• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back...not a bad meal to be had!!!

chigirl

DIS Veteran
Returned 10/29 from a 10/22-10/29 stay and had a great round of meals this time. Went last year in Sept and had a few clunkers (Chef Mickeys/Pizza Planet/Cosmic Rays). Both years on the DDP. Here is a quick round-up:

DH turned 40 on the trip...hearty eater
Me, 38, likes to try new foods
DD, 13, skinny and picky
DS, 9, eats like a bird but tries everything

Counter Service:
Caseys...good as usual, not Chicago hot dog good, but tasty

Earl of Sandwich..great bread, too noisy!

Peco's Bills...tasty, but not Portillos of course (Chicagoans know this), good
toppings, I don't like hot cheese sauce so no complaints from me
that they took it off; CM had no problem letting our DS order
from adult menu

Sasagoula Floatworks in POFQ...tasty King Creole breakfast platters!

Tusker House...always good chicken, hard to find a table

Wolfgang Puck Express...THE BEST counter service! Awesome Creme Brulee;
the best value for the DDP! We had Linguine with
chicken bolognese...tasty! Ate here twice!

Flatbread Grill in MGM...must have their pulled pork sub!!! Yum!!!!

Table Service:

1900 Park faire Breakfast...
How great! The manager is very on top of things. Good food & character interaction. Alice and the Mad Hatter are divine! Everything was hot and tasty. Great fresh squeezed OJ!

Le Cellier..
two years running, both times awesome. Still have the old kids menu here.
Had mushroom fillets, DD had 14 oz New York strip. Great mussels appetizer.
Our server Tanis was great, very attentive. No wait at all for our table. You also get the speciality drinks on the DDP: I had the chocolate rasberry shake. YUMMMMMMMM!

Brown Derby...Very fine. Very good service. As good as any fine place I went to in Chicago. Pan-seared grouper is great. I also had the scallops appetizer w/the BBQ pork belly. Sounds bad but is great. The flourless chocolate cake is a work of art, so pretty. Our server Carlos was gracious and attentive. I loved this place. I know it gets bad reviews here, but I thought it was wonderful. Spent DH birthday here. Excellent Maker's Mark Manhattan, shaken table-side. Worth the 2 credits, except they DO have the new limited kids menu, but the gladly substituted for my DS and let him have an adult appetizer, too.

LTT..
Went here during MNSSHP. My DH was dressed as Walt Disney, so you can imagine the attention he received. Pluto was pretending to be riding a broom, very funny. I called him Harry Pluto and he liked it. All tasty food...simple and homey, nothing special but tasty. Like an average mom cook would make. The butter and hot rolls are great. Beautiful, authentic room. I'd go here again for the character interaction.

San Angel Inn...
Hosts were nasty and rude, but our server was good. Pretty atmosphere. I had read so many bad reviews here that I expected to die from Listeria or go blind from the darkness, but it was fine. DH wanted to go, so we did. Ceviche appetizer was tasty, as were the nachos. I had the Plata Mexicana and the steak was very tender. Flan was ok. This place is not as bad as everyone says...I think people are used to chains like On the Border and compare it to that. It is ok.

Crystal Palace...
Breakfast. This place was great! The hostess Natalie is a charming girl. The food here is very fresh and tasty, like 1900 Park faire. We love breakfast and there is plenty here for everyone. The manager here, too, was great. She made sure the characters went to all of the tables and kept the show running smoothly. Here and at 1900 Park faire I saw the best management in action. Good, crisp bacon. The puffed french toast is very good, it is coated in sugar & cinnamon. Tons of choices. DS loved the charcter waffles, but didn't want to eat them until the characters walked by, which was funny.The characters came around twice. Only complaint with any meals is DISNEY NESCAFE COFFEE SUCKS!!!

We also had many great snacks, because we used credits at Epcot for the F&W festival. Yummy! Plus Dole Whips, and you couldn't do that last year.

I would 100% do the DDP again. Only "new healthy menu" for kids we encountered was at Brown Derby. San Angel had the old menu and we did 3 character meals, so no problems with that. Like I said, they took care of my son at Brown Derby...left the chicken off the pizza and no brown sugar on the apples. He was fine...counter service for him, too was ok, since all places let him order off the adults menu. We just split up the cards...DH used his for 2 and I used mine for 2, since our cards said 3 adults and 1 child.
Picky DD tried lots of new food and gained 5 pounds on the trip.

Final word...do try the caramel corn at Sleepy Hollow in MK. It is wonderful!
Freshly made in copper kettles! At $3.99 for a large tub, it is a great value, too. popcorn::

We were also there at the same time and agree the food was great. Like you, we enjoyed Tusker House, Le Cellier and Wolfgang Puck's My best surprise all week was the one I'd worried about most - Marrrakesh. I'd booked it as a treat for my DH (belly dancers do it for him), but worried whether teenage sons would like it. Apart from the worry that the belly dancer might ask them to dance (she sensibly went for little girls instead) the boys loved it. It was my 'meat and potatoes' son's favourite restaurant all week.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

chigirl, the awesome creme brulee is something I definitely want to try; however, the menu I pull up on allears does not list creme brulee at the Wolfgang Express--just checking to make sure that's where you had it, so that when I drag my DH and DS7 over there next month, we actually find it and its not a wasted trip--I'll go anywhere for an awesome creme brulee :teeth:

Crem brulee is definitely on the menu at WPE in the Marketplace - awesome, we had it just over a week ago.

fws said:
Crem brulee is definitely on the menu at WPE in the Marketplace - awesome, we had it just over a week ago.

Correct!
The other desserts are "grab and go" brownies & cookies which are also good...the creme brulee they bring to your table w/your food. Not a fancy presentation, but good custard and the brulee top is crisp and sweet, very good, and topped with a strawberry. Yum!!!

Heheheh. They can't ALL be Portillo's you know! :rotfl2:

I tend to get bored with the hot dog/hamburger fare, but if I have to have
it in the MK, I go to Cosmic Ray's or Pecos Bill's. Sometimes I just want
a tuna sandwich, and Columbia Harbor House has the best white albacore
tuna salad sandwich I've found in WDW.

I like Tusker House as well, but the Flame Tree BBQ has a really good BBQ
beef (or pork if that's your thing) with a tasty side of beans.

I agree also with Brown Derby. I haven't had a bad meal there yet. :)

Great reviews!

Thanks for the reviews, chigirl!

This is OT but I'd love to see a picture of your husband as Walt. Can you post one....please!! I bet it was great. :)

Who were you dressed up to be?

Thanks again for the reviews!!

Thanks for your reviews chigirl. I can hardly wait for our trip in February. :) Our DS, who is 8, also is a picky eater. We will be on the dining plan so I'm sure he'll be eating a lot of chicken fingers! Portillo's just opened in Northwest Indiana and I'm dying to go there. Any suggestions!!!!! haha

Thanks Again,
|
Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter