Just back: me and my ECV (long)

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
Let me preface this by saying that I've rented an ECV at the parks the past four summers, and this was the *wildest* experience by far...

DM and I both rented ECVs at each park we went to for the first seven days. There was a terrible lack of continuity between how this was handled from park to park. All I can say is: make sure you get a receipt, a colored card, and that they're stamped and stapled (this seems way beyond the scope of some CMs). Also, if you're parkhopping, have them call ahead to your next park and reserve one for you when you turn yours in, and make sure you're given back a DATED receipt (twice they forgot to stamp mine). MK was out of them in the late afternoons/evenings quite often (we only went there in the a.m.'s, crowds were too much later). People were literally "waiting" for one (which could be quite a wait since CMs would not rerent a "used" one out until it had been recharged past 80%). Definately the poorest trained (I prefer to think that, rather than uncaring!) CMs we dealt with anywhere.

If you've never used one before, definately practice at your local grocery store or WM beforehand, if possible. Don't choose MK as your practice park! (Epcot is nice and open!) DM was horrified at how people constantly stopped in front of her, cut across, etc. My plan was to make eye contact with oncoming traffic when possible, stay in a straight line, and as far to the right as possible. DS10 ran interference for us quite a bit, also. We did the two cruises for the fireworks, and avoided the crowds that way, too.

I love the old rides where the CMs seem to watch out for the ECV users! Soaring was terrible, first we had to find the elevator (back around the corner), then it was a very small one, so I pulled straight in, and backed straight out. Someone with cussed me out over being unwilling to maneuver around in the elevator, but the day before my son had literally picked up the back of someone's ECV that was *stuck* in the elevator (had gone in and turned sideways and couldn't get out, poor woman was in tears!). Then, you go in the que with everyone else (which is fine), except there are some very tight turns, especially right at the end (a strong CM literally had to help me finagle that last turn!). You can drive basically right up to your (end) seat, which is nice. (Ride itself was wonderful, and well worth it.) (Mom felt this way about the Buzz Lightyear que, too, that the turns were VERY tight, and she felt ashamed about holding up people behind her.)

I went with DS on MS, and just told the CM I was going to do the "chicken out" but wanted to see the preshow. Very cool! I literally got to do everything except load up into the ride.

Went on Mickey Milestone tour, and had a great time. Guide was extremely courteous of the two of us on our ECVs, just wonderful. ECVs are not allowed on the train, though, so we scooted over to Toontown while the rest of the party rode the train. Guide apologized profusely, but we didn't want to transfer to a wheelchair, then have to walk back across the park to retrieve our ECVs. Characters treated us just like everyone else!

Rented from Randy's my last three days (when we were going offsite, shopping, etc, and I knew I wouldn't have the stamina to walk). Randy's was very prompt and professional. This ECV went much faster and was more manueverable than the park rentals. First one I got was a squealer, and they brought out a replacement right away. I got the plus size person one (I was right on the border and didn't want to max out the poor thing!), and it was a little wider to navigate, especially backing onto the buses. Most of the drivers were very nice, only one kept repeating "put it there, put it there", as I was trying to "parallel park" it in the spot! All asked me if I could transfer to a seat, which wasn't a problem, except that I did get some dirty looks when the bus was really crowded, and (ignorant) people wondered why I took up a seat that they could be sitting on.

Seaworld day was WONDERFUL! Mears picked us up in a van with only us in it (lift for the ECV), right on time, and very professional. I overtipped because I felt as though the driver would be making more driving a van with a full load of people. I asked at the first window about a disabilities guide, and they charged both myself and DS only fifty percent for the disability discount, even though I did not ask for it and had not counted on it. The guide was excellent, paths wide, and all CMs very helpful. As much as I love WDW, they could learn a few things from SW!

With the price increase and poor attitudes of the park CMs, I would definately rent an ECV from offsite in the future. That way you can practice manuevers at your resort before hitting the parks, too. For those of us who need them, they're really lifesavers.

Terri

Thanks for a very complete report.

Re: getting an ecv if you park hop. From what other people have posted, whether or not they will call ahead and save one for you depends on how busy it is. If the park you are going to is busy, it's very possible that they rrented out all they had soon after the park opened. So whether or not they will have any for you will depend on how many have been turned back in and whether (like you mentioned) enough time has passed to recharge.

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip report with us. I used a Disney ECV for the first two years that I needed one. I ran into similar issues. We tend to park hop & there is no guarantee of an ECV available in the second park. That was very frustrating. Also frustrating for me with the Disney ECVs was how many would "die" throughout the parks.

In 2001 at the EPCOT pin event I commented that whoever sets up the lines should drive a Disney ECV through them.

What is the Mickey Milestone tour? Sounds interesting ...

I ditto your comments & observations about Sea World. We have been there twice in the last two years. I didn't even realize they have a disability guide. I never needed one because their employees seem to be very observant. I also like that if you drive to Sea World, the handicapped parking is right outside the entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter