Just back! Here's where we ate

whalewatcher

Travel Buff
We're back from a 1/1 to 1/5 trip to WDW with 4 adults and 4 kids ages 3 to 6. Here is a quick review of where we ate:

Mama Melrose (MGM): We did the Fantasmic dinner package with the show at 6:30 and dinner at 8:00.

First of all, the dinner pkge rules change so much it could make your head spin. Make your PS on regular dining number. Enter park near gas station at main park entrance at 6:00, NOT at fantasmic theater entrance. Second of all, this show is scary! This is our first time at the show and our 5 yr old had to be taken out of the theater. They could really trim a good 5-10 minutes of bad stuff out of the show and it would flow much nicer.

We were so in love with the Osborne Lights and snow effects that we were late for PS. Oh well, the staff at Mama Melrose couldn't have been nicer. The server was amazing and so were the drinks, salads, pizzas and desserts. However, the entrees were way weird. I expected gooey pasta with lots of sauce but nothing this basic was available. Don't bother with the Veal/Risotto thing or the Penne vodka. Rating: C

The Mara (AKL): We stayed at the AKL and this place was very quick and convenient. They bring the food to your table or you can get take out for a quick breakfast before going to the parks. The food is basic counter service stuff. Rating: B

Boma (AKL): We ate here for breakfast and dinner and loved it. Buffet works great with kids b/c they can pick and choose. Plenty of both african and american foods to choose between. Service was great. Make sure you have PS for peak times b/c this place is popular. Rating: A

Fulton Crab House (DD): We were seated on the third floor in a private party-type room with some other big groups. This worked out fine since the kids were a little bouncy. Kids ordered lobster and the server opened their lobster for us at the table. Boy was that helpful! In fact we had 4 people buzzing around our table: 1 server, 2 bus boys, and 1 wine steward. The 2 moms ordered the broiled lobsters but we actually like the kids' steamed lobster better. The king crab claws are amazing. Don't forget, you get a 10% discount with the Disney Club card. Rating: A

Crystal Palace (MK): We ate lunch there at 11:45. Lunch had just started and the seating process was way backed up. Food was your basic buffet quality but nothing beats the kid's buffet and popular Pooh characters. Rating: B

Donald's Breakfastasaurus (AK): We ate breakfast there at 8:30. It was kind of cool to breeze into the park before it was open. This particular morning was around 45 degrees and we were freezing waiting outside to be seated. Food was full breakfast buffet and character interaction was good. Rating: B+

Pizzafari (AK): We ate lunch there and loved it. No wait. Pizza was good and the tap coke was sent from heaven. Rating: A-

ABC Commissary (MGM): We ate a late lunch there. This place moves at a snail's pace! It was all I could do not to jump over the counter and serve myself. And finding ketchup involved waiting in yet another line. Cheeseburgers were below average. Kids seemed to like the mac and cheese. Rating: D

Great Britain Fish and Chips Counterservice (Epcot): Kids were starving and we were desparate. Should have stopped at Electric Umbrella before hitting World Showcase. Fish and chips were bland. Kids liked the hot dogs and bag o' chips. Adults liked the bass ale. Rating: C

Let me know if I can answer any questions!!!!

Thanks for the reviews.

It seems CP is always backed up!

Let me add another big "A" rating for Pizzafari. I thought it was great. Those little pizzas are good, I don't care what any of the true gourmet people say. It was nice and cool and airy in there. A great place to kick back and relax at AK. :D

Just a FYI, at MM you can order spaghetti with sauce as an entree even though its not on the adult menu...or at least thats what our server told us. We sat down to dinner there in August, a couple weeks after the menu changed. We were very disappointed in the new offerings too(I had really wanted the chicken broccoli and pasta dish that they used to have). Our waiter told us they offer spaghetti, even though its not on the menu. Dont know why it isnt there. :confused:
BTW, I agree, the pizza, salad, and drinks(never had dessert) are all great, but the new entrees werent that good.

CamColt: You know...I should have thought of that. The kids all got spaghetti. I should have just ordered spaghetti with sauce instead of wasting the penne vodka pork thing I couldn't eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter