Just put my BLT Contracts up for sale (mixed emotions)

huskerfanatic7

Mouseketeer
I loved DVC and being a member. I'm still planning on renting occasionally and staying at moderates when I go. Honestly I wish I didn't have to sell but it just makes too much sense financially. With the Dues that have been going up at an alarming rate and it seems no end in sight with the wage increases. And also the increasing restrictions Disney keeps placing on members.I figured I can usually stay by renting dvc at my yearly trip and it would be cheaper than what my annual dues are right now. So with that I say adieu and wish you all many magical vacations in the future

Last edited:
Are you sure you couldn't swing it by renting out YOUR points every other year, and then using the proceeds for your trips?? You can get 13-14$ per point for BLT points.

Of course, BLT is a very strong seller -- you will be very happy with your proceeds. I just sold a contract for 150$pp. Ka ching!

Are you talking about with the proceeds from your contract sale? I'm not understanding how it would be cheaper.

The cost it would be for me to rent next year is less than what I would pay on my annual dues for 2020. It is a small difference but dues will keep increasing probably looking at another 8-10% increase the next couple years

I'm not saying that you shouldn't sell but I'm really not certain where you're numbers are coming from? Most rental rates are in the $15-$18/pt range depending on if you go thru an owner or a broker. There are no dues that approach those amounts, especially BLT. The only way I can see that it's cheaper than the dues you pay is if you own far more points than you use every year.

With the Dues that have been going up at an alarming rate and it seems no end in sight with the wage increases. And also the increasing restrictions Disney keeps placing on members

I own at bay lake and haven’t felt *alarm* at the dues.

And if wages are going up, that’s going to hit ALL resorts in pricing.

And rentals will go up, too, as dues rise.

I figured I can usually stay by renting dvc at my yearly trip and it would be cheaper than what my annual dues are right now.

Are you *sure* of that? With my 160 points I’m currently under a thousand with dues. That won’t get me far even with a moderate. Looking on the Disney site they show moderates *starting* at 205/night. Add in tax and Im looking at a 4 night trip, maybe for the cost of my dues.

I think I will be doing the same shortly. Costs are getting very much higher, not only dues but passes, food .... I think Disney has out priced what you get for your money.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't sell but I'm really not certain where you're numbers are coming from? Most rental rates are in the $15-$18/pt range depending on if you go thru an owner or a broker. There are no dues that approach those amounts, especially BLT. The only way I can see that it's cheaper than the dues you pay is if you own far more points than you use every year.

That's true I have too many points (185) and I know I could rent them but I guess my decision isn't based just on yearly cost. My fear also stems on dvc placing more and more restrictions and the resale price will drop and won't be able to recoup what I paid. So ill just take my 24-25 grand now and invest it and either rent dvc or stay at value/moderates when I go. It really is the uncertainty of what dvc is doing that lead me to sell

Yep. DVC either doesn't realize what they are doing to their brand or doesn't care. My guess is the latter. Sounds like you are thinking it through.

That's true I have too many points (185) and I know I could rent them but I guess my decision isn't based just on yearly cost. My fear also stems on dvc placing more and more restrictions and the resale price will drop and won't be able to recoup what I paid. So ill just take my 24-25 grand now and invest it and either rent dvc or stay at value/moderates when I go. It really is the uncertainty of what dvc is doing that lead me to sell

Ah this make much more sense. A big factor in DVC is do you only want to stay at deluxes. If the answer is no then DVC probably isn't going to give you as much value as it would others. DVC in some ways is like the DDP. To get the savings/value you have to use pretty optimally and if you're not then you have to reevaluate.

Good luck with your sale, if you don't need to sell ASAP I'd price a little higher and see if you get any bites that way. No need to leave money on the table :)

I would argue froze locations but not necessarily deluxe accommodations... No maid service daily, sofa beds instead of real beds.... It's all sort of interesting.

I meant deluxe resorts, not rooms. Also I would say 1 bed and 2 beds are "better" than standard hotel rooms because of the size. And as a couple I'd argue studios are better than standard rooms because of the couch and kitchenette. All in the eye of the beholder.

I also personally don't care about daily maid service. Last time I was at Pop I waived it for the gift card anyway.

I own at bay lake and haven’t felt *alarm* at the dues.

And if wages are going up, that’s going to hit ALL resorts in pricing.

And rentals will go up, too, as dues rise.
When I first bought DVC several years ago rental prices were around $9-12 per point, they have certainly gone up in the years since and will continue to go up going forward if Disney raises room costs and as dues go up owners will likewise raise their price for rentals.
OP I see you bought your 160 resale in 2017, followed by 25 direct, depending on how loaded/stripped your contracts are you’ll probably break even after you subtract your sales commission. I am curious about your thought that you’ll invest your proceeds and pay for your vacations that way as when I bought I’d thought about that approach and ran the numbers and realized that investing the funds instead would not yield enough to pay for the room. What yield do you anticipate getting from your investments?
One thing that I did note during the last recession was that Disney continued to increase room prices in the neighborhood of 10% per year and then offered more aggressive discounts.
If after 2 years you’ve concluded that ownership is a bad fit for you then getting out while you can break even or w/ even a bit of a profit makes sense, I’m not sure about the math which leads you to conclude you’ll be able to pay the same or less than your DVC MFs for your lodging at WDW going forward given Disney’s and the rental market’s increasing costs as well.

When I first bought DVC several years ago rental prices were around $9-12 per point, they have certainly gone up in the years since and will continue to go up going forward if Disney raises room costs and as dues go up owners will likewise raise their price for rentals.
OP I see you bought your 160 resale in 2017, followed by 25 direct, depending on how loaded/stripped your contracts are you’ll probably break even after you subtract your sales commission. I am curious about your thought that you’ll invest your proceeds and pay for your vacations that way as when I bought I’d thought about that approach and ran the numbers and realized that investing the funds instead would not yield enough to pay for the room. What yield do you anticipate getting from your investments?
One thing that I did note during the last recession was that Disney continued to increase room prices in the neighborhood of 10% per year and then offered more aggressive discounts.
If after 2 years you’ve concluded that ownership is a bad fit for you then getting out while you can break even or w/ even a bit of a profit makes sense, I’m not sure about the math which leads you to conclude you’ll be able to pay the same or less than your DVC MFs for your lodging at WDW going forward given Disney’s and the rental market’s increasing costs as well.
I believe those were two separate thoughts - the investing & pay as you go. At least that’s how I read it.

I meant deluxe resorts, not rooms. Also I would say 1 bed and 2 beds are "better" than standard hotel rooms because of the size. And as a couple I'd argue studios are better than standard rooms because of the couch and kitchenette. All in the eye of the beholder.

I also personally don't care about daily maid service. Last time I was at Pop I waived it for the gift card anyway.

2 bedrooms are why we have a contract in ROFR. As I did the research I was stunned that studios are the real premium club-wide

Discounts keep decreasing hotel side and I wouldn't count on rental prices staying low. I fully expect member and brokers to start pushing rentals to $20 per point. It is still a "good deal". They will get it.

It's mentioned that you have a 25 point direct contract. I don't know how long your normal stays are but would it make sense to keep that and you could using banking or borrowing to have 50-75 points every other year and stay at DVC resorts every other year or whatever way you could make it work AND time your stays so the Gold AP might be of value to purchase? ie - time your trips so they are less than 12 months apart and get the AP every other year which could be used for 2 trips?

I am very close to following you out the door. However, I am willing to stick around for little longer to see how things eventually shake out as I have read on other threads debating on legality of some recent restrictions. Plus, with the latest restrictions still fresh on many people's mind, I won't be surprised if resale value has taken a hit (at least temporarily). Good luck with your sale and I might even join you as an ex-DVC owner in the not too distant future.

LAX

Ah this make much more sense. A big factor in DVC is do you only want to stay at deluxes. If the answer is no then DVC probably isn't going to give you as much value as it would others. DVC in some ways is like the DDP. To get the savings/value you have to use pretty optimally and if you're not then you have to reevaluate.

Good luck with your sale, if you don't need to sell ASAP I'd price a little higher and see if you get any bites that way. No need to leave money on the table :)
It's mentioned that you have a 25 point direct contract. I don't know how long your normal stays are but would it make sense to keep that and you could using banking or borrowing to have 50-75 points every other year and stay at DVC resorts every other year or whatever way you could make it work AND time your stays so the Gold AP might be of value to purchase? ie - time your trips so they are less than 12 months apart and get the AP every other year which could be used for 2 trips?

That is a very good point. Actually I believe i'm going to do that and keep the 25 point contract. I can atleast have a 2-3 nights at BLT every other year and do a split stay. Thanks for your input

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts