Just Remember to Beer Me at Mile 25 When I Do the Full Marathon - Jan 16 TR UPDATE 4/24 Pg. 8

OMG!! I actually made an appearance in Danielle's TR!!!! That's me. Right there. #7. Woohoo! :banana:(Okay, if I had known I was going to be famous for my non-performance that week, I might have actually moved my lazy rear.:rotfl:)

:cheer2:Great job on your half, Danielle! RunDisney looks like so much fun. Maybe I'll make it there one of these days. Can't wait to read more about the trip and your MANY upcoming races. popcorn::

Congrats on the race!! The Disney medals are amazing! I'm running my first full marathon this weekend! EEk! Wish it was in Dinsey!!!

That's such a great accomplishment. You should be proud. Wow you have a lot of trips to Disney coming up. I'm assuming you aren't only running but having a little Mickey time too. :rolleyes:

"I WON!!!!! Against My Fitbit Friends At Least......"

Let no person mistake it. Getting up for a race at 3am is not easy.

I didn't sleep really, which is par for the course. I don't think that Caitlin slept very well either. It's an anxious feeling. It's not nervousness, it's just anxiety. Nervous about oversleeping and having to rush, anxious about the race. We had crawled into bed at 9pm and were up before the alarm went off at 3am.

That was absolutely me. All night long I think.

Welp, that race wasn't going to run itself, so I suppose it was time to get up.

But first, stretching, which is an important component. I would stretch more when we got to our corral, but I wanted to get some time in. Caitlin stretched too.

And jumped around like the energizer bunny that she is.

We headed out of the room at about 3:30am. The last pickup was at 4am, so we were on the monorail at 3:40am. We should have walked to the TTC from the Poly, but I didn't think about it that early in the morning.

The monorail ride wasn't too crowded and we definitely didn't have to wait long.

In case anyone ever wanted to know what it looks like when you arrive.

Ha! Totally boring picture right? Ok, they do play music and they normally have an announcer up on the stage trying to keep people energized.

For those who haven't run a RunDisney event, I'll let you know things along the way. First here, you get to the race but you don't line up for it right away. This is kind of a mingling area if you will. Gear check is also there, in case you decide to bring anything along. I did gear check for the Princess and decided I wouldn't do it again. I have everything I need on my person, and have my Mom bring anything I might need after. If the P's weren't there, I would just head back to the room for anything I would need.

Cutting out gear check is a good way to save time and hassle. I recommend not using it unless absolutely necessary.

Onward! We hung out and had some pictures taken. Yes, I know my shirt has glitter on it, and I'm a non-glitter person. It was the only thing I could find when I needed it.

After about 30 minutes, they announced that it would be time to start heading to the corrals.

Another thing to note. The corrals are not close. You have to go on a fairly lengthy walk to get to your corrals. Typically, before the race has even started, I clock about two miles of walking. So, you get a good warmup ahead of time!

Once we made it to our corral, we took some pre-race selfies.

For the races, you're assigned a corral. You can get assigned a corral either by submitting proof of time, or winging it getting placed in one of the last five. The corrals up near the front are assigned by proving you can run a race in a certain amount of time. So those who can run a half marathon in an hour and a half are up front, then they do more corrals by about 15 minute intervals.

My proof of time put me in corral J. Caitlin didn't submit proof of time, so she was in K. RunDisney will not allow you to move up corrals, but you can move back. So I moved back to start in K. The last corral for the Donald half is corral P.

This is for a lot of reasons. It's best that you end up in corrals with people who are a similar speed as you. Otherwise, if you're in with people that are significantly faster, you can get swallowed up. And, it's an annoyance for them, because there's a big difference.

Once in the corrals, we took the time to stretch again. Better to use your time wisely.

Finally, the race started at 5:30am. First they send the wheelchair participants, and then the elite corral. That corral obviously will always hold the winner. They're insanely fast!

Once the proverbial gun went off, Caitlin and I downed our caffeinated sports beans. They take about 30 minutes to start working, so it was good that we took it then.

Little by little, the other corrals went, and we got closer.

And we were off! My initial goal for this race was to finish sooner than I had finished Princess. I've said before that I'm not a fast runner, but I was hoping to come in even a little before I did the last time.

Caitlin had said she was going to stick with me the entire time, so we could stay on track. I had a nagging pain behind my knee from a long run prior, so I was hoping I would be all good.

I don't have many pictures, because I'm the kind of person who focuses more on the run itself. I want to do better with that on upcoming races.

To give you an idea, here is a picture from the Princess Half. You get the lovely chance to run through the Magic Kingdom gate! Where the cars would normally be. :)

At this point, you're almost at mile 4. And at this moment, someone to the left of Caitlin and I said "we're halfway!"

Unless a half marathon became 8 miles, you are definitely not halfway my dear. I'm curious if she was trying to encourage her running partner, but at this point, Caitlin and I looked at each other like.....

We kept up with our pace until............the castle.

When you run into the Magic Kingdom, you run down Main Street towards the castle, and then take the right by Tomorrowland. The you run through Fantasyland and come back through the castle.

And that is where everything came to a dead stand still. It felt like we stood there forever! Although in reality, I think it took us about 3-5 minutes to move through the castle. At a snails pace.

FINALLY. We made it out. And had lost some time off of our pace. I wasn't worrying about it. Soon we were out of the Magic Kingdom and on the back service road. We would be coming up on mile 7 soon, which was by the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian. Our parents would be waiting there to cheer us on.

BUT FIRST...I had to potty.

Which wasted like 8 minutes! I learned from this for the Dark Side and opted for no potty stops. Because normally it's your bladder being nervous and you THINK you have to go, but you don't.

8 minutes and a porta potty visit later, I realized this.

Oh well. What can you do.

And at this point, I'm introducing you to the best series of pictures my Mom has even taken.

Just wait for it.

Hahahahahahaha. Still cracks me up. I like to be dramatic when I know there is a camera around.

After mile 8, the back of my knee was bothering me. We stopped by a medical station so I could use some biofreeze. It helped, but the pain was still there.

At that point, Caitlin urged me to just walk. We were more than halfway done, and we knew that there were a ton of uphill parts we would be contending with. So walking it was.

My walk isn't too slow, since I'm long legged, so that's a plus. But it was definitely not what I had wanted.

Getting closer and closer, we did see a Green Army man, so of course we had to get a shot with him.

My leg was still nagging me, but I kept on keeping on. There's nothing else you could do at this point.

The finish line was coming. And we HAULED!

Yay! We finished! And I was the proud owner of a new medal.

All in all, this race had it's ups and downs. I didn't finish faster than I finished the Princess, and I was a little upset about that. It's because I'm too competitive. But I did what most people can't and that's finish a half marathon. And just finished my third this last weekend.

RunDisney events are exhilarating! They're a great way to get yourself into running half marathons, because there are a ton of first timers out there. They're more relaxed than other races, which is a plus. You feel a little less pressure that way.

I was so grateful to have Caitlin with me! I wasn't anticipating she would stay with me, and she definitely didn't have to.

In case anyone is wondering, here are the races I have planned coming up:

November 2016 - Avengers Half Marathon (Infinity Gauntlet Challenge) in Disneyland. I'll be doing the 10k and the half.
January 2017 - Donald Half Marathon (20th Anniversary!!) in WDW.
April 2017 - Dark Side Half Marathon (Challenge) in WDW. I'll be doing the 10k and the half.
January 2018 - Mickey Full Marathon in WDW. Get scared with me folks.

Oh, and I totally won at Fitbit today.

Up next: Pop always finds girlfriends everywhere.

I thought the pictures turned out great too.

Congratulations on finishing - I know you wanted to do better than the last time but considering you had the pain in your knee I think that is quite the accomplishment to push through that and finish.

I loved the pictures your mom took - moving from super excited Caitlin to you looking, well, less excited ;)

That is a lot of steps! Just imagine after the full marathon!

Congrats Danielle way to tough it out and finish strong! I think your mom should get a job at WDW as a photopass photographer! See took some really nice pictures. Looking forward to what lies ahead.

I came over to play catch-up and now I can congratulate you on finishing the race! Your Mom did a fantastic job on the pictures and I was totally laughing like crazy at them. Great job!

Well, I think the Top of the World is the bar/member perk room for DVC members at the top of BLT where you can go and watch the MK fireworks. Clinta is actually at the top of the Contemporary..........the bar in California Grill. :thumbsup2

I re read what I wrote and basically -------- Yup He is right....:rolleyes1 and what I meant....:sad2:

Hahahahahahaha. Still cracks me up. I like to be dramatic when I know there is a camera around.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Something I would do----and did---- it wasn't appreciated.... :blush:

I'm a lurker but love reading your TR's. Fun to hear a blow by blow of how the run went. I'm a daily walker but think I'm too old to try running :crutches:It must be a good feeling when you finish - hope you enjoyed the rest of your day!

Let no person mistake it. Getting up for a race at 3am is not easy.
Yeah, that sounds like my nightmare. I don't even like to get up at 3am to go to Disney. I really like sleep. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: Great photo series!

DSC_0356.jpg
I love this! So much pride! Congrats!

Oh, and I totally won at Fitbit today.

:thumbsup2 Not bad.

Well, I think the Top of the World is the bar/member perk room for DVC members at the top of BLT where you can go and watch the MK fireworks. Clinta is actually at the top of the Contemporary..........the bar in California Grill. :thumbsup2

Aha.....I totally thought Clinta was a server. Hahahahaha!

So excited to read another of your TRs! Seriously, you should do YouTube Disney inspired make-up tutorials. Yeah, I know, just one more item to add to your busy schedule, but you do such an amazing job! Can't wait to read the rest of your TR.

Awww thank you so much! I've thought about tutorials before, just haven't put the time into it. It's definitely something that is very time consuming from what I've seen with other bloggers that do it.

Yay! Congrats on the finish!

This was my first half marathon I submitted my 10k time from marathon weekend 2015 and that got me in corral H.

The half is so much different than the 10k and not just in length but the setup up and everything. I don't seem to go into Disney races with a time goal because I know between characters and just running in Disney my time isn't going to be great.

I'm glad you had a good time despite not meeting your goal. I'd love to hear about your Star Wars experience this year as well.

I will be back for the 20th as well in 2017 but that won't be all I'll going dopey or goofy.

Thanks!

That's definitely good corral placement. I feel a lot more relief when I'm in front of a few corrals.

It really is different. I've never done a 10k at Disney, but know a lot of people who have and they say exactly the same thing.

I'll be writing about Star Wars hopefully as well. I'm trying to hammer this report out first. I've been known for writing multiple reports at one time, and I just can't handle that anymore.

Awesome! I registered for the 20th on a whim, but I couldn't resist with it being the 20th anniversary.

Congratulations! You should definitely be proud of that medal! Looks like a fun race. I love those photos your Mom took. Captures a lot of personality! :)
I need to get to those January races!!

Thanks! I am proud of it. Now I'm on a mission to get a rack to put them on! I've procrastinated at that. Haha.

I :lovestruc this update! We were all so excited to see you girls run past the Poly and then again at the finish line! Congratulations (again) my dear! Keep up the hardwork!

:hug: I was glad to have you all there.

Love your Monsters Inc outfits!

Those pictures your mom took are awesome!

I also love the series of pics at the end when you finished the race- Victory!

I really enjoyed reading the ins and outs of running a Disney race. I'm sure you were dissapointed in not getting a faster time but you should be SO proud of yourself regardless! I know I could never do it! Congrats :)

Thanks! We got a lot of compliments on them to.

Leave it to my Mom to capture some good shots of me running through looking all crazy. But that's how I roll. :laughing:

That's great the monorail was running that early in the morning! much easier then a bus!

I love your costumes! Mike and Sully is a great idea for two friends to do!

Great job with the race. It sounds like a lot of fun. I bet it's amazing to be able to run through the castle that early in the morning!

It was the only transportation option they gave to the monorail resorts. Made sense, I just had a bus in my mind. LOL.

It was all Caitlin's idea! I think we're both Iron Man for Avengers.....

The races are a lot of fun, and it's tons of fun to be able to run through the park early. The Magic Kingdom is an entire ChEAR squad section, so people who pay to observe are there to cheer you on. Which is always a nice motivator.

I love that series of photos your mom took! And I laughed at the person who thought they were halfway at mile 4. I hope they weren't too disappointed when they got to mile 8 and had to keep going :) Though doing math on runner brain is hard. I did a half with a friend in March and I was encouraging her and when we got to mile 10, I said only 5 miles left to go! She gave me a horrified look and I quickly corrected it to 5k.

I was surprised she took them on continuous, but it totally makes sense. Hahaha.

We were shocked at the mile 4 comment! I was like "ok either you haven't been keeping track of the distance, made a simple error, or grievously underestimated the distance of a half marathon. I agree though, runner brain can be interesting. LOL.

OMG!! I actually made an appearance in Danielle's TR!!!! That's me. Right there. #7. Woohoo! :banana:(Okay, if I had known I was going to be famous for my non-performance that week, I might have actually moved my lazy rear.:rotfl:)

:cheer2:Great job on your half, Danielle! RunDisney looks like so much fun. Maybe I'll make it there one of these days. Can't wait to read more about the trip and your MANY upcoming races. popcorn::

Woo hoo! Hahahaha! You neve know when you might pop up in a Danielle TR! I don't have my fitbit anymore since my parents got me an apple watch, so it's weird not being able to see everyone now.

Congrats! Another medal for your growing collection. :)

Jill in CO

Yup! And I'm happy to keep growing it.

Congrats on the race!! The Disney medals are amazing! I'm running my first full marathon this weekend! EEk! Wish it was in Dinsey!!!

Good luck!!!! I'm so not ready for a full marathon and it's almost two years away. Hahahahaha.

Congrats on your race, that's amazing :)

Thanks so much!

That's such a great accomplishment. You should be proud. Wow you have a lot of trips to Disney coming up. I'm assuming you aren't only running but having a little Mickey time too. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much. I am proud. When I get down on myself for not training quite hard enough, I just remind myself that this is still something that the general population can't do.

Nope, we are definitely having some Mickey time with each trip!

I thought the pictures turned out great too.

They did, you did a great job!

you did awesome. So very proud of you .

Thanks Momma. :hug:

Congratulations on finishing - I know you wanted to do better than the last time but considering you had the pain in your knee I think that is quite the accomplishment to push through that and finish.

I loved the pictures your mom took - moving from super excited Caitlin to you looking, well, less excited ;)

That is a lot of steps! Just imagine after the full marathon!

Thanks Phil! I always have an idea in mind, and I beat myself up a little bit with this race. I'm too much of a perfectionist sometimes.

I loved them too! Caitlin was just jumping around trying to make sure we were seen. I just wanted them to know I wanted it to be over at that point. :rotfl2:

I know right! Each time I've done a half marathon, I've put in up to a full marathon of steps total for the day. I think with the full I'm just going to end up passing the heck out!

Congrats Danielle way to tough it out and finish strong! I think your mom should get a job at WDW as a photopass photographer! See took some really nice pictures. Looking forward to what lies ahead.

Thanks!

She would love that! She loves taking pictures.

I came over to play catch-up and now I can congratulate you on finishing the race! Your Mom did a fantastic job on the pictures and I was totally laughing like crazy at them. Great job!

I know, I got there fairly quickly! Just the side effect of not having really done much prior to the race.

I re read what I wrote and basically -------- Yup He is right....:rolleyes1 and what I meant....:sad2:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Something I would do----and did---- it wasn't appreciated.... :blush:

Hahaha now I know!

Those pictures are hysterical. Everyone around me probably thought I had lost my ever loving mind.

I'm a lurker but love reading your TR's. Fun to hear a blow by blow of how the run went. I'm a daily walker but think I'm too old to try running :crutches:It must be a good feeling when you finish - hope you enjoyed the rest of your day!

:welcome:

I'm glad that you're here!

Daily walking is great! If you keep a good clip, you can walk these too. So many people do!

Yeah, that sounds like my nightmare. I don't even like to get up at 3am to go to Disney. I really like sleep. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: Great photo series!

I love this! So much pride! Congrats!

:thumbsup2 Not bad.

Oh my goodness, so do I! I love sleeping! These are very difficult. I'm a little stressed out about the fact that I'm doing the challenge in November, so I've signed up to wake up this early two days in a row! How insane am I?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter