Just back from Wonder....a few thoughts

S

Shawna

We (husband and I) took our first Disney Cruise last weekend (13th - 16th) after spending 7 days at the resort. The ship was wonderful!!! Lots of chances to meet characters...which we love to do. Food was also very good and I'm a pretty picky eater.

Our biggest and probably only mistake though the whole trip was Nassau. I have been there once before (over a year ago) and for some reason I don't remember it being so nasty??? We walked around in the shopping area next to the boat dock but didn't go to the straw huts.....don't really think I was missing anything. We went over to Paradise Island, which was much better and walked the beach.....very pretty. We were scheduled to go to the Dolphine encounter at 3:30 and when we were done with Paradise Island it was about noon. We went back to the ship and took a nap. We should of never left the ship until we were ready to go to the DE. After our nap we paid a taxi again and went to the Dolphin swim. This was great!!! I can't say enough about it....very expensive but well worth it!
Castaway was a big highlight in our trip! Very fun. We first rented bikes and they took about 45 minutes. Nice way to see the rest of the island. Then we snorkeled. This was very exhausting but we were focused on finding the Mickey and we did!! He is inbetween A and B. Ask the lifeguard that is out there. Then we ate at Cookies, got a picture with Minnie and walked the island a bit. Then we got a tube and floated for a while....got really sunburned doing this. Then we rented a paddle boat. We did a lot and it was really fun. I would do it all over again the same way! Get up early for this island.....you won't be disappointed!
Any questions I would be happy to answer :earsboy:

Glad you had a great trip! I agree about Nassau...not the nicest place around. ;)
This might be a stupid question, but where did you get the tubes to float in at CC? Did you have to rent them? How much? Could you float at the adult beach? What are they like, just a regular one person inner tube thing? That sounds like fun, and Id like to try it. Thanks for the idea.

We used a tube and a float. They are easy to find and WONDERFUL to use. Especially at the adult area -- Serenity Bay. A cast member actually took our drink order while we were floating in the sea. That was my most memorable moment from the trip.

Note - if you rent a float at the family beach and move to the adult beach - just leave your tube and tell them at Serenity Bay.

We bought the package that includes bikes, snorkel and a float.....this was the way to go because we took advantage of all of them. The cost was $30 a person. I think it was like $6.00 for a tube alone. They also tell you it's only for an hour but you can use them and the bikes as long as you want. An hour for each was plenty.

Thanks! Its funny, I dont remember seeing any tubes when we went before. That sounds like fun. Next time we plan to go parasailing in the morning, then have lunch. I was thinking of just hanging on the beach, maybe taking a walk, after lunch, but floating around for a while sounds very enjoyable...not to mention getting drinks served to us in the water. :cool:
Now I guess I just have to hope we make it to Castaway Cay and the weather holds out. :rolleyes:

Can you tell me more about your Swim with the Dolphins at 3:30PM. We have the same time for our upcoming cruise in January and we were wondering if there is enough time to get back for dinner/show at 6PM. Did you take a taxi on the return trip to the cruise ship? Was it easy to get? What time did you start the swim? Leave the complex? We are really looking forward to it. Did you buy any pictures? How much? VHS tape? Hubby will be filming Sam and I, so we'll probably buy a few of the photos.

Thanks in advance.
Tina
1/17/02:bounce:

Since we did not book the swim through Disney we had to go to the Ferry Terminal on Paradise Island....we took a taxi for $8.00 (I think)....very easy to get to.
We almost ended up being the only ones for the Dolphin Swim, the rest of the people were there for the Dolphin Encounter. So a few people in the DE decided to go for the swim so there ended up being a couple more people with us. It would of been nice to have the dolphins all to ourselves;) Once you are in the water it takes about 45 minutes to an hour. We wore wet suits and I'm assuming in January you will probably have to too.

The pictures are very nice but kinda pricey. We ended buying three. They are $14.95 for a 4x6 and I think the the video was $45.00....not sure cause I didn't get it....if your husband video tapes it then you won't need to buy theres. We also took water camera's and the pics turned out pretty good!

We had the 8:30 seating for dinner and had plenty of time for that. I'm not exactly sure what time we got back?? I'm thinking about 6:00. The nice thing too is they take you back to the boat docks so you don't have to take a taxi back to the ship. We also didn't go to the show that night. It wasn't anything we really wanted to see. They save there best (hercules and Disney Dreams) for Thursday and Saturday. If you have a 6:30 seating you might be pushing it to get back and get ready......guess it depends on how fast you can get ready.
Hope this help!!! Have a great time :)

Shawna,

Do they take you back in the boat from the dolphin swim to the Wonder? Did you fly threw the air with dolphins behind you (dolphin propultion)? I think this 38 yr old may pass on that and let the 13 year old go twice. We have late seating, too. I was worried about the show. I think it's Who Want's to Be a Mouseketter? We can change clothes after the show if we are running late. We are fast dressers. We are all really excited about the Dolphin Swim. Good idea about the water camera!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Tina

Yupe, they take you right back to the Wonder afterwards. They will first stop at the Ferry Terminal but don't get off there otherwise you will have to pay for the taxi to get back to the boat.

Yes me and my husband both did the dolphin push......don't miss out on it, you will probably regret it later! It was the best part! As long as you arch your back and get your arms up it will be okay! My mom, who is almost 50 and chubby went in June and she loved it! My 18 year sister also did it and had a hard time with it cause she didn't put here arms up high enough and had a lot of water in her face. You really should do it though;)

You will also have time inbetween the show and dinner to get ready...we usually had about an hour!
Anything else I would be happy to answer!!!!

How did you book the Dolphin swim outside of DCL? Can you give me a phone/web adress? My inlaws/young kids are planning on going...they can't swim...should we stick to the encounter vs. the swim? You all seem so knowledgable...any advice would be great! We currently have the Blue Lagoon/Dolphin reserved...but I am not sure if we should do it.

Also...do you know if I can just go...without paying...or partial pay... and be the picture taker?

I called Dolphin Encounters directly at (242)363-1003 during the hours of 8AM-5PM. They have a nice website at www.dolphinswims.com . I'm really excited about our upcoming trip. A little over two weeks. I'm almost positive that I'm going to do that dolphin push. Well, probably 90% sure. All observers must pay $15 to watch. I believe the Dolphin Encounter you are waist high, so swimming isn't necessary, but the Dolphin Swim I believe you must be able to tread water. I haven't done it son I can't say for sure.

Hope this helps.
Tina
Wonder 1/17/02

I also called the Dolphin swim directly and that is how I booked it. I didn't want to take the chance of it being all booked up on the ship.....which happen to me on my first cruise (on carnival) and we ended up going to Stingray City and swimming with the Stingrays....which I might add was neat but I found it kinda scarey??
In the Dolphin Swim you really....IMO......don't really have to know how to swim. You have a life jacket on and basically you pretty much just sit and float. You do however have to be able to get out so far away from the dock for the dophine to be able to push you.

According to their web site, participants of the Dolphin Swim are required to wear life jackets. But the purpose of the jacket is to allow you to float and interact with the dolphins rather than be distracted by the need to tread water.

Also, if you want to swim with the dolphins, you need to book that directly with the company. The ship's excursion is just for the Dolphin Experience which involves standing on a platform in water 3 feet deep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter