Just off the dream, what's with all the commercials

at227

Mouseketeer
Just off the dream and we have noticed that in the theater they play commercials for dvc and adventures by Disney. Also these commercials played on the funnel vision. The last cruise we were on was 3 years ago on fantasy and there were no commercials.

When did they start doing this? The commercials were so annoying and we are hoping that this is only isolated to the shorter cruises. No need to sell anything to us, we are already there!

Disney wants a higher percentage of your wallet, pity there isn't a " fast forward" in the WDT.

I have seen these before, and over the years the CD announcements over the PA change from information to a sales pitch.

I think the captain will be selling advance rental of life boats soon, you can pay by the hour or day or cruise, or DVC a seat on a lifeboat. Of course if you pay for an hour on a lifeboat and then stay on it longer, you have a chance to pay more, DVC or swim.

You ask what’s with all the commercials. It all comes down to $$$$$$$$. Does anyone know if dvc and abd pays DCL to have the commercials on their ships. Or is it free for them since it’s all disney. Bottom line it comes down to $$$$$$$$$

I have seen them over the last year or so but only in the Buena Vista theatre. I didn’t mind them. They are on all ships.

Don’t forget the tv channels dedicated to ABD and DVC also

MJ

It's all part of Disney's plan to get more money out of you and keep you coming back! I have noticed a bunch of Disney related commercials on ABC and ESPN lately as well. They are all one big conglomerate owned by Disney Corporation.

Sadly, it’s called synergy. In the entertainment business Disney was a pioneer with this in the 80s, vertically and horizontally integrating all their various business models to link, one to the other, and increase sales across the board. They are milking it now for every last penny. What was once a soft stroke has become a hard sell as the ESPN (and other networks’) profits have thinned considerably and it needs to be made up elsewhere.
Think Glengarry Glen Ross: “ABC - Always Be Closing”

You ask what’s with all the commercials. It all comes down to $$$$$$$$. Does anyone know if dvc and abd pays DCL to have the commercials on their ships. Or is it free for them since it’s all disney. Bottom line it comes down to $$$$$$$$$
The most recent Disney corporate organization has the theme parks, DCL, DVC, and Adventures by Disney all within the Walt Disney Parks, Experiences, and Consumer Products segment. Bob Chapek is now chairman of this business segment. There seems to have been an increase in the cross marketing of products offered by this segment, like the ABD add-ons that are available on some of the cruises. So whether DVC and ABD pay DCL for these ads is somewhat of a bookkeeping question, since it would be a transfer of money from one unit within the segment to another unit within the same segment.

I feel like I’m even seeing more commercials for Disney lately when the kids are watching Disney Jr. They have a couple where it’s like a whole story (a girl on her “kindermoon” etc). Maybe they’ve always been playing them and I’m just noticing more but they are really working on pulling on those heartstrings with some of these! The Disney Cruise one is like that too.

After at least one of my last cruises, I was sent a survey and it asked a lot about whether I saw commercials for ABD and DVC and whether or not I knew I could book or sign up for them on the ship. It was even more annoying than being subjected to the commercials on the ship.

Just off the dream and we have noticed that in the theater they play commercials for dvc and adventures by Disney. Also these commercials played on the funnel vision. The last cruise we were on was 3 years ago on fantasy and there were no commercials.

When did they start doing this? The commercials were so annoying and we are hoping that this is only isolated to the shorter cruises. No need to sell anything to us, we are already there!

Must be new, I don't remember seeing them on my cruise last October.

I can say that they've been showing commercials in the theatre before movies for years - at least going back to 2011 (that's the cruise that I remember them from - maybe they were before that but I can say for certain, they were showing commercials in 2011).

Disney doesn't just nickel and dime on board their ships - they try to get you to spends thousands.

Hey, they have three new ships to pay for. The movies are free...kinda, so close your eyes and imagine the lobster tail for dinner or snorkeling at CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter