Just got email - Rates dropped!

Just a reminder for anyone reading who is planning on using the Dapper Days discount rates: Please support the convention by participating in the Dapper Days events. (Just dressing up does not support the convention.) Tickets to the DD Expo are very inexpensive (under $15/person, and less if you buy ahead online) and the merchandise (buy online at the DD website or at the Expo) is very cute (and usually not expensive). Supporting the convention prevents abuse of the discount rates.

Just a reminder for anyone reading who is planning on using the Dapper Days discount rates: Please support the convention by participating in the Dapper Days events. (Just dressing up does not support the convention.) Tickets to the DD Expo are very inexpensive (under $15/person, and less if you buy ahead online) and the merchandise (buy online at the DD website or at the Expo) is very cute (and usually not expensive). Supporting the convention prevents abuse of the discount rates.

From what I was told, room sales are down for the event which is why the price dropped. So I don't think there's any abuse of the rates. I've never been but being a fan of Main Street and the Dapper Dan's, it seems like it should be fun. You don't have to stay onsite to attend, so I'm sure many people are opting for an offsite hotel. Even though the rate is excellent compared with rack rates, it's still pretty high.

From what I was told, room sales are down for the event which is why the price dropped. So I don't think there's any abuse of the rates. I've never been but being a fan of Main Street and the Dapper Dan's, it seems like it should be fun. You don't have to stay onsite to attend, so I'm sure many people are opting for an offsite hotel. Even though the rate is excellent compared with rack rates, it's still pretty high.
There has been a lot of abuse of the non-official convention rates in the past, both DD and Gay Days, so the sites began putting out the word asking those using the rates to actually participate in the events. There are discount rates for on site and off site hotels now, so even those who choose to stay off site have an option. We know that there are many people who read this board who may not have heard of Dapper Days before and who might not understand how the convention works, so it helps to keep speaking up for the convention organizers. And you are right -- Dapper Days is fun! You're going to have a great time.

There has been a lot of abuse of the non-official convention rates in the past, both DD and Gay Days, so the sites began putting out the word asking those using the rates to actually participate in the events. There are discount rates for on site and off site hotels now, so even those who choose to stay off site have an option. We know that there are many people who read this board who may not have heard of Dapper Days before and who might not understand how the convention works, so it helps to keep speaking up for the convention organizers. And you are right -- Dapper Days is fun! You're going to have a great time.

We're only doing the convention 1 day, as anymore seemed like overkill, but I'm forcing my wife and kids to dress in their Sunday Best for 1 day at the park. :-)

This. It’s well worth checking out too.

The Dapper Day website is pretty clear that you don't need to attend the expo to get the discounted hotel rate. Dressing up for the parks on April 19 is participating in Dapper Day and qualifies you for the rate. And Disney is the one providing the discounted rate (it's not like the Dapper Day organizers subsidize it), and Disney's interest is in promoting the parks, not in what's going on in the convention center.

So, @Captainkidd76, if you want to go to the expo for a day, that's great. But if you and your family would rather be in the parks, then do that and don't let anyone tell you you're abusing anything. If you're in the parks, you're actually supporting the organization that gave you the discount (in this case, Disney). Don't force your kids to go to the expo, and don't get bullied* into buying expo tickets because they're "only $15" (each).

*shamed by the suggestion that you're abusing something when you're clearly not abusing anything

(Edited because @goooof1 and @kristensideaoffun objected to the use of the word "bullied.")

Last edited:
So glad I saw this post - we were originally going the first weekend of May, but DD had mentioned a few days ago how much she would love to attend Dapper Day sometime, I didn't even realize that we were only missing it by two weeks. So... we moved our dates, and added a night (because I know DD will want time to go to the convention, lol!) With the discount, still saved nearly $1000 from our original reservation!!!

I am dying to go to Dapper Days one year! I love all the old photos of the park, with everyone all dressed up. My cousin went last year and it looked like a blast. Until then, I'll content myself with other people's pictures and shopping the online vendors.

The Dapper Day website is pretty clear that you don't need to attend the expo to get the discounted hotel rate. Dressing up for the parks on April 19 is participating in Dapper Day and qualifies you for the rate. And Disney is the one providing the discounted rate (it's not like the Dapper Day organizers subsidize it), and Disney's interest is in promoting the parks, not in what's going on in the convention center.

So, @Captainkidd76, if you want to go to the expo for a day, that's great. But if you and your family would rather be in the parks, then do that and don't let anyone tell you you're abusing anything. If you're in the parks, you're actually supporting the organization that gave you the discount (in this case, Disney). Don't force your kids to go to the expo, and don't get bullied into buying expo tickets because they're "only $15" (each).

The Dapper Days Expo is held at the Disneyland Hotel, not the non-Disney Anaheim Convention Center. The discounted hotel rates are given by Disneyland to the Dapper Days organization because they are holding it at the DLH. Dapper Days organizers do not currently require expo registration or participating in Dapper Days to receive the discounted hotel rate, but it clearly states on their website that they may do so in the future.

No one is bullying anyone. It’s just courteous to support Dapper Days, because the organization is spending the time and money to put on this event and they are nice enough to offer the discounted hotel rate to everyone, not just expo attendees. If too many people with no intention of supporting the expo or participating in Dapper Days fill the rooms, the Dapper Days organizers may stop publicly publishing the hotel link and only sending it to expo registrants. There are plenty of other large expositions that operate this way.

(Edited because @goooof1 and @kristensideaoffun objected to the use of the word "bullied.")

NO.... NOT a matter of one word or semantics !! It is a matter of supporting the organization that is arranging the convention and making it easy for those who are participating to attend ! and yes, abuse of the discounts has been pretty widespread in the past.

$389 is $40 less than what they were asking earlier this year .. Our last Dapper Day in 2016 at GCH was $257

I thought "bullied" was fair, but I don't want you to get hung up on one word. So rather than argue semantics, I edited the post at that point. It's a little more cumbersome now, but it still reflects what happened in the post I referenced.

Dapper Days is paying to hold the expo at the Disneyland Hotel. The discounted hotel rates being open to all is something nice that Dapper Days does, but does not have to do. Disneyland does NOT offer these discounted rooms to the general public, Dapper Days does. They could force people to register for the expo before sending a hotel registration link. Many other organizations do this to prevent abuse of the discount and to make sure the people that actually want to attend the convention can stay in the hotel where it is being held. And Dapper Days does say on their website that they may require registration in the future. This will probably happen when too many people start booking discounted rooms but not actually supporting the convention or Dapper Days. It doesn’t sound like this is an issue now, but could be in the future.

The posters asking people to “please support Dapper Days” were not directed at the OP and certainly were not even remotely close to bullying or shaming. Not really sure why the hostility is necessary here. The OP sounds like a willing Dapper Days participant that is spreading the word that the discounted rate is now even better. No harm done.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!