Just Back From Vacation

Ladyleslie68

Earning My Ears
I know how much I enjoy reading other people's reports when they come back...so I thought I would just share my two cents for those looking to plan who are new or experienced planners who are just curious...we had originally planned on arriving on Monday, 8/31 but with the Hurricane scare, I was afraid our flight would be cancelled and there was no way after all my planning that I was going to let that happen! Jet Blue thankfully allowed us to change our flight due to the weather at no cost to me and so we were able to fly down on Sunday the 30th instead. Now of course I had to add on an additional nights stay at our hotel (Wilderness Lodge) but I did not add another pass day. I did what I had read others on here do....we dropped our stuff, headed down to Downtown Disney and then hit the hay early so that we could hit the parks fresh in the morning. I love that we had a full day at the parks as opposed to flying in, being tired and then rushing to the parks. We were going to be there for 6 days so we would have plenty of time to do everything. My kids are 7 and 5 and they fared so much better on a good nights sleep!
In any event, I'm not sure if people were scared off from the Hurricane or if most of the country was back in school (our town didn't start until the 8th) but the parks were empty! I have never seen anything like it...we just walked on rides with no waits...the CMs were just standing around because there were no crowds...the weather was perfect...a little overcast but no rain....by Wed, the sun was out full force and man did it get hot.....really hot....but again, no crowds! We were able to do all our rides, some several times over, and did stuff we never thought we'd get to do. We rode Mine Train 3 times....all without FP! Note: we purchased Memory Maker and it takes pics of you on the rude AND sends you a video which encorporates you riding on the ride! Amazing! It's like watching a commercial for the ride and you are in it! The technology is amazing that it knows from your magic band when you are on the ride and knows to send that image to your account. My kids loved Mine Train and we also did Star Tours at HS and they loved that too. I was hesitant after reading reviews that it would be too scary motion wise for them but nope! I just wanted to add that after reading hundreds of posts of people recommending things to try, I went there wanting to try 3 things in particular:
1. Dole Whip - oh my god...so good...so refreshing...definitely a must now on each trip.
2. Waffle Sandwich at Sleepy Hollow in Liberty Square - I couldn't decide between the fruit and Nutella one or the spicy and sweet chicken one which comes with some broccoli slaw on top. The chicken was a tad but spicy for me but very good....the fruit and Nutella....again, oh my god....it was served warm so the chocolate is warm on top of the warm fruit- strawberries, bananas and blueberries....just to die for...another must now on every trip.
3. Carrot Cake Cookie at The Writers Stop at Hollywood Studios- I thought it would just be carrot cake in the shape of a cookie...imagine my delight when I realized it was actually to Cakey like cookies with cream cheese filling in between the two. Pure yummy deliciousness!

We loved staying at WL again...the pool is a huge hit with my kids..they have activities and music by the pool every afternoon...campfire and s'mores on the beach every night and taking the boat over to MK is just so quick and easy. Funny story...on one of the trips back, we were the only ones on the boat...it was kind if like having our own private yacht...there were three men in charge of the boat...one of them kept making the announcements that they always make...please keep hands inside...when we approach the dock, remain seated etc...after a few of these announcements, my 5 year old daughter yells, "Who are you talking to? There is no one on the boat but us!" The other two men were hysterical!

On our last trip, I had made lots of ADRs and had things planned to the hilt. This time, I made only 2 ADRs, we paid OOP and took the room discount which worked out better for us and we enjoyed it so much more...just eating whenever we got hungry etc. We had breakfast at Crystal Plaza which was great! They have these yummy French toast bites covered in cinnamon and sugar! The other place we are was BOG for dinner. While the castle itself is unbelievable....make sure you see all the rooms..I have to admit that I found the food lacking...except for the dessert that is! Next time I'd like to try lunch.

So thanks for listening. We had a great trip and can't wait to go back! Wonder how soon my husband will let me plan another trip! Lol!

We've been there those dates in the past as well and found all the rides as you did... Pretty much walk on! But alas, after I retired 2 years ago (from a crazy demanding hospital nursing job), I was offered a fabulous fabulous fabulous (can ya tell I love it) job doing community health and teaching... So now I'm doing lesson plans those dates and dreaming of WDW! Lol. Glad you had such a fun experience!

Reading your descriptions of the desserts made me go look up a recipe for carrot cake cookies! Lol... I can't wait 'til December to try them! It all sounds yummy!

Every time we go I debate getting one of the waffles.....in some pictures I've seen the chicken looks a little thick for my taste. The nutella one also sounds so awesome....maybe I'll finally try one in Nov!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter