Just back! Some random thoughts...

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Just back from a quick 4 day trip visiting DHS and Epcot. Some random thoughts from our experience:
  • This was a last minute trip, but I was pleasantly surprised at FP+ availability. It helped that we were only two people, but I was able to book FPs about a week in advance for everything we wanted, except for Slinky Dog.
  • Crowds in the parks were manageable, IMO. We arrived at Epcot on Weds 10/30 around 10am. We had FP+ for Test Track, and I was able to secure Soarin and Frozen Ever After FPs using the refresh strategy. We did every ride in the park over the course of the day, with time to enjoy Food & Wine as well.
  • We arrived at DHS around 10am on Friday 11/1. I had FP+ booked for RnRC and Star Tours, and was able to obtain FP+ using refresh for ToT, TSMM, and Alien Swirling Saucers. Never had a Slinky Dog FP+ pop up using refresh, and I tried for quite a while. We finally bit the bullet and waited in the 60 minute standby line. The wait was almost exactly 60 minutes. This is probably the longest we've ever waited for a ride, but I will say that the line moved continuously which helped the time go by faster.
  • This was our first time experiencing Galaxy's Edge. Waited in a 50 minute standby line for Smuggler's Run around 6pm. The actual wait was closer to 30-35 minutes, so it moved quickly. Good ride, but doesn't compare to Flight of Passage in our opinion. Walking around GE was surprisingly not very crowded, and we loved the interactions with the Storm Troopers who were regularly walking around it seemed.
  • I booked an ADR for Oga's Cantina at 9:40am about a week before we arrived, but was able to switch it to 7:30pm the night before. There were a few times available the day before, so definitely keep checking if you're not able to book in advance or are not satisfied with your time. The menu here is very limited so I'd imagine morning times are not optimal as we would not have gotten an alcoholic drink in the morning. Also, you are taken to a standing room only spot at the bar unless you have a larger party, so keep that in mind if you bring kids in. Its a cool place, but they're inclined to get bored after 10 minutes.
  • Same day ADRs were a little harder to come by than I was expecting, so we were disappointed with that. Didn't try any walk-ups at Epcot, but we tried 50s PT and Sci Fi at DHS. Neither were taking walk-ups for dinner, and Sci Fi quoted a "40-90 minute wait, if we have a table" at lunch. Whatever that means. So we stuck with QS for lunch, and bused from DHS to Disney Springs for a late dinner at Planet Hollywood on Friday. Food there was good, seating was crowded.
  • Weather was hot! 90s and humid except for Friday which was lower 80s. We saw a lot of people not dressed for the weather - check the forecast the day before you go and plan accordingly.
  • We stayed at AOA for the first time in a Little Mermaid room. Thoughts on that here: Just back! Thoughts on first time at AOA and Little Mermaid room
  • We used the Skyliner for the first time and LOVED IT. Now we can't imagine staying at a resort that doesn't offer it. So fast and convenient - truly a game changer for us.
  • We attended Halloween Horror Nights at Universal on Halloween. Brief thoughts on that here: HHN on Halloween - some quick thoughts, and a question!
Overall, it was a great quick trip! Pleasantly surprised with the manageable crowd levels and availability of FP+. Feel free to ask any questions!

Sounds like a great trip! I am being forced (due to resort availability) to stay at Pop in 179 days (just made my dining reservations yesterday, woo!) and I am glad that the skyliner was great for you!

Sounds like a great trip! I am being forced (due to resort availability) to stay at Pop in 179 days (just made my dining reservations yesterday, woo!) and I am glad that the skyliner was great for you!
Prior to last week, we would only stay moderate or rent points for DVC. Since our trip last week was last minute and on a tighter budget, we opted to stay at AOA. Aside from the Skyliner, we were very pleasantly surprised with the resort and the room. The Skyliner was just icing on the cake. Now, we would have no qualms about staying at Pop or AOA again just to use the Skyliner on future trips. Probably wouldn't stay anywhere else other than a Skyliner resort now. Have a great trip!

Sounds like a great trip.
When we were there 2 weeks ago, it was also hotter than usual, not as crowded as usual.
SWGE was amazing, loved the Storm Troopers walking around.
Smugglers Run had an amazing queue and the ride was fun. Much better than Star Tours, but not as good as FoP. Would do again.
Maybe our next trip, we'll try the Skyliner. Wanted to take it this trip, but has no reason to.

• I booked an ADR for Oga's Cantina at 9:40am about a week before we arrived, but was able to switch it to 7:30pm the night before. There were a few times available the day before, so definitely keep checking if you're not able to book in advance or are not satisfied with your time. The menu here is very limited so I'd imagine morning times are not optimal as we would not have gotten an alcoholic drink in the morning. Also, you are taken to a standing room only spot at the bar unless you have a larger party, so keep that in mind if you bring kids in. Its a cool place, but they're inclined to get bored after 10 minutes.

I am reading this as you personally wouldn't have ordered an alcoholic drink in the morning. Not that they don't serve in the morning. Am I interpreting that right?

I ask because we have a morning ADR the week of Thanksgiving. I don't have high hopes that we will find an evening ADR that would work with our schedule. I would order one drink in the morning, but if they aren't serving any of their alcoholic drinks I wouldn't bother going.

I am reading this as you personally wouldn't have ordered an alcoholic drink in the morning. Not that they don't serve in the morning. Am I interpreting that right?

I ask because we have a morning ADR the week of Thanksgiving. I don't have high hopes that we will find an evening ADR that would work with our schedule. I would order one drink in the morning, but if they aren't serving any of their alcoholic drinks I wouldn't bother going.
So the menu lists only two alcoholic drinks in the morning - their version of a bloody mary, and a coffee drink with rum. However, the drinks we had at night were all poured from taps, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to serve these as well? I'm wondering if the menu items are just breakfast-specific drinks, but you could really get any drink they have. Its all pre-made and they do not have a full bar, so everything should be readily available to the bartenders.

They do have a few non-alcoholic drinks and two food items available in the morning as well. Personally, I would just stop in for a drink and eat breakfast elsewhere. The food offerings are snack items at best and you'll have to stand while you eat.

Sounds like a great trip.
When we were there 2 weeks ago, it was also hotter than usual, not as crowded as usual.
SWGE was amazing, loved the Storm Troopers walking around.
Smugglers Run had an amazing queue and the ride was fun. Much better than Star Tours, but not as good as FoP. Would do again.
Maybe our next trip, we'll try the Skyliner. Wanted to take it this trip, but has no reason to.

What week were you there that it wasn’t bad? I hear all of October is crowded now.

We were there the third week.
We did the MK on that Sunday. It closed early for the party, but we were ablel to do 18 FPs that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter