just back...posting about the airplane travel with ECV

OJoyfulOne

I LOVE the Dwarfs and hope to see them again when
Hi everyone,

I just got back and I'm posting as I said I would about flying and transportation of my ECV.

It went fine. Everyone was so nice. They helped me and my sister on with a very small wheelchair that fits in the aisle. Then they take your ECV and bring it to the storage area in the belly of the plane. They seemed to be very nice about being careful with the ECV and seemed concerned about taking care of the ECV.

Joy

Me too.. I still don't know if I could do this - too much other medical equipment powered by electricity and I don't know if I could sit up in a small transport chair- I have alot of "stuff" to keep me in position. I'm just glad you didn't have any problems and esp. that you were treated with respect! kathy

I was wondering if the ecv at to be disassembled in order for it to be stored?

We just recently flew to Orlando with THREE ECVs in a very small commuter plane (35 passenger). None of the ECVs had to be taken apart. They just folded down the tiller, put them in freewheel, and folded down the seat backs on each of them, and they all fit through the cargo door.

Hubby and our friends drove their ECVs right to the gate, then were directed down an elevator and through a special door on the ground level and drove the ECVs right to the loading mechanism near the cargo door. They were each able to board the plane on their own, but there was personnel ready with a lift if they needed it.

When we arrived at MCO, we waited until last to get off the plane, and all three ECVs were off the plane and ready for us. Hubby and our friends got on their ECVs and rode them all the way to baggage claim and to our waiting towncar van.

Carol

Hi everyone,

I have been so busy since getting back. But to answer all of your questions....

tmli: As clkelly answered before I could reply, sorry about that, no both my sister's and my ECV's did not have to be disassembled. We use Amigo brand ECV's and are smaller than some brands. The Amigo's were then stored in the belly of the plane with the lugage.

JinniLynn33: We flew with United Airways. They were very helpful and accomadating.

dclfun: Both my sister and I cannot walk and don't have much control of our body. This wheelchair is very small and you are strapped in very well. Vlecro around your feet, another strap around your lap, and a harness-like belt that goes around you to keep you from moving. The men are very good about watching and are willing to do anything you ask. I didn't move at all once strapped in.

If anyone has anymore questions just let me know.

Joy

Here's a page I found that shows an aisle chair in use.
I know that at one time, Christoper Reeve was the spokesperson for a particular brand of aisle chairs. I remember seeing an ad for it in a magazine once. So, even a quad over 6 feet tall was able to be transferred to the plane using one.
We've been offered one for my DD on a lot of trips, but she has refused to try it. It would make it a lot easier to get her on though.

Thanks for the photo- I still remain concerned about my vent. I can easily disconnect the feeding pump but they'd either have to remove the vent from behind my chair ( not an easy task and the battery is attached to my chair/cannot be removed) or I have to bring a spare one. I will need to purchase a spare battery. The internal battery only lasts about 30-40 min. Has anyone ever travelled as an adult on a vent? Kathy

I don't recall seeing anyone else on the boards that has traveled with a vent, so I think you might be alone here. If I was in your situation, I am not sure I would feel comfortable doing it no matter how much planning I had done. I do know that Christopher Reeve traveled by air frequently, but he owned his own aisle cahir, so I don't know if it had any special adaptations for his needs.

Here' s a few pieces of info I found:
Post polio website They don't have a forum, but the writer has her emial address posted.
and a forum with recent questions about travel with a vent. Only one response, though, but an email address in included there too.

Thanks Sue- I appreciate the links. Christopher Reeve had alot more resources and an entire entourage of people to help him so it would be hard to compare what my experience would be like to his. Sigh..... Kathy

Originally posted by dclfun
Thanks Sue- I appreciate the links. Christopher Reeve had alot more resources and an entire entourage of people to help him so it would be hard to compare what my experience would be like to his. Sigh..... Kathy
Glad to help.
Yeah, I don't know how many people Christopher Reeve traveled with, just that when he came to Minnesota soon after his injury to do a speech, there were a lot of quads at the hospital where I work who wanted to go see him. He was an inspiration, but in some ways, he also gave false hope because people without his resources could not have done many of the things he was able to do.
Still, even with all the resources, it was pretty gutsy of him to do as mcuh air travel on a vent as he did.

Originally posted by ShaneV
How much extra did it cost to bring the ECV on the plane?
They are not allowed to charge you extra for transporting a mobility device (wheelchair or ecv). It also does not count toward your baggage allowance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter