Just back. Some tips on navigating the chair situation.

Mommy2Logan

Mouseketeer
Just got back from Aulani. We really liked it and will likely be back, but the first few hours were so overwhelming and loud that we almost left. We actually spoke with guest services and they were going to release us and give us a refund but we were so tired we decided to stay the night and decide in the morning what to do. Ultimately we ended up staying the full 4 nights we had booked there and ended up liking it once we figured out how to navigate the crowds and find some quieter little pockets to hang out in.

The check in process was very loud and chaotic and contributed to our initial impression. It was the not the peaceful island vibe I had imagined, but felt more like a firedrill or Armageddon. I was rattled from that and then we went out to the pool which is a madhouse. Someone bumped into my son and knocked him over which resulted in a bumped head, tears, and an ice pack. It was overwhelming. There were no pool chairs whatsoever. If you can check in in the morning or later at night, that is when the lobby is less crowded. We arrived mid-day and it was crazy so if you come at that time, be prepared mentally for it to be loud and busy. We did the online pre-checkin and it was still a disaster. It was so loud that the woman checking us in kept checking us in under different people's last names because she couldn't hear us even with full shouting voice spelling our names. We ended up having to write our last name which is a super common simple spelling name but couldn't be made out through the shouting. Our son was overwhelmed by the chaos and freaking out and truthfully so was I.

That being said, this is a very nice resort but you need to come with a strategy. It will make it so much more enjoyable.

THE POOL CHAIR SITUATION: The rumors are true. You need a game plan to get chairs.
Every morning around 7-7:15 people start coming down to the pool to claim the highly coveted rows of chairs. Generally these are the first two rows of chairs near the zero-entry big pool just across from the zero-entry point. Also, the chairs with umbrellas that face out to the ocean near the adult only pool. The row behind them that don't have umbrellas go next. Also to go first are the chairs in front of the splashpad. Generally people have one or several people in their group go sit on the chairs they want around 7-7:15. By 7:20 the chairs in the above mentioned spots are gone. By 7:40 almost all of the chairs that have umbrellas are gone except over in front of Ama Ama near the wedding chapel (this turned out to be our favorite spot but the deck does get very hot on your feet so you have to wear your shoes to the pool as its a bit of a walk). We don't let our son go to the pool unattended so we didn't feel we needed to have a line of sight to the pool, so that area worked well for us though our preferred spot were the chairs facing the beach near the adult only pool but we only secured those one morning.

The line for the towels is forming around 7:45. Typically one family member keeps the chairs while another gets towels. We tried having just one member handle both tasks and that didn't work out; someone stole the chairs and our sunscreen and magazines. The more stuff you have at your chairs, the less likely it is to get moved or stolen. Nobody moved our stuff when we had bags and bags of stuff and clothes and food items out, but leaving just sunscreen and magazines wasn't enough.

You can probably find chairs without umbrellas mid-morning and mid-afternoon through evening but you will wish you had an umbrella.

The pool area is VERY loud, crowded, and not particularly relaxing. If you want to be close to the pool to see your kids swimming, bring and Ipod and headphones to listen to some music and tune it out. If you don't need to see your kids swimming because they are old enough to swim unattended or too young and you plan to be with them at the pool, I would get a chair further away from the chaos over on the deck in front of Ama Ama with the beautiful views of the ocean where it is much quieter and serene.

If you want to paddle board, go early in the morning before the waitlist has started. Also, less windy. If the beach feels loud and crowded, step over to the Four Seasons beach. They do have ropes up to distinguish between the beaches, but both beaches are public and you can build your sand castle at the Four Seasons where it is much more chill.

Other general comments:
The spa is amazing, worth the expense.

Ama Ama was the best food onsite. Other food was generally pretty bad. We liked the Mina's Fish House and Noe at the Four Seasons for splurge meals. Food at the luau was bad, but the entertainment was good. I've heard good things about the Paradise Cove luau nearby.

Line up for character meet and greets about 15 minutes before they arrive.

The lobby is best enjoyed in the morning.

You can follow the walking trail in front of the Four Seasons to walk over to some beautiful beaches. You have to walk over large slippery rocks in some places, but our four year was able to navigate it in crocs with the help of Dad and its worth the trek.

Longboard's at the Marriott nearby has very good frozen Mai Tais. Worth the walk, and its a pretty paved path with nice views of the lagoons.

Pack water shoes for the kiddos. The pool walking area is very slick and dangerous.

Overall a really beautiful resort that felt the most Hawaiian of the resorts at Ko O'lina. Nice Hawaiian music is piped in along the paths and the landscaping is so lush and tropical. Once you adjust to the initial shock of the crowds and noise level, it is quite nice. Bring lots of money for food. LOTS. We didn't eat any meals in the room and we spent $500 a day on food and drinks for two adults and one child. Breakfast at Ama Ama was $100 for the 3 of us. We'd probably do breakfast in the rooms next time but we sure did love those peaceful morning meals looking out at the ocean! :) We generally spent about $150 on lunch (kids hotdog, pork tacos, coconut shrimp, pineapple juices for our son, and 4 mai tais). We generally spent about $250 on dinner at neighboring restaurants (Mina's Fish House, Noe, Roys). If you eat at Monkeypod for happy hour you can eat for $80-100 as a family.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report! That is a lot of $$$ for food. I am trying to prepare so we will not get sticker shock for our family of 5.

It can definitely be done for less, but we wanted to eat some nice meals. We stayed at Marriott Beach Club for four nights as well and we ate on the patio of our room every morning and shared an order of pancakes, side of sausage, and a half an avocado and a side of egg for $50, so about half the cost of eating at Ama Ama where we got individual meals. We could have shared at Ama Ama and saved a lot too but it was the beginning of our trip and we were all wanting to try everything and ordered more than we really needed. I think next trip we plan to eat in the room some and make our own Mai Tais. In general we felt that the $250 dinners were worth the splurge but felt we could have saved quite a bit on the breakfasts and lunches.

You can follow the walking trail in front of the Four Seasons to walk over to some beautiful beaches. You have to walk over large slippery rocks in some places, but our four year was able to navigate it in crocs with the help of Dad and its worth the trek.

Alternatively, you can walk the sidewalk at the front of the resort, cut through the parking lot of Paradise Cove, and there is a man-made dirt path back to the same beach. Sounds safer but not sure if its any faster. This is where the monk seals and sea turtles are most often spotted.

Good advice. There are a couple of really gorgeous beaches though along the way before paradise cove that are stunning, and worth the hike, but if you have babies or are schlepping a lot of stuff, the path sounds like a great way to go.

May I ask when did you visit the resort? What month and what days of the week were you there (e.g., Monday, Friday). Thanks! We're DVC members and have visited in May and June and this will be our first stay in early July so I'm a bit worried as to what to expect.

We've gone for extended stayed in Sept and April and haven't had any experiences nearly as bad as ops... were you there during a holiday or event?

Friday to Sunday’s the resort is always busy - lots of Hawaiians come for a “staycation” - I would always recommend arriving on a Monday and check out on a Friday that way you miss a lot of the busyness. Even the privately owned Beach Villas next door become busier and noisier over weekends - and they are a very tightly run resort that has a laundry list of rules.

We also stayed at the Marriott Beach Club on this trip, the following weekend for 4 nights and it was not nearly as busy as Aulani. Totally different situation over there with the chairs. They didn't fill up until 8:30-9 and only the ones w umbrellas. THe chairs without umbrellas didn't fill up until 11 or so. MUch quieter than Aulani. Don't get me wrong...I loved aulani, but it was a madhouse and definitely much more strategy required to find some peace (and a chair) there.

oh, also the weekend we stayed at the MBC, we got the last room available. They were completely full for the big golf tournament starting this week. But despite that, it never felt crowded or crazy. We were supposed to be on Kauai but had a change of plans and booked a room last minute and it was literally their only room.

Beach Club is just as good as Aulani IMO - since our kids refuse to do Aunty’s house there is only the lazy river plus extra slide that “beats” the Marriott IMO.

The privately owned villas at Beach Villas in between them both is also very nice but they have a long list of rules to follow since they have a large % of owner occupiers.

This is the first April in 7 years we haven’t stayed at Ko Olina and yep it is a busy time with US Spring Breaks, Australian school holidays, the Hapalua 1/2 Marathon and the Lotte Championship all bringing in lots of tourists.

We have seen days in August that are as busy as @Mommy2Logan describes above. There was one afternoon we came back early in the afternoon from a beach day trip to use the pools and it was wall to wall people on the paths around the pools.
The saving grace for me is that the lazy river pool seems to be able to take it. Even on a crazy busy day it never seems overcrowded to me. The main pool is ok too but the Ka Maka grotto pool (infinity edge one) on the other hand is nuts on a crowded day.

We also stayed at the Marriott Beach Club on this trip, the following weekend for 4 nights and it was not nearly as busy as Aulani. Totally different situation over there with the chairs. They didn't fill up until 8:30-9 and only the ones w umbrellas. THe chairs without umbrellas didn't fill up until 11 or so. MUch quieter than Aulani. Don't get me wrong...I loved aulani, but it was a madhouse and definitely much more strategy required to find some peace (and a chair) there.
We've stayed a both as well. About the same time of year (spring break) and I agree. The pool chair situation was so stressful, we booked a cabana on our second trip.

I’m blown away by the experience described by the OP. We stayed May last year and it wasn’t busy at all. There were never any issues with getting chairs at any time of the day, not even in the ‘preferred’ spots described. However we were mon-fri so perhaps that’s the difference. I’ll make sure we do the same again next trip I guess!

Too bad about the crowds! Doesn’t sound very relaxing for a Hawaiian vacation. You kind of expect that at WDW...BUT sad it’s at Aulani too‍♀️...Oh well..we’re still going and hoping for the best!

Wow, OP, makes me glad we can stay at WDW and enjoy a much less stressful, peaceful, relaxing vacation with lots less $$$'s. Doesn't sound like Aulani is all it's cut out to be in comparison!! Not to mention the long flight to/from would just do me in.
IDK i’ve Been in line at some of the WDW resorts (not just the values) and the lobby areas have been chaotic.

All depends on when, closer to actual checkin & checkout times it’s nearly always rather busy @WDW 3

I did precheck in and hope the DVC line will be less crowded. Not arriving now until probably closer to 5 pm. Figure we will get ‘the worst’ view room in our category by that time.

We were there last week, returned a few days ago.
Any resort during Easter break, one of the busiest time of the year traveling with all the schools on vacation is going to be difficult to get chairs. We traveled to Aulani, end of May 5 years ago. It was not extremely difficult to get chairs, but we were 4 adults and hung most of the days by the quiet pool. My issue was because it is a public beach, it appeared occasionally that a local families were using the beach chairs, which should not be permitted. That precludes paying guests from using those chairs.:( I understand that because it is a public beach, the beach can be used by anyone, but the beach lounges should be monitored by beach staff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter