Just off the Wonder this week. All good, just a few hiccups.

Snowwhyt

I feel the Magic with every visit ❤️
We used Disney arranged flights, took Disney arranged transportation, stayed at Disney arranged hotels. We started in Galveston, ported in Jamaica, disembarked in San Juan. We stayed at Stellaris in San Juan and Marriott in Galveston. We selected the horseback riding with Dunn’s River-falls. I won over $540 in bingo. We were bestowed two Magical Moment Certificates (now I have 3).
Any questions I can answer for you? Overall it was a great trip!

My hiccups:
-DCL transportation was almost 90 minutes late picking us up from the Houston airport.
-If you like the drink of the day, bring your own straws. My first drink required three straws to complete the drink. Each one after required two until I finally purchased a character drink from the theater that came with a plastic straw. I can go into further details if you like, basically the current paper straws are very flawed.
-Our hotel reservations were made to accommodate a person 6’3” with a queen size bed whom instead had to sleep in a double bed.
-I was frustrated that at 3pm Disney offered a email address to correct the room booking problem and refused to offer a live person so that it could be solved before we entered the hotel room.

Last edited:
We'll be on the Wonder in May. Guess I better pack straws. Do they get upset (wait it's Disney, they never get upset) if you bring your own plastic straw and leave it in the empty drink (along with the paper wrapper)?

I don’t think Galveston handles commercial flights. Did you fly in there, to Houston Hobby or IAH?

I take it the bus ride down was fine once it arrived?

Paper straws are what they are. With the growing movement against disposable plastic straws I expect paper to become the norm. I think we’re all gonna have to figure out how to drink these cruise cocktails with them or perhaps, without them. Might require “significant empirical study” to come up with a conclusion.

I hope all of you saying you’re gonna bring your own straws you’re not considering bringing disposable plastic straws. Are you guys really saying the minor nuisance of having to use three paper straws overrides the potential of a plastic straw you bring on board blowing overboard and damaging Sea life?? DCL has these policies for a reason. Same with Balloons. I am not normally a snarky person but at some point you just have to shake your head and say first world problems

I disliked the paper straws as well but I decided to purchase stainless steel straws and I love them. I bought a whole set on Amazon of all different sizes...some angle ones, some strait, some shorter, some taller. One even can handle a smoothie. They are easy to clean and I prefer them to plastic reusable straws. I had bought one a few months ago and took that on my last cruise and just recently bought the bigger set. I wanted a straw tall enough to fit my Tervis cups.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HG38HVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't bother using the plastic tips that came with the set.

When we cruised out of Galveston we flew into Houston airport and booked private transfers.

MJ

Last edited:
My husband bought some of those fancy Last Straws so we're all set there, provided they get packed.

We board the Wonder in just 11 days, going from San Juan to Port Canaveral. Any general San Juan tips? We're not staying at a Disney-affiliated hotel.

I bought a set of stainless steel straws off Amazon as well and bring them with me everywhere. I have a pouch for them in my purse. The set comes with straw cleaning brushes. There is no need at all to use plastic straws anymore.

I hope all of you saying you’re gonna bring your own straws you’re not considering bringing disposable plastic straws. Are you guys really saying the minor nuisance of having to use three paper straws overrides the potential of a plastic straw you bring on board blowing overboard and damaging Sea life?? DCL has these policies for a reason. Same with Balloons. I am not normally a snarky person but at some point you just have to shake your head and say first world problems

We bring our own plastic straws and dispose of the properly when finished with each drink, just like we did when DCL supplied them. And yes, my nuisance of the paper straws does override my individual potential of it possibly blowing overboard and making an extremely small impact to sea life.

Maybe because I drink too fast or something, but my paper straws were just fine. I kind of liked the texture.

Like others, I'm extremely NOT fond of paper straws. They just don't stand up to such use. Yes, the nuisance of using 3 straws instead of one is part of the issue. I suppose to make it easier, DCL could just supply extra straws with those drinks that require them. Oh, wait, what about massive overuse of paper to make multiple straws for drinks? That's certainly environmentally unfriendly.

Drinking directly out of a glass in public venues is just cringe-worthy to me, I use a straw.

But, bringing my own permanent straw? I mean, I have to wash straws now on vacation? And carrying it around? Where? In my pocket? Don't have many outfits that have a pocket large enough for that. Now I have to invest in a straw holder? I don't think so.

We bring our own plastic straws and dispose of the properly when finished with each drink, just like we did when DCL supplied them. And yes, my nuisance of the paper straws does override my individual potential of it possibly blowing overboard and making an extremely small impact to sea life.

Like others, I'm extremely NOT fond of paper straws. They just don't stand up to such use. Yes, the nuisance of using 3 straws instead of one is part of the issue. I suppose to make it easier, DCL could just supply extra straws with those drinks that require them. Oh, wait, what about massive overuse of paper to make multiple straws for drinks? That's certainly environmentally unfriendly.

Drinking directly out of a glass in public venues is just cringe-worthy to me, I use a straw.

But, bringing my own permanent straw? I mean, I have to wash straws now on vacation? And carrying it around? Where? In my pocket? Don't have many outfits that have a pocket large enough for that. Now I have to invest in a straw holder? I don't think so.

Make a quick google search of "plastic straws and sea life" and I can tell you those animals would not say that the single straw that they ingested, and likely contributed to their death, or the single straw that was stuck in their body made only a "small impact" on them. You can also google "Plastic Island" and see that those little bits of plastic accumulates to make a massive impact on the ocean and sea life. Fighting plastic is a fight worth having. And perhaps paper straws aren't the answer either and we should all just drink from our cups and glasses....I think we'll manage and live.....the sea animals on the other hand.....

It’s a case of baby steps here. Yes paper straws require a lot of processing to make and distribute so it’s clearly not THE permanent solution. But they are biodegradable and animals won’t die from accidentally ingesting one, so here we are.

What is a magical moment certificate?

Crewmembers on the ship have the ability to award an individual, or a family with a magical moment certificate. It can come from just about anyone for almost any reason. It's just a way for the crew members to recognize positive relationships that they have built with the guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!