Just left the Fantasy, DO NOT WANT TO START A DEBATE

Texas_Buckeye

Earning My Ears
Hello! Not here to start a debate, just an FYI. We left the Fantasy, Saturday morning (sigh). We did sail Conceirge. Our room was stocked daily with individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc. We DID NOT have the bigger pump bottles. Our Stateroom Hostess, RIA (absolutely wonderful person) provided my granddaughter with EXTRA Lufa Sponges. My granddaughter, age 4, absolutely loved that! Lol
Yes, we had our ups and downs with this cruise, and I will never book another Halloween on the High Seas cruise again. No matter the age of my grandchildren (not sure who'll I'll take), taking a "Specialty " cruise just wasn't worth the added stress.

Sorry to hear that. My wife and I have taken 4 Halloween on the high seas and a Christmas cruise and had a blast. We have no children so we were very flexible on what we wanted to do when we wanted to do thing.

LeiaofAlderaan, We attended the Second Trick or Treat, we had early dinner seating. Trust me, we did not go, nor were interested, in the amount of candy received. What ended up being stressful, was the fact my granddaughters were pushed and shoved out of line by the older kids/adults. We were at the front of the Shutters line, (the one with the "decorated" backdrop), preparing to have a family picture taken. A "gentleman" with his family (?) ran into photo area (through the exit area), dropped his 3/4 filled pillowcase of candy, organized his family (?), placed all their filled bags next to his, and had his pictures taken. I looked at the photographer and he just looked back at me. We ended up leaving that area. I had THOUGHT this would be a FUN and EXCITING experience for my 1 and 4 year old grandchildren. Both were ready to leave after this.
Ihoobs4....The debate? Don't want the debate on individual bottles or the larger pump bottles. I remember seeing a previous thread on this subject.

Once again I am sorry to hear this. My wife and I have no children so we do not do pictures or trick or treating. It is sad to hear not only children acting rude and inconsiderate but also their parents. I have not seen anything like this on the ship however I have seen it many times at Disney World.

Just a completely terrible experience if that happened to me. These are the things that completely drive me nuts when paying a premium for an experience. Hopefully the kids had a great experience elsewhere on the ship though outside of the Trick or Treat evening.

I wonder if a good idea for this would be skipping dinner for the evening and doing the event with late dining and grabbing dinner elsewhere or from room service. This would let you get in during possibly a less busy time or with fewer families with kids.

First ever cruise next month and we are not taking the kids so we can get the lay of the land before we take them possibly in the future.

So sorry this happened to you. Should not have happened and was the responsibility of the photographer. Personally, would have gone to Guest Services to report the incident, not expecting to get something from it, but asking them to advise the photographer's supervisor to re-instruct their personnel so this does not happen again.

So you would not do a themed cruise because someone jumped in front of you at Shutters?

I feel that could happen on any cruise. There are always threads here about "guests behaving badly."

It's likely that this wasn't the only thing. I've been reading horrible things about the HOTHS cruises this year - very disorganized, people(adults!) pushing and shoving, taking all the candy, etc. Sometimes it's the last thing that happens that does you in.

Sadly, for the first time, we witnessed several rude people. Even my daughter and son-in-law mentioned it. However, we used what happened as a learning experience. Told my granddaughter "this is how NOT to behave" no matter where you are! Didn't think about complaining to Guest Services, they couldn't have done anything anyhow. Just chalked it up! Lol It was a good learning experience and granddaughters did have a nice time with all the characters.

OP, I would have felt the same way you did. Unfortunately, I believe CMs are trained with a "we cannot control guest behavior" mentality and probably wanted the situation to resolve quickly and with the least conflict. With that in mind, the rude family got their picture taken and you were left in the lurch. It would have left a bad taste in my mouth as well.

We’ve sailed on Disney for years and the behavior of the people onboard is getting worse!!!
On our last cruise people in the theater were so rude. People around us talked during the entire show. One family’s child didn’t want to sit during the show so she walked him up and down the stairs in the way of everyone. At the end of the shows people would get up and walk out during the announcements at the end.
Too many people think it’s my vacation I paid a lot with no consideration that everyone around them did too.

We’ve sailed on Disney for years and the behavior of the people onboard is getting worse!!!
On our last cruise people in the theater were so rude. People around us talked during the entire show. One family’s child didn’t want to sit during the show so she walked him up and down the stairs in the way of everyone. At the end of the shows people would get up and walk out during the announcements at the end.
Too many people think it’s my vacation I paid a lot with no consideration that everyone around them did too.
I have noticed a similar behavior at WDW during shows. Family groups get up before the end and start piling out- distracting the rest of us from the ending. It’s annoying, but I agree that people have the mentality that they don’t care about anyone else but themselves and their family.

When I was younger, people didn't tolerate you when you acted like a buffoon in public or if you were disruptive. If you were walking down the street and you used profane language toward someone, there was an expectation that you got beat. At the time, it was considered "you should have known better" or "you got what was coming to you". Looking back, I'm actually glad that's the way it was because it made for a better/polite society. Kids now days grow up to be adults who do not know how to behave because nobody has ever put them in check. They disrespectfully run their mouths to complete strangers because they've had a lifetime of never getting knocked out for their behavior. Now you get arrested for giving someone what's coming to them. You even get called a bully for hurting someone's feelings for pointing out that they are acting like an idiot. In the age of safe spaces, bully educational videos and hurt feelings reports, there's only going to be an increase of abnormal and outrageous behavior by people who believe the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. A whole generation of special/entitled people who are not held responsible for their conduct. There will be many who disagree with me but my Exhibit A are the abundance of stories like the ones above.

I have noticed a similar behavior at WDW during shows. Family groups get up before the end and start piling out- distracting the rest of us from the ending. It’s annoying, but I agree that people have the mentality that they don’t care about anyone else but themselves and their family.
American values at their best! Everyone is special. Meaning you can go through the red light and turn left and disrupt everyone. you can interrupt a cast member talking to a group because you have a question. you can leave the show early because you have to make a reservation. Everyone thinks they're so special nowadays and doesn't think about other people.
I've had to definitely set myself up to not react and handle disappointment in large crowds at Disney and just think it's part of the process. Sometimes you're in the theater with someone who is entirely rude and disruptive and other times you're not.

American values at their best! Everyone is special. Meaning you can go through the red light and turn left and disrupt everyone. you can interrupt a cast member talking to a group because you have a question. you can leave the show early because you have to make a reservation. Everyone thinks they're so special nowadays and doesn't think about other people.
I've had to definitely set myself up to not react and handle disappointment in large crowds at Disney and just think it's part of the process. Sometimes you're in the theater with someone who is entirely rude and disruptive and other times you're not.

Its not just Americans.
I have seen it with foreigners who use the language barrier as an excuse. I have had large groups try to cut the line at rides and when you stop them they point to their one friend at the head of the line.
I tell them their friend can wait for you to catch up then I block the line so they cant get through. They get mad but they get the point.
There was a large group of tourist that would come up every year around the same time. They were in large groups everywhere they went. Disney got so tired of the guest complaints and the damage and I mean bad damage they would do to the resort rooms the tour groups were told not to come back. This was back in 1999 and into the early 2000s.

We just came off the HOTHS Dream cruise. We didn’t encounter any rude people fortunately. However, the event for trick or treating was very disorganized. No one really seemed to know where to go. I didn’t see any pushing or shoving but wish there was something in the Navigaftor to tell you exactly where the trick or treat stations were. Overall it was fun though.

We did the Sept. 7 HOTHS cruise, and I've debated about saying anything. This was our first time on the Fantasy, we've previously sailed on the Magic several times. Always were happy to pay the premium price to sail with Disney because the consideration from other guests as well as the feel of more square footage per guest helped us enjoy our experience. Not saying there weren't some bad experiences, but over all we felt the cruises were relaxing uncrowded and enjoyable. The Fantasy was a complete crowd fest from start to finish. The terminal simply wasn't built to handle the number of guests the Fantasy carries, it seems as if when they built the Fantasy they went higher, but not much wider or longer. The result seemed to be several more decks of staterooms and not much larger public areas to handle the bigger crowds. And I'm sorry but there's simply no excuse to not have enough lounge chairs at Castaway Cay for every guest on the ship. It's not calculus it's simple math. x number of guests equals x number of chairs, and guess what the number never changes. And I realize people "save" chairs even though there's supposed to be a policy in place to prevent this, the only time it was enforced on our cruise was when i enforced it myself.
Nemo's reef should immediately be renamed Thunder Dome. It has an age limit that also isn't even acknowledged let alone enforced. The same was true of most of the venues intended for the smaller kids. They had to fight for any use of the facilities with kids that were twice their size as the bigger kids parents looked on.
And I'm sorry, but everyone on the boat doesn't love the inconsiderate monster you raised, so don't get upset with us when we simply point out where the back of the line is since you seem to be incapable of controlling them in anyway. I literally had a mother look at me and say. " I can't control him" when her at least 12 year old "child" cut into a line because he saw a sandwich he thought he might like. As the mother tried to control him he simply ignored her. Don't tell me you're that unaware of your inability to control your child. And quite frankly the rest of the world shouldn't have to pay for your lack of parenting. And again all in full view of cast members that refused to get involved. I understand not wanting to upset any guests, but if you have guests following the rules in the Restaurants and public areas, the least the cast members could do is remind the ones that aren't what the rules are. It was kind of like OK, we have your money now fend for yourself.
I understand that space is at a premium on the ships, and everyone has to learn to get along and make room for others. It just seems like for the extra price paid to sail with Disney the least they could do is maintain a passenger to public space ratio that makes it worth it. The Fantasy in my opinion and the Disney facilities , " Castaway Cay and the Terminal" were woefully inadequate compared to the Magic and Wonder. I'm not expecting any better from the new ships coming out, so our vacation dollars will be applied elsewhere for the foreseeable future.
Sorry if this offends and I'm not looking for a discussion. I realize my experience may differ from yours, but this was our experience and our take away. Just thought I'd put this out there, to read these boards sometimes you'd think there were no downsides at all to a disney cruise, just pixie dust and sunshine. It's not all perfect for everyone.
I really think the underlying problem with the Fantasy is entirely too many guests for the size of the ship.

Aren't these themed cruises more expensive than just a regular cruise? Are they just unavoidable during certain times, on the Dream and Fantasy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter