Just bought into Rivera DVC, thinking of cancelling and buying non-direct.

Thanks for the points info. I think the new points will help us. We were initially thinking of mainly doing fall, week of thanksgiving, but our kids actually get out of school mid-may so looking now at end of may or early June.
So based on when you want to travel, an April use year would be ideal. You would get your points in time for May, but if you do decide to travel in November occasionally your banking deadline would be November 30 in case something came up and you had to cancel. April is a tad more rare I’ve come to learn so you may have better luck finding February or March. Definitely not a June use year. If you switch your thinking back to November trips, you definitely don’t want a December use year.

When looking for a contract any of the sites listed on this thread are good sites. I didn’t focus on a particular site but instead went through each of them regularly until I found a contract I liked.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/best-and-safest-dvc-resale-sites.3636385/

I'm bias, but imo, the resort with the best options for transportation is hands down Polynesian.

We rarely use the Resort Monorail. I seem to be one of the few who have no love for the Resort Monorail. Typically walk to TTC and catch the ferry or use the smaller boat over the MK. TTC to Epcot via Monorail (and can now walk through to hop on Skyliner to HS). Bus to HS or AK.

Our trip in August, we did a split stay AKL and Poly and did our days at AK while at AKL, then moved over to Poly and did the rest of the parks. Also, if in a pinch, Lyft is alway VERY convenient.

The one downside to Poly is no kitchen or W/D in room unless you go Bungalow, which is a stupid expensive option. I don't go on vacation to cook, and laundry in Moorea is pretty convenient. We are a family of 4 with kids 7&9. we love the studio. Our first stay at WDW ever was at OKW in a 1 br and I don't miss it at all. Last trip, we had my mother with us and even with 5, it was fine.

Again, bias, but if Poly had the options of 1BR available through DVC, it would be insanely expensive and competitive simply due to location and ease of transportation.

Frankly, if I was in your shoes, I'd likely stick with Riviera. I'm partial to the ease and convenience of direct, and don't have to worry about the games (can't use points everywhere, etc...)

The only reason I will consider re-sale is if I am just trying to accumulate points to do something like the Bungalows. Direct Owner at Poly and Aulani

Last edited:

The one downside to Poly is no kitchen or W/D in room unless you go Bungalow, which is a stupid expensive option. I don't go on vacation to cook, and laundry in Moorea is pretty convenient. We are a family of 4 with kids 7&9. we love the studio. Our first stay at WDW ever was at OKW in a 1 br and I don't miss it at all. Last trip, we had my mother with us and even with 5, it was fine.

If me the other downsides to POLY are paying for a lake view and getting a ground floor with a view of the bungalows and having to walk outside in the rain to get to the main building.

Love the lake view from the 3rd floor and being next to the TTC.

If me the other downsides to POLY are paying for a lake view and getting a ground floor with a view of the bungalows and having to walk outside in the rain to get to the main building.

Love the lake view from the 3rd floor and being next to the TTC.

Yep, I'm still hoping they start to adjust some of the "views" as they continue to adjust points charts. Makes sense to me that they would have a Standard view (parking lot), Garden View, Pool View, and then somehow delineate between true Fireworks view and Lake/Bungalow View.

Luckily, both times we've done Lake View, we got 2nd floor...so we could see just over the tops of the empty Bungalows. I'm quite interested to see if they ever adjust the points on Bungalows as I feel they are about 200-250 points/week too high across the board.

OP - I have kids with about the same age difference (but older - 4 and 8), and no plans for a 3rd. Speaking from experience, having a kitchen and a laundry is invaluable. We own at BLT and VGF. While the BLT studios are small (I have stayed in them just as a couple), the 1BR are lovely. The extra full bath is great, and we've always gotten lucky using points for a standard view and being able to see the castle and fireworks. It's great for young kids because the walkway is easy and the separate security is terrific too. I do like the pools better at VGF and the studios are, for sure, a better setup for a family, but it is a very point hungry resort. Before writing off BLT completely, figure out how much it would cost to stay in 1BR there. 150-160 resale there could get you into a 1br every 18 mo or so (or be good for a split stay if you got 100 points at RIV)

Before writing off BLT completely, figure out how much it would cost to stay in 1BR there. 150-160 resale there could get you into a 1br every 18 mo or so (or be good for a split stay if you got 100 points at RIV)

::yes:: If the OP is looking for value BLT is quite high for the larger villas. Better than VGF because point requirements are not as high and the resale prices are not quite as high either. I also like the layout better with 2 full baths in the 1BR's vs the split bath at VGF.

Definitely sounds like you need to back out now and rethink your purchase. Riviera will still be there in a month or 6 months.

I'm bias, but imo, the resort with the best options for transportation is hands down Polynesian.

We rarely use the Resort Monorail. I seem to be one of the few who have no love for the Resort Monorail. Typically walk to TTC and catch the ferry or use the smaller boat over the MK. TTC to Epcot via Monorail (and can now walk through to hop on Skyliner to HS). Bus to HS or AK.

Our trip in August, we did a split stay AKL and Poly and did our days at AK while at AKL, then moved over to Poly and did the rest of the parks. Also, if in a pinch, Lyft is alway VERY convenient.

Again, bias, but if Poly had the options of 1BR available through DVC, it would be insanely expensive and competitive simply due to location and ease of transportation.

Frankly, if I was in your shoes, I'd likely stick with Riviera. I'm partial to the ease and convenience of direct, and don't have to worry about the games (can't use points everywhere, etc...)

The only reason I will consider re-sale is if I am just trying to accumulate points to do something like the Bungalows. Direct Owner at Poly and Aulani

The studio only thing kills the Poly for me as does staying in longhouses disconnected from main building and quite some distance away. Not good if it is raining.

To me the transport options from the GF are just as good, its an easy walk from GF to Poly to TTC. Unless it is raining then the monorail is good.

I think resale is a great option and there are many awesome resorts

I'd agree with others about blt. I'm not sure about poly being best location; it's better than vgf maybe. Fastest walk to any Park is from blt to MK. One stop on monorail to get to ttc from blt walking indoors. MK to me is the park I will visit the most so I value that a decent amount. You are bussing to DHS and AK from any of those resorts so hard to say one is better than the other for those parks.

Poly walk to ttc is great but main house is so far from moorea, outside and uncovered. Boat in the resort is even further than main house plus on way back from MK goes to gf first. Add in only studios or bungalows and to me, it's a decent spot to stay but I'd never buy there. Pool is nice at poly but jam packed most of the time and far from the dvc buildings (I mean the main pool where kids will want to go).

Best pool situation for me is vgf, also good for MK and walkway apparently coming. Can't go wrong with any of them, value and room wise, BLT to me is the best. Good luck!

What is easiest resort for transportation to all of Disney properties ?

Easiest for all? None. There is no one resort with easy access to all parks.

It’s why I tend to drive. That levels the playing field. I mean, unless I am at bay lake and want to go to MK; driving would be silly then, but otherwise...

We like to go to Disney every couple of years, BUT we live close to Galveston so the Disney cruise out of there is very convenient ( no airfare ). We like to cruise but maybe every 4 years or so.

You won’t be able to cruise on points if you buy resale...

Was not told of the restrictions on the buyers if I sell the timeshare the new buyer cannot use points for original 14.

Why does that bother you now? Buy something that works for you while you use it. Enjoy it. Get your money’s worth. Worry about selling later on, IMO.

we like to travel during Thanksgiving week since our school aged child gets that week off from school ( Fall break )

Your child is 5? That fall break thing is going to change. Do not make plans based on kindergarten schedules.

My neighboring district changed schedules a few years back entirely. Don’t rely on what it is now.

The boats really are the nicest way to get around and are calming too. My sons give me a hard time about taking the boats (takes too long in their opinion) but my daughter-in-law loves the boat so my oldest has to be careful where he treads on the boat issue. :)

Sounds like a perfect time for the ladies to take the boat while the guys take their choice, and see who “wins”.

can I rent points if for a special occasion stay wanted to upgrade to one or two bedroom suite

Yes you can rent a reservation through another owner, you can pay cash to Disney, you can get a transfer from another owner...

But I worry that you’re calling them suites. A hotel suite is often a very different thing that’s a timeshare villa. Please be sure to read all the information posts we have here before picking up the idea of buying again.

I like Grand Floridian because the 2 bedroom villas are not that much more expensive than the 1 bedroom ones, downside is Poly is better for kids.

Poly is better for kids? How?

One other thing is we have 2 kids but trying for a 3rd next years so would need sleeping for 5, but CCV one bedroom says 4 is limit.

Do NOT get used to the smaller units if you want to expand your family.

Even with my one kid (wanted 3 and the universe said “nope”) I don’t want to stay in a studio, and we had a family bed for ages! I want that room. Now he’s 15 and tall and he takes up room lol.

He’s never even stayed at our home resort (bay lake) because we can get so much more space and longer stays if we stay at OKW. I stay there on solo trips, but the family trips haven’t involved the hone resort.

Think of the future. Think of why you want dvc. Don’t get hooked into the idea that MK is the best park for kids (my son has never thought so!), a resort near Dave park is the best (not if you don’t love that resort, and not if the fave park changes), or a certain time of year. Big picture for where and when, and drill down to the core reasons of why you want to buy.

The studio only thing kills the Poly for me as does staying in longhouses disconnected from main building and quite some distance away. Not good if it is raining.

To me the transport options from the GF are just as good, its an easy walk from GF to Poly to TTC. Unless it is raining then the monorail is good.

I think resale is a great option and there are many awesome resorts
And soon VGF will have a walkway to MK!

I'd agree with others about blt. I'm not sure about poly being best location; it's better than vgf maybe. Fastest walk to any Park is from blt to MK. One stop on monorail to get to ttc from blt walking indoors. MK to me is the park I will visit the most so I value that a decent amount. You are bussing to DHS and AK from any of those resorts so hard to say one is better than the other for those parks.

Poly walk to ttc is great but main house is so far from moorea, outside and uncovered. Boat in the resort is even further than main house plus on way back from MK goes to gf first. Add in only studios or bungalows and to me, it's a decent spot to stay but I'd never buy there. Pool is nice at poly but jam packed most of the time and far from the dvc buildings (I mean the main pool where kids will want to go).

Best pool situation for me is vgf, also good for MK and walkway apparently coming. Can't go wrong with any of them, value and room wise, BLT to me is the best. Good luck!

I think it's BCV to Epcot.

My suggestion is to narrow down your choices and do a split stay to see what u like. (Rental Thru sponser)

One thing that has not been mentioned is that RIGHT NOW is a great time to buy resale. The ROFR's have slowed to a trickle, meaning you can make an offer below asking and there is a good chance it will pass ROFR. That was certainly not the case this time last year when Disney knew the resale restrictions were going to be implemented.

One piece of advice on resale we stumbled onto; do your research on-line, but then CALL to put in the offer. Reason being, the reseller you are buying through knows a bit about the seller and can help you avoid pitfalls like a contentious divorce or a seller who is slow to respond. Could be they even have info about who is more motivated and would be more likely to accept a reduced offer or maybe pay dues on points.

One piece of advice on resale we stumbled onto; do your research on-line, but then CALL to put in the offer. Reason being, the reseller you are buying through knows a bit about the seller and can help you avoid pitfalls like a contentious divorce or a seller who is slow to respond. Could be they even have info about who is more motivated and would be more likely to accept a reduced offer or maybe pay dues on points.

That’s advice I actually haven’t heard before. I think if a reseller mentioned a contentious divorce then I would definitely avoid doing business with them. I would hate to think they would be happy to tell complete strangers about my personal situation. :-)

That’s advice I actually haven’t heard before. I think if a reseller mentioned a contentious divorce then I would definitely avoid doing business with them. I would hate to think they would be happy to tell complete strangers about my personal situation. :-)
Who said anything abut releasing personal info? To the buyer one contract looks just like another. They can steer you toward putting a bid in on a different contract if they think that will be a smoother transaction. The on-line form can't do that. After all, we've all seen contracts that are listed below the others but still don't immediately sell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter