Just need to vent.....

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
I just got back from a trip with extended family. I have a GAC for several issues related to an accident I had. I do ride most of the rides but not all (Test Track, Space, Body Wars, Star Tours, etc are out). I also can not watch the night time parade at MK. I try to go offseason or at non-peak times so I don't have issues with the crowds, but this trip couldn't be moved.

I went with a large group that included an aunt, uncle, cousin and his son. My uncle had a stroke several years ago and can not walk well, speak well, or be out in the sun long due to meds he is on. I explained this to the CM at MGM. They issued him a pass with the little wheelchair symbol on it. Mine does not have that symbol but another one.

Anyway, we went our separate ways one day and my aunt realized that their card was just sending them through the regular line with the scooter --WHEN my uncle would ride a ride...99% of the time he did not ride and some days did not even go to the parks. She was not happy that. She went to Guest Services at the Magic Kingdom and told the CM she needed the "best guest assistance card you have" . I won't go into exactly what she said but THEY GAVE INTO HER!!!!!

I explained to her that the card was for the person it was issued to and that person had to be experiencing the ride for them to use it. Well guess what--they put the card in her name so she thought it was ok. She thought if I qualified for one then surely they did too!!! I feel HORRIBLE that I even let them know about the GAC and where to get one! It was actually embarassing to be with them because the 4 year old is out of control and was climbing everything in sight. 20 other kids are waiting patiently in line for an autograph and picture and he's climbing rocks, walls, etc. At one point he flipped himself over the fence at EPCOT and was on the water side of the fence. They even lost him at the Magic Kingdom once!!! Thankfully when they reported it to a CM a CM already him. If he wasn't running out of control then they were screaming at him to get back here. (Nothing was ever said to him about the climbing until I looked at them and said "just because there's a not a sign that says no climbing doesn't mean it's allowed"). Then this group was walking up to the rides and flashing a GAC and getting to use it. (of course to anyone who had been seeing them they probably thought the 4 year old "issues" --which he doesn't-they even took him to doctor to check for HDD/or that stuff).

I just needed to vent---the GAC system is a blessing to so many families that have true issues that I spent the rest of the week being really pissed that they were able to manipulate it. And I guess I still am...because now they know how to manipulate the system and will continue to do so..probably even for other family members who go to WDW.

I wish there was a GAC hotline to call and have the computer 'flag" that pass!!!!!!

WHEW!! I feel better. Thanks for listening.

It sounds like you had a frustrating time with her. I hope that the rest of your vacation was better.

Ray

Thanks Ray. One of my issues is the inability to deal well with crowds, noise, confusion, etc. So I really tried to keep my cool because I know I have a shorter tolerance than I used to. I'm alrady planning a trip back there sans family.

I'm sorry it was so bad.....you probably could call Guest services about the pass, but if it is like most of them it was only good for the length of her stay...

My husband had to force me to get the pass and use it, I was so embarrassed to use it (even tho we both [dd and I] need it)

ETA: When you come back we would love to meet you!

I am sorry to read you had problems at WDW with extended family & that they took advantage of the situation.

I was at WDW with some cousins recently. We had not been together for a vacation before this trip. It worked out so much better than I ever could have imagined! We all used my GAC when we were together. My cousin's children were very polite & well behaved.

We use a GAC sparingly, but when wee need it, we really need it.
One thing that makes me mad is that people who abuse the system make people look at the rest of us with suspicion.
The internet can be good -it's where we found out about the GAC, but it can also lead to abuse.

Several years ago, I was at Disneyland with my 4 year old nephew who patiently waited in line with me to ride Dumbo for 35 minutes. Just as we were about to board our elephant he announced "I have to go potty, NOW". The CM told us to come back and we could enter through the exit because he had already waited his turn.

We waited at the exit for the ride to stop and a woman with 2 small boys came barging in and announced her sons were to get on the ride immediately because her forearm was in a cast. The CM asked if she had a GAC and was riding with them. The woman said "Of course not".

Needless to say the boys were sent to the end of the line. I guess some people will try anything. :confused3

I know in your case you thought the family was not using the card correct and it may have been true in that case.
But for example I need to use it for my family due to a issue I rather not talk about in public and so just because you see a family-that looks like a normal family -don't assume that they are miss using the card asst for park rides, etc. As the saying goes don't always judge a book by its cover!!!!

Disney Fans said:
I know in your case you thought the family was not using the card correct and it may have been true in that case.
But for example I need to use it for my family due to a issue I rather not talk about in public and so just because you see a family-that looks like a normal family -don't assume that they are miss using the card asst for park rides, etc. As the saying goes don't always judge a book by its cover!!!!
That is true, but I just wanted to point out that the OP knew the people involved because she was related to them and went with them to Guest Services to get the card.

Disney Fans said:
This is the exact reason I am hesitant in requesting a GAC...Our dd has Asperger''s and looks "normal". A stranger would never comphrehend her necessity for the GAC... :sad2:

arubalisa said:
This is the exact reason I am hesitant in requesting a GAC...Our dd has Asperger''s and looks "normal". A stranger would never comphrehend her necessity for the GAC... :sad2:
It was more of a "problem" before FastPass. There are a lot of people in the regular line who are busy staring at the people in the FastPass line, wondering what they did to get Fastpasses. :) That did take some attention off other people.

arubalisa said:

You know what :)? A stranger doesn't need to comprehend why you are using a GAC - strangers do not even have a need to know that you have a GAC! Seriously, if you feel a GAC would help your daughter & your family, then by all means ask for one.

Thanks for all the comments....I am a bit "over it" now but still think about the number of legitimate people who would benefit from this (GAC) and are hesitant to use it and then my own family who in my opinion mis-used it and I just wonder about the world. (If I repeated what was told to guest services to get the card you wouldn't believe the CM issued a card. I don't want to share that particular statement because there are literaly thousands of people who can make the same statement. The fact that my aunt can be, let's just call it "assertive", probably was a major factor in the CM caving in)

I have to agree with the other posters about not worrying about what "strangers" say or think. The first time I had to use a wheelchair at WDW I was literally in tears as my DH pushed me through the parks. I then realized people were staring--but because I was crying not because of the chair. I too "look" perfectly normal and have issues most people wouldn't understand. So if you need it--get it. Don't worry about what people think.

Hi

Been reading these posts and now I am not sure if we use our GAC card ethically. I am having a crisis of conscience.

My DD will be 6 next year but due to medical issues iwill be unable to make use of a lot of the rides. On a past visit ,we got a GAC on account of how she 'behaves' in lines etc, frequency of seizures plus her limited mobility (she uses a large stroller as a wheelchair).

As DD gets her GAC, probably as much for the comfort and enjoyment of others as well as ourselves, we used this for rides where she wasn't taking part so that my husband and I could ride with our other two children using babyswap.

Although on our next visit our daughter still won't be using some of the rides should I feel ok using the pass for others rides so the whole family (5 of us) can enjoy our experience?

In general, the GAC is supposed to be used for the person it is issued to (i.e. for attractions that they are going to be going on - sort of like a handicapped parking permit). In general, if other members of the party want to go on things the person with a disability can't go on, they would get fastpasses for those attractions. That's what we were told the first time we got a GAC and what we have done. I think the reasoning is to avoid someone using a GAC just to get on all the thrill rides if the person with a disability won't be riding them.
While the rest of our party are doing things DD can't go on (or doesn't like), that's when she and I do a bathroom stop or go on a solo ride that she enjoys (but maybe no one else wanted to go on).

I guess I'd suggest you ask at Guest Services when you request the GAC. There might be things she can't ride, but would like the "surroundings". So, I guess, if you ask and they say no, you can plan and if they say yes, you can do it and not feel guilty.

Also, depending on when you go, you may find that the lines for certain rides vary during the course of the day. Some that have a long wait early in the day are almost walk on later.

Thanks - last time round it didn't really involve the thrill rides as the kids were too small for most but on our next trip they will be tall enough. Fast Pass sounds the way to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter