Just purchased direct Aulani, should we add for Disneyland?

Well, VGC is not altogether impossible to book at 7 months. Studios at vgc are impossible to book at 7 months. 1 and 2 bedrooms have some availability. I have booked them several times without a problem at 7 months — during holiday and break periods. Peak times are problematic, but it isn’t as apocalyptic as people make it seem. You will be able to stay there sometimes at 7 months provided you are willing to log in at 7 months and check the site frequently (if you aren’t that type of person then you should probably own there to stay there) — studios are more of an issue.

You should be able to easily get 300 points at around 80-85$ a point at Aulani resale if you look around. You’d lose the ability to go to Riviera and the other blue card benefits, but they aren’t worth $25000. If you want to cruise then you can sell your yearly points. You could also buy Saratoga for 90-100 and spend $30000 for 300 points and save on dues. Aulani has expensive dues. Aulani has a cheap resale price and is owning is advantageous if you are trying to book some peak times holiday times/stay in cheaper point accommodations to stretch your points like standard units or one of the few hotel rooms. Personally, I’d rescind and buy resale at vgc if I wanted studios there or didn’t want to put the work in to find availability, but it will cost you (170-200 a point so it will probably be more than the Aulani deal you did considering the current promos there). Otherwise i would look at Saratoga resale.

Last edited:
If he can still cancel the Aulani sale, by all means cancel it. After that, he can spend some time doing the math on his purchase planning. Buying DVC for taking a cruise costs more than paying cash for the cruise.

The most economical reason (and to me the only reason) to buy DVC is to stay in a DVC property. Once you do anything other than that, you are spending more money than if you just paid cash for whatever it is that you are doing.

If he wants to stay in California more often than anywhere else, he needs to buy there. I am not sure if he wants to wait to see if the tower at DLH gets added, but that would give him plenty of time to really look at the money and how he vacations and if it's worth the costs. If he is totally set on buying a timeshare there right now, there are always resales available for VGC, but you need to be quick. Just google resales for Disney's Villas at Grand Californian and all the regular brokers will come up. Sounds like he'd want at least 300 points and those resale contracts are less expensive and stick around longer on the market than smaller contracts. It will be easy to purchase that way.

I used to own VGC and sold it because I wanted to vacation elsewhere and I don't plan my Disneyland stays that far out in advance. I also take Disney cruises and it is cheaper to pay for the cruise directly (or book through Costco where I get a gift card back) than to use my DVC points. There also aren't any fees/issues with cancelling a cash cruise within the normal cancellation window. Once you earmark your DVC points for a cruise and book the cruise, if you need to cancel the cruise, you don't get the points back for use at a DVC resort. You can only use for a cruise or a Hotel stay. Using DVC points for a Hotel stay is a horrible loss of money.

EDIT: after rereading OP, I realize that you hadn't already purchased Riviera

San Diego DVC owner checking in. Agreeing with comments already made in this thread: Don't buy Aulani with plans to book DVC at Disneyland. You will be often frustrated and disappointed.

Questions to consider, even if you might purchase DVC at the Grand Cal:
  • How far in advance do you book and plan your Disneyland visits? If you aren't booking more than 7 months in advance, owning Grand Cal won't be helpful. You must intend to book in the "home resort advantage window" from 7 to 11 months in advance!
  • Where do you currently stay when visiting DLR? If you are OK with nearby, off-site accommodations now ... you might want to just keep up that pattern.
  • Would you consider nearby, off-site timeshare from other brands? We own and enjoy Worldmark the Club for its many destinations across the western states. It offers two locations w/in walking distance of DLR and we book these several times every year.

FWIW, even if you really wanted Aulani, a 250 point resale contract could be had for about $100-105 pp. I don't know what the current incentives are, but I'm sure they're not worth $80 per point.

Just bought Aulani direct (have our reasons), and I estimate we paid about a 10K premium vs. resale, after incentives.

and, got points loaded/banked in minutes for 2018 DEC UY on 11/30/19

Definitely rescind, do research and buy VGC resale.
I know you said your dad wanted to use points to cruise and for RCI, but I'm assuming that he also doesn't know how poor of a value that is. The DVC salespeople aren't going to tell potential buyers that.

You also said that your dad wants to leave DVC to your son. Aulani dues are on the higher end of the spectrum at $7.86/point. Your son would need to be able to spend $2,300 (and rising) each year just for maintenance for 300 points.

OK, deep breath...

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread and offering advice.

So, I want to add to start that this wasn't exactly an impulse buy on the cruise. It is something we have looked into for over 5 years and have considered purchasing several times. HOWEVER, I believe part of the problem is listening more to the salespeople than talking to members because what I am learning, from this thread particularly, is even though they tell you you can stay at any Disney resort anytime, that's not the case. So, yes, we probably needed to do more research, but we didn't necessarily get caught up in buying it on our cruise.

So I spoke with my Dad about it today. He wasn't aware I was on here trying to figure it all out, he thought it was all good to go. He honestly is frustrated now and is leaving it up to me to decide how to proceed. We still have time to back out. I am frustrated as well (and even couldn't sleep last night) because I don't want him buying something that we won't be able to utilize. So I am going to give you a run down on a few questions some folks have asked...

We travel as basically a family of 4. Me, my husband, my 10 year old son and my Dad. My mom recently unexpectedly passed away and my dad is a bit lost. He wants to continue to travel with us and also possibly alone for a least 5 more years. He loves Disney Cruises. We have been on 4 now and are planning another in the next 1-2 years. We also love Disneyland. We go out there anywhere from 1-3 times per year, staying off property. Sometimes it's only a few months out that we book, or we have planned it out further too. We usually go off season. Sept, Jan, Feb are all times we like to go. We would love to stay at VGC occasionally, in probably a 1 or 2 bedroom villa. Not every trip but would love the option. WDW is fun every few years too but we'd honestly rather go to DL and have a short flight, that's why our salesperson steered us away from Riviera.

I know that DCL is not a good way to spend points, but the way he was looking at it (and the way it was presented) is if he could offsite money he was spending anyway on cabin, then it wasn't just going to waste and he would have something to show for the next 42 years. He was thinking something like points for the first person and cash for the second. This would be something he wanted to do once every year to 2 years, depending.

Lastly, I do have a brother that it would ultimately be splitting this with down the road. Again, not the best use of points, but he was super interested in the RCI exchange as he is not a Disney fan.

So with all these factors he wanted enough points to at least do something with every 1-2 years and then possibly rent out if any leftover. He is worried about the booking restrictions of buying resale and not being a direct member. He is super interested in things like Moonlight Madness and other members only events they only the blue card gets. So that's why resale scares him away. He also feels like he got a decent price. The contract was discounted $11,500 for 300 points. I don't actually have the actual grand total but I think the points were in the $150's pp after discount.

So here are my next set of questions:
Should we still buy some points direct on this Aulani contract? Then buy more at resale? And where would we buy?
What are the restrictions for resale contracts? He can still use points for cruises, right?
I know not confirmed, but another option is just waiting a few years for something else to come to DL?

I'm sorry for being needy and having so many questions as I try and sort this. I truly appreciate everyone who is willing to help and contribute to this thread. I don't have anyone else to talk this through who knows as much as the folks here and now I feel pressured to make the right decision for the family. So again, thank you for helping our family in this endeavor.

We want to still be members and still want to be as excited as we were the day we signed up but we also want to do what is best for where we want to stay and be able to utilize it fully for the next 40-50 years as a whole family! :)

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but VGC resale is about $200 per point, which is Yikes! We also live on the west coast and recently bought at Aulani. We are hoping to trade points/reservations to stay at VGC occasionally, and have our fingers crossed the new DVC property will go through and won’t be prohibitively expensive. We bought Aulani at 170 points which gives us wiggle room for future purchase. Something to consider if you can still back out.

You might consider buying 150 points direct so you can get the current discount. Then look at a couple hundred resale. There is one company that has Aulani resale consistently cheaper. The rest of the properties are roughly the same at most of the resellers. I think some of the resellers artificially raise Aulani prices in their listings — greater than $100 a point. Aulani is never hit with right of first refusal from Disney. You can find Aulani resales consistently between 80-90 a point (or cheaper) if you look and lowball offer — often loaded with banked points and sometimes with subsidized dues.

Resale can’t be used on cruises, but you can sell/rent points and use that for cruises. You can’t use resale for Riviera or any new properties to come. The problem with the new dl property will be it will likely have the same resale restrictions as Riviera (it’ll probably hold value much better due to limited California options).

I know that DCL is not a good way to spend points, but the way he was looking at it (and the way it was presented) is if he could offsite money he was spending anyway on cabin, then it wasn't just going to waste and he would have something to show for the next 42 years. He was thinking something like points for the first person and cash for the second. This would be something he wanted to do once every year to 2 years, depending.
You'll find Points Charts for DCL here> https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts/disney-collection/

If you pick one cruise, determine the number of points required for your preferred stateroom category and then run the numbers ... I think you'll find that you can likely book the cruise on cash for close to or less than the cost of using DVC points. Thus, one strategy is to purchase fewer points and book the cruises on cash.

So here are my next set of questions:
Should we still buy some points direct on this Aulani contract? Then buy more at resale? And where would we buy?

The thing that bothered me most about your post and purchase is that you don't seem to be overly in love with staying at Aulani continually. Are you wanting to stay at Aulani year after year? If the answer is no, then you should never buy at Aulani and certainly not for cruises! The maintenance fees for Aulani are high so if you use the points for cruising, you'd be paying EVEN more!

The only reason I think anyone should buy at Aulani is because they love and want to stay at Aulani annually or every 2 years in a standard or garden view room. I cannot see many reasons to buy Aulani direct from Disney at all: the direct price is so inflated compared to the resale price and although you get direct perks at WDW, you really need to be using your Aulani points at Aulani predominantly and the perks there are pretty minimal. Compared with resale (even with your discounts from Disney) you are paying approx $50 per point more. $15,000 more for the same contract on 300 points.

It sounds like you would like to stay at the Grand Californian so look at a how often you would like to stay there, estimate how many points you would need from the points chart, and then begin to search for a resale contract at VGC resale. I noted you said you often stay offsite at Disneyland. Staying offsite will be cheaper than buying DVC at the Grand Californian always.

What are the restrictions for resale contracts? He can still use points for cruises, right?

Resale contracts can be used at the 14 existing DVC resorts (i.e. not Riviera or Reflections in 2022). You cannot use resale points to book Disney hotel rooms (i.e. Disneyland Hotel) and they cannot be used on cruises. It will always be cheaper to pay for a cruise with cash. If you use points, you'll be paying more than the cruise is worth! Most resale members are fine with these restrictions as they are a poor use of points. I am a direct member and have been on 9 cruises in the last 5 years, I would never ever consider using my points for a cruise.

I know not confirmed, but another option is just waiting a few years for something else to come to DL?

Yes, the Disneyland Hotel DVC has been proposed to the Anaheim council. It may or may not be developed but I think it's probably likely to be approved. I think it makes sense waiting for this. If you want to be at Disneyland, want to buy direct for the blue card and access to future DVC resorts then I would wait for this property and buy a smaller contract here.

We also love Disneyland. We go out there anywhere from 1-3 times per year, staying off property. Sometimes it's only a few months out that we book, or we have planned it out further too. We usually go off season. Sept, Jan, Feb are all times we like to go. We would love to stay at VGC occasionally, in probably a 1 or 2 bedroom villa. Not every trip but would love the option. WDW is fun every few years too but we'd honestly rather go to DL and have a short flight, that's why our salesperson steered us away from Riviera.

DVC works best if you can plan 7-11 months out. This is particularly pertinent to owners at Grand Californian. There is likely to be little availability for DVC units if you plan to visit a few months out like you mentioned.

I completely understand the appeal of DVC and what it promises but reading your posts on this thread, I am not sure if DVC is even a good fit for your family at this time as you won't get what you really want out of it. You really need DVC to fit your style of vacations; not try and force your vacations to fit the DVC system. DVC sounds like it will give you less flexibility than what you have paying out of pocket already. :worried:

Last edited:
Have you visited Aulani? It’s magic. We are west coast and own 600 pts there and have no regrets. That said, we also want to go to VGC and had some luck for a couple years with bigger rooms but that all stopped over a year ago. We bought resale there who’s year. We also own VGF and our VGC points were the most expensive. They are so expensive that we will never use them outside of VGC.

I was at Aulani last week. 80 degrees, and after staying at another incredible island resort, it still felt like a new paradise. We go every year now thanks to our contract.

Folks are quick to give opinions, especially financial. One size does not fit all. Just ask about the dining plan! We all value things differently, convenience, space, flexibility etc. It’s sad that your dad is bummed now and you guys are feeling stress and I’m sorry to hear it. What a wonderful gift to give his family!

If you want to own direct and have all the options Aulani is a good buy without resale restrictions. Perhaps buy 150 direct and 150 resale (same UY) so that you and your brother will have separate contracts to inherit, easier resale if needed, and a cheaper buy in. Or 150 Aulani direct and 150 VGC Resale and do every other year at one by banking/borrowing.

Enjoy your DVC in good health!

We own three contracts (2 direct and one resale) at Aulani and we live in Alaska. Aulani is beautiful and far nicer than some of the DVC resorts in Florida. We have previously owned Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Buying direct also allows you to book a hotel room at theDisneyland hotels (all 3) using points. Which Is what we do when we go to Disneyland. DVC prices are going up in January- so keep that in mind too.

we also love the Disney cruises, we have been on six. Best of luck on deciding your next steps- I personally would keep the direct contract at Aulani.

If you have any doubt, cancel now. You can buy later the same contract if it's the right fit for you.
At least, I would split it in 2 150 contracts, so your father can give one each to you and your brother. There would be an additional cost for the extra closing, but that would be more than balanced by the fact that 150 points contracts are easier to sell than one for 300.

Last edited:
OK, deep breath...

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread and offering advice.

So, I want to add to start that this wasn't exactly an impulse buy on the cruise. It is something we have looked into for over 5 years and have considered purchasing several times. HOWEVER, I believe part of the problem is listening more to the salespeople than talking to members because what I am learning, from this thread particularly, is even though they tell you you can stay at any Disney resort anytime, that's not the case. So, yes, we probably needed to do more research, but we didn't necessarily get caught up in buying it on our cruise.
If you are still within your rescinding period, I would back out immediately. Then come back and get your answers and develop a strategy. I don't think anyone here is telling you not to buy DVC, but this is a major decision. Give yourself time to understand the product. Don't worry. Aulani isnt going to sell out. They've been trying to sell that product for the better part of a decade now and their not even close to selling out.

We just did something similar to this. We figure we want to go to Aulani every 3 years or so in a two bedroom, so we just passed ROFR on a 160 point Aulani contract. We noticed that when we would want to travel in June it can be a little tougher to get what we want at the 7 month mark there. We also want to visit Disneyland more frequently so we just closed on VGC contract. Also 160 points. We will probably visit DL for more frequent short trips. Since we knew how tough it was to get VGC at the 7 month mark with our other points we just got both. We only have one direct contract for 100 points, because we like the blue card benefits.

The inheritance issue is a good mention, by the way. Contracts can never be split. For both you and your brother to inheit a 300 point contract, you'd both be on the deed and have to work out dues and point usage annually. You'd be far better off with 2 contracts of 150 each with entirely separate accounts and dues statements.

Thank you all for your replies! All very insightful and helping me soooo much! I feel grateful to have you all being so kind and talking this through with me.

I do want to add a few things to the mix. I looked at the points charts (thanks for sending me the link bwvBound!) With 300 points we could spend 3-4 nights every year (choice or adventure) at both VGC and Aulani in a 1 bedroom. (Now this may not sound like it's enough at each resort but the caveat is we only usually spend 4 nights max at DL per trip and we may only spend 3-4 nights at Aulani because we don't love Oahu and would only go to that island for Aulani, which we definitely want to visit one day and possibly regularly from what I've heard. I actually manage vacation rental condos on the island of Kauai and we visit there yearly, so we thought we could fly to Oahu for Aulani for a few days then proceed to Kauai on the short island hopper flight.

So I have come up with roughly 5 option ideas (that can be adjusted) that we have at this point. Let me know if you have any thoughts:

1- Proceed 100% as planned. 300 direct points at Aulani, approx $45,000 after discounts (I don't actually have the paperwork, its at my Dad's house but somewhere in that range)

2- Cancel Completely and vacation with cash

3- Buy 150 direct Aulani, buy around 150 resale VGC, for roughly $50,000-$55,000 total after Aulani discounts

4- Buy 100 min needed direct Aulani, buy around 50 more Aulani resale (to get back to 150 at Aulani), 150 VGC resale, for roughly $53,500

(reason for sticking around 300 points total is we could split it up with my brother easily, 150 each, as suggested by others above and also be able to do have enough to do a couple trips that I mentioned above)

5- Wait a few years and hope to buy complete contract at new DL DVC property

5- Wait a few years and hope to buy complete contract at new DL DVC property
I just wanted to note that this is a really large IF the property opens. It is something that is more than 3+ years out and doesn't have government approval yet (actually it requires a Anaheim code change, which is a bigger hurdle). Also note the new DL DVC property isn't likely to be cheaper than VGC is right now at resale (except maybe some incentives, a larger VGC is possible in the 190-200 range to clear ROFR) and will probably have a higher point chart than VGC, if DVC's prior behavior is to be extrapolated.

Mind you VGC and this new hotel will be dramatically different in taste and style. VGC is more akin to owning at CCV/BRV/WL in terms of room views and style of resort and is the closest you'll ever get at DLR to being in the Disney Bubble at your room/resort and access to the parks. The new hotel will be less Disney bubble as most of the rooms will see Anaheim or roads (something VGC doesn't see) with some (maybe half) seeing the parks but also Anaheim. I would also say the new hotel will be more akin in taste and style to that of BLT (if they try to match DLH styling, which I guess they would).

If you are really set on the new hotel then I would suggest waiting a bit into the new year to see if any news is released to gauge the likelihood. If you don't think you'll like the style/taste of the resort or its location against VGC I would suggest to buy where you would be happier owning. I don't think VGC will be much more (if any) bought currently than the future price of the new tower.
1- Proceed 100% as planned. 300 direct points at Aulani, approx $45,000 after discounts (I don't actually have the paperwork, its at my Dad's house but somewhere in that range)

2- Cancel Completely and vacation with cash

3- Buy 150 direct Aulani, buy around 150 resale VGC, for roughly $50,000-$55,000 total after Aulani discounts

4- Buy 100 min needed direct Aulani, buy around 50 more Aulani resale (to get back to 150 at Aulani), 150 VGC resale, for roughly $53,500
Is there still a reason to buy direct at all? Is it simply for the DCL trades or the FOMO of missing out on new resorts? As for any Membership Extras those are pretty negligible if you are traveling exclusively to DLR or Aulani. If you travel to WDW consistently (1-2 times a year) then it can start to make sense with the AP discounts.

I only ask because if you buy all resale at Aulani (which runs 80-100 a point) vs direct you could save even more money. It's also possible to scope out a subsidized contract which will save about $2 a point currently on your Annual Dues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter