Just got back from 2 weeks doing Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo....any questions?

I just got back from a day at each of the Tokyo parks and a day at SDL (Shanghai DisneyLand). As long as you arrive at rope drop and go on a week-day without any holiday festivities, you should be able to do most things in each park in one day.

Take advantage of the Single Rider lines if they are open at SDL. They don't always keep them open at SDL as it seems the locals do not understand the concept of single rider lines and then the parents argue at the front of the line on how they want to ride with the kids. By taking advantage of fast pass a couple times and single rider lines, we rode Tron 8 times and every other "adult" ride at least once (trice on Pirates). We got on many of the kids attractions as well, but missed the Snow White Adventures as it was closed for a while and then the line was well over an hour after re-opening so we decided to take advantage of attractions with shorter lines elsewhere. Taking into account we even arrived nearly 2 hours after park open on a Monday, we did pretty good. Note: NEVER try to take the Shanghai Subway during morning rush hour with luggage! A Cab would have been much faster. We needed to ride the subway outbound about 30 min until we could get to a station without masses of people waiting to get on the inbound train since "pushing" onto the train with 2 people and 3 suitcases was otherwise impossible.

Fast Passes were gone for Soarin' at SDL shortly after at park open with a 2 hour wait most of the day. We skipped the fireworks at night and got in within 10 minutes at park close. 1.5 to 2 full days at SDL should be enough to do "everything". Be sure to ride Tron at night. TOTALLY different experience with the roof structure lit and evening lighting effects. I am a huge roller coaster enthusiast and have been on over 400 roller coasters. The ride itself may seem a bit short, but the visual effects combined with this highly unusual ride vehicle placed this coaster well within my to 10. Totally amazing and one of the best Disney rides ever. You feel like you are in the Tron video game!

Again, as long as you avoid the weekends, 3 full days should be enough to cover nearly everything in Tokyo. If you want to do "Everything", plan on 4 days and keep Shanghai at 2 days. When you buy your tickets, you will find the ticketing options quite restrictive. Unless you are staying at a disney owned property, you can not hop between the 2 Tokyo parks until the 3rd day of a multiple day ticket.

Last edited:
In US parks, you can ride as long as you're in line when the park closes. Does anyone know if this is the case for shanghai?

Also, any idea how far in advance hotel and ticket bookings open up? We're going in April

I used the official SHDR app at times, but found it wasn't as accurate as Orlando's. Crowds were worse on Monday and then dropped on Tuesday and even more on Wednesday. Pirates didn't even open until 11:00 every day.

Had a question about the app; been trying to play around with it, with the idea of watching wait times before our trip to get an idea of wait time patterns. However, I can't get the wait times to show up on the app. It also won't let me register for an account. How did you get yours working, or is it that it is only active in China? Thanks

Had a question about the app; been trying to play around with it, with the idea of watching wait times before our trip to get an idea of wait time patterns. However, I can't get the wait times to show up on the app. It also won't let me register for an account. How did you get yours working, or is it that it is only active in China? Thanks

Make sure you are only checking during operating hours (shanghai time). Sometimes quitting the app refreshes it.

I don't remember trying to access it before I left, but didn't have any problems with doing so while in China. That said, I did have to register for a new account.

In US parks, you can ride as long as you're in line when the park closes. Does anyone know if this is the case for shanghai?

Also, any idea how far in advance hotel and ticket bookings open up? We're going in April

This is not true in the Tokyo parks, but I watched the fireworks all three nights in Shanghai, so I can't speak to the practice there.

@DavidandLeahZ ....I am starting to plan a trip for Hong Kong and Tokyo. How far in advance did you book your airfare? How about the hotels, did you have any issues booking from the Disney sites? I know translation can sometimes be an issue. Did you meet any characters in either of the two parks? How did that go?

Do you have any general advice while I'm trying to plan my trip? Right now we will fly first to Hong Kong and stay for 2 days, one for Disney and the other to see some of the city. Then we'll spend maybe 9-10 days in Japan, doing 3 days at Disney and the rest in Tokyo, Kyoto and Okinawa.

@DavidandLeahZ ....I am starting to plan a trip for Hong Kong and Tokyo. How far in advance did you book your airfare? How about the hotels, did you have any issues booking from the Disney sites? I know translation can sometimes be an issue. Did you meet any characters in either of the two parks? How did that go?

Do you have any general advice while I'm trying to plan my trip? Right now we will fly first to Hong Kong and stay for 2 days, one for Disney and the other to see some of the city. Then we'll spend maybe 9-10 days in Japan, doing 3 days at Disney and the rest in Tokyo, Kyoto and Okinawa.

To be honest, we booked our airfare about 3 months out and got it extremely cheap (IMO).
In regards to hotels, we had no issues booking on the websites; very simple.

We met Mickey in Shanghai at his normal spot and met some characters in the castle during character dining.

In Tokyo we didn't meet any.

In Hong Kong they were wandering around but I didn't get photos with any.

I think you're wise for planning that much time in Tokyo. We spent 5 days in the parks only and I wish I'd had at least 3 more days to enjoy the things I missed. ;(

1 day in HKDL should be enough as long as there's not rain.

My husband and i are talking about a trip like this. We were thinking of doing HK first, then Shanghai, then Tokyo. Is there any specific reason you chose the order you did for which park you went to in which order? We are most excited for Tokyo so we figured we would save it for last.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter