Just off the Wonder!

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
It was a wonderful cruise!

Highlights...
* Probably the most perfect Castaway Day I’ve experienced in 5 cruises.
* Lilla gives amazing manis!!
* Leyston made amazing coffees for me in Cove Cafe (though I think today was a shift bars day).
* Loved the DCL shows as always
* Dining rooms were excellent - I even loved Tiana’s in spite of my hesitation about it (and a kid at the table next to us getting sick at dinner - our amazing dining team did move the family at the table with them to a new table for the night and offered to move us as well)
* Getting a $24 glass of champagne for $10 thanks to the Somolier Bin!
* Palo Brunch - gluten-free chicken parmesan...and the current chef has brought back the strawberry soup for now and it is on the buffet table!!
* 100% private wine tasting at regular DCL wine tasting prices - I was the only one signed up, and though I said he did not have to do it, he did.

Other things:
I was out of brunch in time to see Jack-Jack’s Incredible Diaper Dash for the first time. Sooooooo cute!!!

I did not do the Silent DJ party either time (they did it a second time by popular demand), but walking by Azure when it was happening was HYSTERICAL.

Really enjoyed the new Sail A Wave party and the Pirate Deck Party and fireworks.

I did get really nervous at the Pirate Party because there were a couple of dads standing almost at the external rail (as in at the side of the ship, not the one overlooking the pool deck) who had their kids on their shoulders and all I could think was “If you get bumped or your kid wiggles too much...” Really wish DCL would put up stancions or something a foot or so from the rail and between it and the external rail no kids on shoulders allowed. Sadly it will probably take a tragedy for parents to realize that maybe there are some places they should reconsider popping the kid up there.

Loved my cabin - 2086. Muster Station L on deck.

Staff was across-the-board excellent in all my interactions with them.

The variety act was Hector is Magic. I only stayed a few minutes as I think he had been on one of my RCCL cruises before and he’s fine, but since I’m not a big magic fan I decided to leave early.

My DCL bus pick up from Art of Animation was at 12:00, but we were the last stop so it was straight to the port. I walked right on after checking in and waited like 2 minutes for the staterooms to open. Very simple!

I did give Sarah my card for a placeholder - have not seen the charge yet, but she was slammed yesterday, so probably later today or early tomorrow. I heard that the ship was sailing 6 passengers shy of completely full.

I was a solo adult, so I can’t really answer any kid questions, but I can try to answer others.

Last edited:
Jack-Jack's Diaper Dash is one of my favorite things to watch. Those babies are always so cute.

I think Hector is Magic was on one of our Magic cruises. I wasn't really a fan.

Glad you had a beautiful Castaway Cay day!

Jack-Jack's Diaper Dash is one of my favorite things to watch. Those babies are always so cute.

I think Hector is Magic was on one of our Magic cruises. I wasn't really a fan.

Glad you had a beautiful Castaway Cay day!

There was one baby who was sooooo eager Mom kept having to pull her back. When they were allowed to go, she hesitated but then went barreling down...only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by sitting literally just this side of the finish line while the little one next to her finally got in gear and was coaxed over the line with Cheerios.

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for your recap. Our first sailing was on the Wonder pre-refurb. We're heading to Alaska this May and I'm so excited to see the transformation.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
We board in 3 days too :goodvibes
Hoping for a great CC day too!
May asked which champagne brand you scored on that deal???
Love Moet Ice, hoping that could be floating around in there too.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
We board in 3 days too :goodvibes
Hoping for a great CC day too!
May asked which champagne brand you scored on that deal???
Love Moet Ice, hoping that could be floating around in there too.

It was Veuve Clicquot - not sure if there were different kinds under that label.

My guess is Moët Ice is popular enough it may not make it in the Bon very often.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

One thing I am really undecided on is how we will get to the port from our Disney hotel. There are 5 of us so cost could really go either way. Part of me wants to do the transfers directly from the resort because I would actually like to arrive at the port after the craziness is over but the other part says arrange your own transportation and don't miss a single second on the ship. Did you have lunch on the ship? If yes, did you feel like you had plenty of time to enjoy your meal?

Oh! One other note - there was no night designated “Optional Dress-Up” like on most 4-nights I have been on. All Cruise Casual or Pirate.

Not that they prevents you from wearing dress-up if you want! (I did hear one mom saying she was going to tell her kids it was a misprint and WAS dress-up night. Haha!!)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

One thing I am really undecided on is how we will get to the port from our Disney hotel. There are 5 of us so cost could really go either way. Part of me wants to do the transfers directly from the resort because I would actually like to arrive at the port after the craziness is over but the other part says arrange your own transportation and don't miss a single second on the ship. Did you have lunch on the ship? If yes, did you feel like you had plenty of time to enjoy your meal?

I chose not to eat on the ship. I was still full from dinner the night before and breakfast that morning.

I’m sure other resorts might have had earlier busses. I do not know what other resort or resorts we were with - just that we were the final stop for that bus.

I would think it would be fine to get lunch at Cabanas as long as you do not have to jump in the pool immediately or do not want to unpack immediately (I only had carry-on so I was 100% unpacked and settled before Muster.)

Glad you had a great time. I love all the DCL shows on the Wonder. I totally agree with you about kids on their parents shoulders!! It makes me so nervous when I see it happening, not just on the ship, but any public place. We stayed in a cabin close to the one you were in when we went to Alaska several years ago. Loved that area. Last year we were further aft on deck two and on the starboard side, it was really noisy. Will definitely try to stay more mid-ship when we can.

Sounds like a great trip. I love the Wonder. I love walking into the terminal , getting on the ship and have my room open minutes after, so I don't have to lug around my day bag. Perfect castaway day and a discount on champagne? Great CM barista in the Cove? Doesn't get much better than that!

What is the sommelier's bin? Where is it? How have I never heard of this? Please tell me more about this mysterious bin.

What is the sommelier's bin? Where is it? How have I never heard of this? Please tell me more about this mysterious bin.

I took a photo of the description. From the bar menu in Promenade Lounge on the Wonder.

47054691242_cbd6556421_b.jpg

Thanks for posting the info. I was missing out on a $600 voucher for taking the next flight. :( They started boarding then realized they needed volunteers and stopped. No one in the terminal took it, so they came on board and asked. I was OUT OF THE PLANE when a couple of people in the terminal took it. My fellow fliers on the plane were indignant on my behalf and said “She should get at least $300 since she had her bag off and everything!” I suspect I will get a drink if that. :( Seems like in this case once they go to the plane, the terminal people should lose their chance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter