Just cancelled our air-fare... and boy am I bummed out...

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
On Friday, I cancelled our Trip to Japan with our air-fare... and I am really disappointed that we are not going to be able go... It totally sucks...

I get it about the virus, and not spreading it... and totally understand... still it sucks...

I will say Delta took very good care of us... I got a full refund on a travel voucher, and all of our skymiles back... Which I did not think that we would be able to get our skymiles back.... so YAY

At first we talked about just putting the trip off for a year, then the more this thing goes on... I really feel like we will not be traveling international next year either... and I did not want a credit of this much money just sitting around out there...

So bummed out... so now we might not ever make it to Japan... as things look right now... This just SUCKS!!!

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hate this uncertainty. When Delta first provided their voucher through Sep 2022 for our June trip, I was confident that we'd be able to take it, if not in the summer of 2021, at least by Dec. '21. I was more concerned that with that being DD's senior year, a trip with Mom might not end up being her top priority, and I wasn't sure how we'd work the trip in around her activities PLUS college preparations plus possibly her having a job or other obligations plus whatever "senior" friends things might come up.

Now I'm not optimistic about 2021 at all, even to think of going to Europe or some other destination than Japan.
Hopefully she'll think a trip with Mom still is cool after HS graduation if it comes to that.
And hopefully 2022 is not too optimistic a hope.
I guess I can still "hope" for 2021. But this is getting depressing, though I am grateful that our family so far has been spared COVID-19 illness or worse. I think it'd be easier to just focus on that positive, except for that huge airline voucher that accounts by itself for more than we put into most of our rare vacations.

Just saw your post - I completely feel/understand your disappointment! We had a trip planned for the first week of October. Delta was great with how they handled the refund.

My husband and I have decided not to even consider booking for next year. We're planning a cross country RV trip instead. We'll think about Japan in maybe 2022 or later.

Sympathise with you. Did the same last March for our May trip. Am tentatively rescheduling for late Oct 2021. With fingers crossed.

OP here...

I really think that Japan is off the table for us... It looks like at least 3 to 4 years before that is going to even be a option for a American like me to be able to go...

3-4 years is a bit of an exaggeration. Japan is planning to issue new guidelines for tourists in April so theoretically, tourists would be able to visit by summer. Of course, if you'd have to get a negative test result before leaving and spend a day at the airport in Japan as they test you again, it can be very costly. The parks may also have restrictions making it less than ideal for a once in many years type of trip.

and spend a day at the airport in Japan as they test you again,
I think I could burn a day in Haneda's or Narita's airports. ::yes:: My husband and I have done it more than once in HK. (On purpose. We're dorks.) Others may not find it as fun as we do.

I also agree with you that several years is unlikely. If I were Japan and trying to preserve the Olympics, I wouldn't do things much differently. I don't like it, as I had a Hokkaido trip planned this winter, but I get it.

I hope you still get to go in the near future! I lived outside of Tokyo when I was in elementary school and I have always wanted to return. Nothing like a view of Mt. Fuji looking out your balcony.

I think I could burn a day in Haneda's or Narita's airports. ::yes:: My husband and I have done it more than once in HK. (On purpose. We're dorks.) Others may not find it as fun as we do.

I also agree with you that several years is unlikely. If I were Japan and trying to preserve the Olympics, I wouldn't do things much differently. I don't like it, as I had a Hokkaido trip planned this winter, but I get it.

By spend a day at the airport, it'll mean sitting by yourself in a socially distanced holding room for several hours waiting for test results, not shopping and eating at a restaurant. The only airport I'd intentionally spend extra time at would be Nagoya to take pictures of planes on the sky deck and visit the Boeing museum. I occasionally book longer layovers in Incheon and Taipei to make time for activities like arts & crafts, massages, etc.

Never been to Incheon, and unfortunately, with Taipei, our schedule isn't usually our own, so while TPE seems lovely, we've always had to rush out to whatever is already planned.

I did know what you meant and was just joking around, mostly poking fun at how much enjoyment we get out of any change of scenery. Mostly everything in the international areas are shut down, from what I understand (one relative who still gets to/has to fly).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!