Just how busy is DW during Gay Days?

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
Planning a big family trip either first or second week of June 2020. Just wondering which week will be busier in June. Hoping for lesser crowds since we will be traveling with 9 children, 10 and younger. Perfer 1st week for Flower and Garden at EPcot but would give that up if Pride days bring huge crowds. Anyone have data from past crowd attendance?

Thanks for all input, :).

The first week of June is usually less busy than the second week, because schools in the Western US usually don't end their sessions until the 2nd week of June. A few years ago I hosted a group trip in my DVC to Disney World with kids during Gay Days, and they had a great time, especially at MK on Gay Day because a lot of the kid attractions and character meet and greets are less crowded due to the park crowd having a higher percentage of adults than usual. A group of 16 of us, with two teens,three 6 years old and an infant. I was the only gay one in the group. Everyone had a great time. Going this year June 3 to 11 with a 10 year old and her grandparents. Just remember, no matter when you go, with a large family group it is like herding cats.

Last edited:
Looks like Flower and Garden is March 4-June 1, 2020 so if you go 1st week of June you will probably miss that

Truly, the only day during Gay Days with a noticeable impact on crowds is the designated Magic Kingdom day. (Each park has a designated "red shirt day" for Gay Days). There is a percentage of people who come down to Orlando for Gay Days but will only do one park day: MK (there are many other parties and events that take up their time). I have never found the MK day to be overwhelmingly crowded, just slightly more than average. (Although it is the one day a year when Country Bear Jamboree has a 30 min line out the door due to all the comical meetups for the bear community haha). If crowds are at all a concern for you, just look at the gay days calendar and plan to be at a different park on the scheduled MK day. All other parks have a a negligible difference in attendance and you wont feel it at all.

The first week of June is usually less busy than the second week, because schools in the Western US usually don't end their sessions until the 2nd week of June. A few years ago I hosted a group trip in my DVC to Disney World with kids during Gay Days, and they had a great time, especially at MK on Gay Day because a lot of the kid attractions and character meet and greets are less crowded due to the park crowd having a higher percentage of adults than usual. A group of 16 of us, with two teens,three 6 years old and an infant. I was the only gay one in the group. Everyone had a great time. Going this year June 3 to 11 with a 10 year old and her grandparents. Just remember, no matter when you go, with a large family group it is like herding cats.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will take your advice and keep 1st week to avoid those school crowds. We might make the Flower and Garden for at least one day if it last until the first.

Gay Days was moved to August, right?

Only for 2019.
They were changed due a "Scheduling conflict" with the host hotel. For 2020 Margaritaville Resort is hosting June 2 to 8. A lot of people went in June anyway, for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was weather.

From the website:
Gay Days Returns to June in 2020 at Margaritaville Resort
Join us June 2nd-8th, 2020 at the best Gay Days resort yet, Margaritaville Resort Orlando.

I was their in August, and while the Park seemed a bit more crowded, it was barely a noticeable difference. I like to Park Hop and could see a difference between MK and Epcot (it was at MK that day), and it was nothing dramatic.

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much as a factor in trip planning, but I have never gone when they are in June!

Only for 2019.
They were changed due a "Scheduling conflict" with the host hotel. For 2020 Margaritaville Resort is hosting June 2 to 8. A lot of people went in June anyway, for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was weather.
I was their in August, and while the Park seemed a bit more crowded, it was barely a noticeable difference. I like to Park Hop and could see a difference between MK and Epcot (it was at MK that day), and it was nothing dramatic.

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much as a factor in trip planning, but I have never gone when they are in June!

I was down for both the traditional June gathering as well as the adjusted August dates last year. There wasn't any noticeable surge in crowds levels for either time frame. But was was mentioned there was a larger number of non-child age park visitors.
Looking forward to popping back down in June again this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!