Just "Ducky" - Floating Around

Our Property | Caryville, FL - July 3-5, 2021

Well we drug Ducky and a generator over to our property for the 4th weekend. I also took my dad as he enjoys going over there as well. We setup on our usual spot on the back 40. I'm hoping to eventually get power put in on the property somewhere so we don't have to bring the generator.

Looks like my cousin has corn planted on the field this time.
In the evening, my dad took charge of building the fire and my did he build a good one.

On day 2, we went and visited with my Aunt & Uncle (Dad's sister) since they live not too far from there. I got to see my grandfather's old tractor that dad had told me about so many times.

Took the 4 wheeler over to the Choctawhatchee river and the DW waded in it for the first time. Had to get a little mud on the tires to get there.
The evening of the fourth we ended up having a mini family reuinion at our property with my aunt, uncle, and a couple of my second cousins coming over. We sat around the campfire and chatted for a while.

After that, I had bought some fireworks to shoot off for the 4th. Please forgive the video but DW had to hold the camera while I was Mr. Pyro for the evening. Don't know if anyone cares to watch, but here's the video.

We loaded up on Monday and headed back in the rain. On our way, someone had just flipped their vehicle and camper over on the side of the interstate. Everyone looked ok but the camper and the towing vehicle were toast. Looked like they were hauling a camper the size of ours with an SUV so I'm guessing weight distribution may have played a part.

Camper is still in the shop but we went down to Orlando this weekend and stayed at our timeshare off property. For a holiday weekend, it honestly wasn't too bad. Saturday night, we went to Whispering Canyon and the servers were back to their usual antics, felt like normal. They weren't doing the "We need ketchup" bit yet but laughter filled the air and it felt right.

I gave in and bought a one day park hopper to surprise the DW. I set my alarm for 6:55AM (which DW wondered what I did that for) so I could get a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance (we hadn't done it yet either.) I know on all the FB groups I'm in, people have a really hard time understanding the virtual queue thing for RotR but I thought it was a pretty straightforward process. We got boarding group 58.

We started off Sunday at HS, arriving around 8:45A. No lines at the parking entrance like we've seen in earlier months. Did preferred parking and my feet really appreciated it.

Got in line immediately for Runaway Railway. They were advising everyone that got in line that it was broken down but that you could still get in line if you wished, so we did since we'd never ridden it yet. The app said 70 minute wait but we maybe waited 20 minutes. Of note, all the social distancing markers are gone so the lines you see are the actual lines. Masks are required in the indoor portions of the ride queues and ride (if indoors). I'm probably biased because I HATE the new style of Mickey cartoons so I can't say I was a fan of the ride. I'll take the Great Move Ride back, thanks.

After that we headed over for me to do ToT. Posted wait was 60 minutes, again probably waited 15-20 minutes. All the pre-shows are back. DW took the non-fun elevator back down while I road. She said the CM was still in character and told them all "Don't be sad, you still can say you road the elevator."

From there over to Toy Story area. Lines for TSM and SDD were both over an hour but we opted for Slinky Dog over TSM. Posted wait was 70 minutes but ended up being almost 2 hours because it broke down while we were waiting. It eventually started working after several "reboots" and we got to ride. It felt faster than it was before to me but probably not. While we were waiting for Slinky, RotR broke down so I was worried we might not get to ride it but it started back up.

After leaving Slink Dog, we walked over to Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. We had not been to the Orlando version of it yet but had been to it in California. Both look pretty much exactly the same. We did mobile order for Ronto Roasters and got the Ronto Wraps. Thought they were tasty. We had to wait about 15 minutes from when we placed the order (12:30), so wasn't too long of a wait. While we finished eating, we got notice that our boarding group was called.

Walked over to RotR. Line to get your magic band scanned was a little long but moved quick. Overall we probably waited 15-20 minutes to actually get on the ride. This was our first time on RotR. I thought they did a really good job on the ride but the queue was lacking. I'm a little worried about them re-using this ride system over and over again (as it's the same ride system used on Runaway Railway and now Ratatouille.) Hopefully they don't get stuck using the same thing over and over again but as long as they make the environment around the ride system innovative and engaging, we should be ok.

I had hoped to park hop to AK but between the heat and my feet, it wasn't happening. We instead went back and took a little nap.

After our nap we headed over to MK to close out the night. While the park was busy, it wasn't as busy as pre-COVID holiday weekends for sure. We got our favorite spring rolls when we got in then headed over to Pirates. Posted wait was an hour but only waited about 15 minutes. From there went over to Jungle Cruise, posted at an hour and was an hour. We had a really good skipper though so it was worth the wait.

Got an orange swirl and lava float from Sunshine Tree. Rained a little bit off and on but not too much. After that we found a park bench at the end of main street near the train station and awaited the fireworks. Again, Main Street was not packed for a holiday weekend for sure as it would've been in pre-covid years. At the end of the fireworks, we walked out and got right on a ferry with no wait.

All in all was a good trip. Hated to pay for a one day ticket but that should soon be over since AP's are coming back tomorrow (although we are waiting till we're down there for the 50th so we don't have an issue with our park pass for the 50.)

Funny how Disney announces they will start charging for quicker access to rides with Lightning Lanes at $15 per person per day through the new Genie. And then above, Arc outlines how nearly every ride (that was operating normally) had high posted wait times that were strangely very much off (in the same direction):

Ride/Posted Wait/Actual Wait
=========================
Runaway Railway/70min/20min
Tower of Terror/60min/20min
Pirates/60min/15min
Jungle Cruise/60min/60min (somebody goofed up here)

I absolutely believe Disney is desperate enough for revenue to purposely overstate many ride wait times to cause guests to pay the $15 upcharge (and per ride fees on the E-Ticket attractions).

But, Arc, it sounded like you and DW and a great getaway!

Ed

Last edited:
Funny how Disney announces they will start charging for quicker access to rides with Lightning Lanes at $15 per person per day through the new Genie. And then above, Arc outlines how nearly every ride (that was operating normally) had high posted wait times that were strangely very much off (in the same direction):

Ride/Posted Wait/Actual Wait
=========================
Runaway Railway/70min/20min
Tower of Terror/60min/20min
Pirates/60min/15min
Jungle Cruise/60min/60min (somebody goofed up here)

I absolutely believe Disney is desperate enough for revenue to purposely overstate many ride wait times to cause guests to pay the $15 upcharge (and per ride fees on the E-Ticket attractions).

But, Arc, it sounded like you and DW and a great getaway!

Ed

I have a theory on this @bama_ed, it's because they're manually setting the wait times. Remember, in days past a CM would be standing at the queue entrance and when that "beep" went off would hand the next person in line a red tag. Then when that person reached the end of the queue another CM would scan that same tag and that's what calculated the wait time. Whoever is setting the wait times manually is underestimating how many people these attractions can move through in X amount of time. The long lines for Runaway, ToT, and Pirates "looked" scary long but the amount of people in the queue is nothing like when they would post an hour and it was extending far beyond the actual existing queue.

To expound on my experience. DW and I have never been line waiters. Our Disney trips over the years had mostly been as AP holders and we'd run down for a quick weekend so this whole waiting in line thing has been different. I personally thought I was going to hate it and that I wouldn't want to go back until some form of FastPass returned but this trip proved it's not as bad as I thought. I think Disney is going to be underwhelmed by the amount of people purchasing lightning lane at the current moment. Now, when we get a handle on COVID and people feel comfortable traveling again, my opinion may change when we see the parks get back to pre-COVID levels. For the time being, those that feel safe enough to go, it's a great time to be there. We've got friends that are there this week and said the crowds have been incredibly low. I remember sitting around at one of our meets talking about the "good 'ole days" when there was a "slow" time at Disney when school started back, well friends it's there right now. We'll probably see a ramp up when the 50th kicks off but for now, get yourself to Disney if you feel safe.

Last edited:

Good ideas here, Arc.

September is historically slow. Although schools start back in the south in mid-August, the north generally heads back around Labor Day weekend. That's why those two months have some of the lowest Fort rates of the year and in normal times Disney put out a rare 15-20% discount to the general public on those already low(er) rates. The heat and rain continue from summer so the locals aren't coming over too much on weekends yet.

So in a matter of weeks you're going to go from slow lazy early Sept to the crazy 50th celebration on 10/1. You're going to see the OTHER end of the spectrum I would think.

Ed

Gulf State Park | Gulf Shores, AL - October 29-31, 2021

Sorry for not doing this “live”, was just a quick weekend trip so was trying to enjoy it rather than my phone.

We headed out after the DW got home from work around 3. It takes us about an hour and a half to get over there. It always feels like an eternity of a drive. The day was dreary as far as the weather goes on the way over but was more sunny once we got there. We were in site 228, which I must say is going to be my new favorite. Super easy to back in to, great views, and right by a WiFi access point so the internet was actually useable (streamed a movie.)

We had some local friends of ours stay with us so we fired up the fire pit that evening. GSP does sell firewood ($7.50) a bundle but the sites don’t have fire rings. That price was comparable to other local stores

Got up Saturday morning to a beautiful day. @bama_ed, I surprised the DW and got her one of the puzzle keepers like yours. She and our friends worked on a puzzle while I relaxed in the hammock.

They have been busy at GSP doing maintenance. All the site numbers have been repainted and new road signage as well.

Went over to the outlets in Foley briefly and then finally got in to eat at DeSoto’s. Haven’t been able to get a table the last few trips we’ve made. DW and I both had the monte cristo.

After that, came back and fired up another fire to enjoy hotdogs and s’mores. It was a beautiful evening.

Took our time on Sunday morning and pulled out just about 11. Maybe I’ve missed it before but they have a mailbox for you to “check out” by dropping in your parking pass. I hadn’t noticed it before.

Like I said, short trip but just wanted to share a little.

Gulf State Park | Gulf Shores, AL - October 29-31, 2021

Sorry for not doing this “live”, was just a quick weekend trip so was trying to enjoy it rather than my phone.

We headed out after the DW got home from work around 3. It takes us about an hour and a half to get over there. It always feels like an eternity of a drive. The day was dreary as far as the weather goes on the way over but was more sunny once we got there. We were in site 228, which I must say is going to be my new favorite. Super easy to back in to, great views, and right by a WiFi access point so the internet was actually useable (streamed a movie.)

View attachment 618650

We had some local friends of ours stay with us so we fired up the fire pit that evening. GSP does sell firewood ($7.50) a bundle but the sites don’t have fire rings. That price was comparable to other local stores
View attachment 618651

Got up Saturday morning to a beautiful day. @bama_ed, I surprised the DW and got her one of the puzzle keepers like yours. She and our friends worked on a puzzle while I relaxed in the hammock.
View attachment 618654

They have been busy at GSP doing maintenance. All the site numbers have been repainted and new road signage as well.
View attachment 618655
View attachment 618657
View attachment 618658

Went over to the outlets in Foley briefly and then finally got in to eat at DeSoto’s. Haven’t been able to get a table the last few trips we’ve made. DW and I both had the monte cristo.
View attachment 618659

After that, came back and fired up another fire to enjoy hotdogs and s’mores. It was a beautiful evening.
View attachment 618661
View attachment 618662

Took our time on Sunday morning and pulled out just about 11. Maybe I’ve missed it before but they have a mailbox for you to “check out” by dropping in your parking pass. I hadn’t noticed it before.

Like I said, short trip but just wanted to share a little.
That monte cristo looks good!!

Glad you got into DeSoto's finally, Arc.

There was a mailbox drop for the car dashboard pass on the far side of the check-in building (on the left side as you drive out). But on this trip I noticed they had moved it to just BEFORE the check-in building (still on the left side as you drive out). The previous one was the same style.

Beautiful pictures. Good move on the puzzle carrier - I'm sure DW will get a lot of mileage out of it. @tiggerdad had one first and he put me onto it.

ED

Originally, we had the idea to be at GSP at the same time as @Bishoparc (overlapping on this past weekend) but it was not to be.

To get good lakefront sites at Gulf you need to book nearly a year in advance but between now and then, life can get in the way.

Great photos!

Ed

To get good lakefront sites at Gulf you need to book nearly a year in advance

I went ahead and booked a couple for next year if anyone is around:

Friday 8/12 – Sunday 8/14 site 228
Friday 10/28 – Sunday 10/30 site 226

Ooo. Ahhhh.

It's big and white... Very white. :rotfl2: My first big truck was white. I thought it would always look dirty, but seemed to always look clean. My black cars, on the other hand, ALWAYS look dirty.

Enjoy your new beast. You should be able to pull the whole neighborhood around now.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!