carioca in the Lost River Delta. Those are wandering characters.

They will take photos with your cameras. Photopass would be on a japanese site.

You need to use two prong devices as their power voltage is 100V while North America is 110V-120V. Devices like hairdryers won't work while most cell phones chargers are ok with power 100V to 220V.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions...
You'll have a great time! Ask away if you think of anything else!
Answers below...

Japan General

1) Did you do a tour of the studio Ghibli Museum? If so thoughts... and how long did you spend there
So we did a 10 day organised tour through Inside Japan, sandwiched between Disney on our own time and a couple of extra days in Tokyo afterwards. Tickets to the Ghibli museum were included as part of the tour. We were there for about 1.5 hours (until kicking out time at 6pm) - I'd thought this might be too long as it's not a huge museum, and we usually whip around things like this, but actually, we probably could have done with a little longer... The gift shop was very busy, so took quite a long time just to navigate all around that!

We did - it's nuts! I'd definitely recommend this as an "only in Japan" experience. We did this as part of our tour, and despite it being called 'Restaurant' they'd steered us away from the food as they said it wasn't great and we had our own meal afterwards. So we just bought drinks here (they had a good selection, including cocktails), but it looked easy to order what you wanted from snacks to main meals.

This was actually supposed to be part of the tour, but our leader told us it's just a fish market and not that exciting really, plus difficult to navigate with groups, as it is a working market, so you don't want to get in the way! We might have visited this ourselves if we'd had more time, but I've read an early get up is best.

We first saw the one in Sunshine City at Ikebukuro - I was a bit disappointed to discover it's just a shop - Center made it sounds like something more interesting went on there! We also had a reservation for the new Pokemon Cafe (if you're interested in this you need to make advance reservations - we used Google Chrome with the translate option, as booking is in Japanese). I also found a useful article, Google will find it for you - something like "How to make Pokemon Cafe reservations". The food was pretty decent here, and obviously very kawaii and Pikachu himself made an appearance!
I can't quite remember the location of the Cafe (somewhere walkable from Tokyo Station), and part of a large department store...

We have Cat Cafes now in England, so we actually didn't bother, but we saw adverts for so many - cats, dogs, owls, otters - all sorts! Some of our group went to a pug cafe in Kyoto which looked fun, but apparently was a bit in the middle of nowhere!

We did some karaoke, but again, this wasn't really different to the karaoke booth places you get in our own country now. We did a samurai sword fighting experience as part of the tour, which was quite fun.
We tested out one of the Puri photobooths, that's worth a go for 400 yen! Make sure you have a look in an arcade, there are some serious skills, particularly on the dance machines!
I assume you'll get a good opportunity to visit the temples and shrines, they're very peaceful and unique to see.
I don't know if you'll get chance to visit Hiroshima, but that was our surprise - we really enjoyed our time there. We also caught a ferry from there to Miyajima Island, definitely worth a visit, and is inhabited by some very friendly wild deer.
Definitely take time to try out the street food - our favourites were takoyaki, okonomiyaki and yatsuhashi (I'll let you Google those!)

Most of the time we found it very straightforward and well sign posted. We'd hired a portable WiFi for the duration of our stay which we picked up at the airport - I'd definitely recommend this, and Google maps was great for helping us find which routes, lines and times we needed. Shinjuku was a little tricky, it's the world's largest station after all, but there are quite a few staff around, and everyone was very helpful in making sure we headed in the right direction to lines that were less obviously signposted until you got a little nearer.

Sorry, I'm not even in the loop of what Sanrio is! :rotfl:

The only one that threw us was the Disney hotel one - most seem to have a flush button alongside all the others for washing, drying, sounds etc. but the one in the MiraCosta room had a standard flush handle at the back, where we didn't think to look immediately!

We were asked if we wanted a device to translate for us at the Tiki Room, but decided it'd be fun to watch it in Japanese! I didn't notice any others...

My favourite thing, above all of the restaurants we went to, were actually the snacks! I enjoyed these more than the set meals!
The Chandu tail from Sultan's Oasis, Mike's melon bread from the Sweetheart Cafe and the Melon lightsaber churro from Pan Galactic Pizza Port were probably my favourites. You should also try the Little Green Men mochi in DisneySea, they're very kawaii!
I can give you more detail on the sit down restaurants we tried if it helps, but these weren't the memorable moments for me!

We did, it's much less like a Downtown Disney than you'd be used to though - much more independent shopping. We didn't find we needed to spend that much time there. I agree with the previous posted that the shop selling Disney Park CDs was a highlight - they seemed to have years worth of all the seasonal music, tonnes to look through!

We didn't do any character dining, and only met the roaming walk up characters. There were a handful of characters you needed to queue to meet, but we didn't bother with any of these. Just jump on in and get those snaps!

I believe they do - TDR Explorer have a newly released ebook I'd recommend reading, and they refer to it, but it sounds like you have to choose a set number of photos to be put onto a CD. We just had CMs take pictures on our camera, they were happy to do so.

We're from the UK and I'd read we could just use the same adaptor we use when we go to the US and did so without any issues...

I didn't really notice, but I'm sure they must have!

Japan General

I did this as an exchange student & had a wonderful experience. We spent a long while there and I am not someone who is interested in anime or who had seen many Ghibli films at the time. I still have no interest in anime in general but have since seen every Ghibli film :) It made quite an impression.

I have never done it but it's probably not a bad show. Depends on what you're looking for. I feel like the people who run it think tourists are looking for some kind of "Weird Japan!" experience & that is what they provide. You're probably not going to find anything like it elsewhere in the world, so you might as well go if it interests you.

Have never done this either. It's not something I'm interested in. I am happy just to eat the fish later.

I've only been to one. I couldn't tell you which one it was. My friend who loves Pokemon seemed to enjoy it. I did go to the cafe a few weeks ago & liked that a lot.

I've done the cat, owl, rabbit & porcupine cafes. All were good. You can't really go wrong here.

"Japanese" & "eccentric" really aren't synonyms. I think this goes back to the "Weird Japan!" kind of thing that they do for tourists, which is fun and all but probably gives people a skewed idea of what the country is actually like. If you want a real Japanese experience then you want to do something like visit an onsen, go to a great sushi restaurant (i.e. not one with a conveyor belt), climb Mt. Takao, etc.

You will probably have a lot of trouble for a few trips & then you will have no trouble at all. Attendants are friendly and will help you. Many signs are in both English & Japanese.

Puroland is designed for little kids, and I say this as a card-carrying member of the Cinnamoroll fan club. Literally. If you like Cinnamoroll, check out the Cinnamoroll Cafe. I really love the food & we even got to meet King Cinnamon once.

When in doubt, stand back and press all the buttons until you find the one that works. I say "stand back" because one of them will be the bidet.

Most don't have subtitles or translation devices. The children's shows like My Friend Duffy don't need much in the way of translation. I am not going to recommend that you spend one of your limited lunches in DisneySea watching My Friend Duffy.

I think Magellan's is the best one I have done that would also be feasible for you to do.

Yes but I live nearby. I wouldn't take time out of a trip of 2-3 days to go there.

I only do character meets for Duffy & Friends or seasonal greetings/special outfits. The other characters are no different than those you meet in WDW.

PhotoPass is Japanese-only but they will happily take photos with your cameras.

Not exactly. Japanese power outlets will accept standard US two-prong plugs. If your plug has three prongs or is polarized (one side bigger than the other), you need an adapter.

Japanese people don't typically put magnets on their refrigerators so it's not a popular souvenir here, but they do have them & the selection isn't too bad, even if it's not as extensive as what you might find elsewhere.

Japan General

Yes. Maybe a couple of hours in the museum itself. Another hour or so in the surrounding parkland.

It's lovely to look at and explore. But, not much to do there.

No. But, my brother-in-law has done it and enjoyed it.

No and no. But, my brother-in-law's girlfriend did it (he stayed in bed) and enjoyed it. I couldn't imagine getting up at that time in the morning, traveling and standing in line for hours just to see fish.

Yes. No idea. The ones we visited were basically just big gift stores selling lots of toys.

No.

No.

Yes. But, since it was available, we have used Google Maps which tells you which platform to go to, etc. So, it's now super easy. Even before Google Maps included detailed public transport information, we found it pretty easy.

No.

Yes - all of them. The "flush" button is normally obvious. It's all of the other buttons which can be confusing (and surprising when pressed).

Yes. The magician show in Agrabah in DisneySea has an iPad version with subtitles from memory. We didn't bother using it on our recent visits.

I can't think of any other shows with subtitles.

Magellan's.

Yes.

Yes. Stationary and roaming character meets. No character dining experiences.

Not sure about Photopass - if so, we've never used it. We've never had issues asking cast members or other guests to take our photo (other than general reluctance to disturb someone else).

I would presume so, unless you're from a country which happens to use identical power sockets.

Not that I recall, but it's not something I look for as a souvenir.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!