Just Returned--

mrd7896

Mouseketeer
Prepare for a lengthy post!:chat:

The crazy-ness has settled down and the post-Disney depression has settled in. But I wanted to share my experiences with my most recent trip!

Who: Myself and boyfriend

Where: Disney’s Coronado Springs

When: 11/16-11/21

Our package: We did two day PH and 2 days at Universal (HUGE HP nerds:cutie: )

One note: My boyfriend has never been to Disney/Universal before!!!

A few takeaways from our time at Coronado Springs (new resort for both of us):

- The food is VERY good!! I kept ordering the rice bowl which was delicious while my boyfriend loved the cheesesteaks.

- The resort is huge. We had a preferred room and thank god we did because our first night was in a lower room category (all I could book when I extended my stay) and we had a hike to walk when we finally arrived at night. Definitely try to get a preferred location as it really is much more convenient.

- There are 4 bus stops that go in the order of 2-3-4 and then around to 1. There was never an issue getting on a bus in the morning at the front lobby due to crowds from the other stops however getting around the resort at night when returning from the parks took F-O-R-E-V-E-R. We almost missed our transfer back to the airport even though we allowed a lot of cushion due to how long each bus stop at our own resort took.

- The staff weren’t all on the same page. Often times we would ask one CM a question which we then discovered to have been given the wrong solution just for us to go up to another CM and they tell us something entirely different. It wasn’t too big of a deal but it definitely happened more than once.

- With that being said there as always were some amazing CM’s one man in particular (which unfortunately now that I’m writing this his name escapes me) remembered where my boyfriend and I were travelling from even though we had a brief conversation 4 days prior! On our last day with our luggage in our arms he wished us a save journey back to PA. We were in awe about how he even recognized our faces let alone where we were from!

- The construction wasn’t an issue. Besides the front lobby not being the bus stop and ugly fencing that was aligned in most places.

- Our room didn’t have a microwave? My last two stays have been at AoA and they have had them in our rooms and from previous trips I remember being able to heat things up. That was a slight bummer since we had groceries delivered to our room (before we ever actually saw our room) and bought a few things that needed to be microwaved. There also wasn’t one in the food court. Not sure if this is a new thing or we completely missed it? Just an FYI for those travelling with their own food.

The Parks:

- Like I briefly mentioned, my boyfriend has never been to Disney World. Man, just watching him experience everything was definitely the highlight of my whole trip.

- It was CROWDED! I have gone over so many holidays and during the summer vs the spring but Thanksgiving was a lot! I went over Easter in about 2010 and that was hands down the worst experience at Disney. The reasoning (besides an obvious holiday with a lot of vacation breaks) was that there was the HUGE cheerleading nationals happening in DHS at the same time. The funny thing was during this trip there were a load of cheerleaders staying at Coronado Springs. A small flashback.

- Due to timing, we had to park hop whereas my previous trips I have been able to allocate a full day to each park. That definitely made it a lot harder to ride the most amount of rides due to our FP choices and RP strategy. My boyfriend didn’t know any better but some things I was definitely bummed about missing and didn’t want to/didn’t have the luxury to wait 50 minutes for.

- I’ll always preach it, but I wish WDW had more single rider lines. I completely understand how hard it is to make ANOTHER queue, the drawbacks of it as well as it not quite being a “family” style push. But Universal does it for nearly every attraction and it just allows you to do SO. MUCH. MORE. We went to Universal before we even stepped foot in a Disney park and my boyfriend kept asking “does this have single rider? Does this?” most likely no! I also understand a lot of the rides aren’t engineered to be for singles especially at MK, I’m not sitting in a car on Winnie the Pooh next to strangers. I get it. When we were almost on Space Mountain, every other car I saw (just on our FP side alone) had an empty seat. Why can’t TOT? No one cares who you sit next to it’s such a short ride. I wish Midway Mania could just because I also saw so many families of 3 or 5 that had empty shooters. My input.:rolleyes1

-Tony's was surprisingly good! I don't know if it will be a must do from now on but can definitely put it into the rotation for future trips if need be.

- Since I was on these boards so much before I traveled, I noticed the amount of strollers (motorized and for kids) so much more. Wow they take over the parks now, huh?

Quick story: After the fireworks at MK we left to go get in line at our bus stop. When we were at our stop there was already one scooter at the front of the queue to the side in their own designated spot. As our bus was FINALLY pulling up to our stop, another motorized scooter with her whole entourage arrive and go to the front of the queue. Not only was it very annoying to have to wait for the production of getting not one but two scooters onto the bus. The second family was able to go on ahead of every single person that was standing there for much longer!! And of course scooters take up so much space. It just rubbed us the wrong way, and of course when that is happening you start over-analyzing the people riding the scooters.

- The day we were supposed to go to AK the park was opening up at 9 AM. Every single thing we checked told us that the park opened at 9. We got there a little before 8:30 AM to see that the entrance was already opened, and not only that, that the FOP queue was already 65 minutes!! I guarantee that the crowds were a lot and they had to do something to alleviate the mess at the entrance but I was slightly annoyed. Who knows if we could’ve managed to get there earlier/with regular opening got on FOP quicker, but I didn’t know they did that. I was there just this past December and we arrived 50 minutes early and still had to wait until about 10 minutes prior to opening before they started ushering us through the park.

No matter what, Disney has such a special place in my heart and now i have another person that caught the Disney bug and is already itching to go back!:flower:

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great time all in all!
I just got back from a trip myself and I don't want to hijack the thread or anything but I concur on the scooter riders. Not like I ever officially counted or anything but wow, there just seemed to be A LOT more the previous trips.

I am sorry that you felt inconvenienced by people on scooter and the people travelling with them However, my husband and I would be very happy if he did not need to ride a scooter at WDW. He had a stroke 4 years ago and still has balance and left side weakness issues. Before that, we walked miles and miles every day we were at the parks.

Please be careful of the comments you (and everyone else) makes about people on scooters. Someday, that person could be one of you.

I am sorry that you felt inconvenienced by people on scooter and the people travelling with them However, my husband and I would be very happy if he did not need to ride a scooter at WDW. He had a stroke 4 years ago and still has balance and left side weakness issues. Before that, we walked miles and miles every day we were at the parks.

Please be careful of the comments you (and everyone else) makes about people on scooters. Someday, that person could be one of you.

I do not think that the OP was complaining about those who genuinely need to use a scooter. In fact, OP specifically acknowledged that some people genuinely need scooters. I took OP's comments to be more directed at the fact that the scooter's entourage got to board the bus before the rest of the people who had been waiting. I understand loading the scooters first, but why does their entire group get to cut the line?

I do not think that the OP was complaining about those who genuinely need to use a scooter. In fact, OP specifically acknowledged that some people genuinely need scooters. I took OP's comments to be more directed at the fact that the scooter's entourage got to board the bus before the rest of the people who had been waiting. I understand loading the scooters first, but why does their entire group get to cut the line?
I have had people complain when my party of 3 including a 4 year old boarded with me. I need my husband's help to a seat as I was not allowed to remain on scooter. so what was I to do with 4 year old and he could not help me to my seat if he had come with me. plus drivers are not allowed to help person yes they do help with scooter

You are incorrect. Read it again. That is exactly what OP said:

“ I know it sounds wrong and there are a lot of people who GENUINELY need scooters, but there are a few who definitely do not.”

And you also. seem to think you are in a position to decide who in your words

“GENUINELY need to use a scooter”.

Amazing. Not sure why anyone needs to see a doctor when they can be diagnosed by complete strangers who don’t know anything at all about them.

FYI. Educate yourself on hidden disabilities. Someday you or someone you love will have a heart attack or stroke. Hopefully people will be kinder to you and your loved one.

I thank God every day for my blessings which include the ability to stand and walk while others can’t. There were times before I had my knees replaced that I had to use a scooter. I will never understand the ignorance of people who think they can judge by looking at someone. Or the arrogance in thinking they have the right to judge.

Last edited:
Agreed about the scooter comments. So many disabilities are invisible. My mom had a stroke this year which left her with a condition that every day leaves her in horrific, debilitating pain. She looks perfectly healthy. She is terrified to use scooters because of others judgment. For reference, in April we went on all kinds of excursions-climbing into speedboats, swimming in the ocean, etc. A few weeks later and something as simple as getting her groceries was agonizing. She looks exactly the same. It’s easy to judge but you truly don’t know.

I totally understand your frustration and sometimes that frustration makes us say things that we normally wouldn't say. Yeah it sucks waiting in line a bit longer after a long day in the park or that there is less room in the bus now compared to as if there were no scooters. But you gotta see things in their perspective. Just think about the person on the scooter for a second; someone may look like they don't need it, so why would they be on a scooter?

Or better yet, think about this: you are a perfectly healthy person who can walk around at WDW no problem. You are then given a choice of starting the day at the park either by walking around as usual OR you must use a scooter all day. What would you choose? I'm guessing you would rather walk around as usual. After all, who would want to deal with finding parking for the scooter before jumping onto a ride (not only is it's a hassle, but you lose "valuable" time in doing so)? Or have people get frustrated and mumble unpleasant things around you because your scooter is not only slower than walking pace, but it is taking up path space? From this, it is pretty safe to say that everyone would choose to walk instead using a scooter to get around. Right?

So to that well-looking person who is using a scooter, why would they choose to use a scooter instead of walking then? Unfortunately, they didn't have a choice. You can't possibly know what everyone's situation is but you can be certain that they are using a scooter for assistance. Just imagine needing help to do basic things, possibly every single day for the rest of your life. Also don't forget, the rest of the family is making sacrifices by having to adjust their own lives to accommodate the person on the scooter.

When you put that into perspective, waiting for a few more minutes to get on that bus isn't really that bad.

ANYWAYS

Overall, sounds like your trip was pretty good! You had some hiccups, but that's OK. As long as you learn from that... for the next trip :)

You got some good pointers in there. I love staying at new resort haha. What other previous resorts have you stayed at besides AoA?

So I am a totally “healthy looking” person, however due to a 16 year old driving impaired without a license I now need the assistance of a scooter!! So you think we like riding around on a scooter?? Do you think it’s fun to not enjoy life the way someone without a scooter does?? I assure you NOT!! I hate it! However it’s that or end up wheelchair bound for the rest of my life! So I’m so sorry a person in a scooter inconveniences you. You poor thing... must be terrible. But now let me explain a few things to those who have issues with those who need scooters. We are not trying to run you over, however if you are walking with your family down the middle of the street and suddenly STOP in front of us to look at your map or take a picture, we can only stop as quick as the scooter allows us too, so if I am paying attention and you however are not and suddenly stop and I bump you, how did that become my fault?? So if your driving paying complete attention and a person texting while driving comes into your lane and you can’t get over and they hit you, is that your fault?? No it’s the person not paying attention!! See where I’m going with this?? Maybe you also should pay attention to your surroundings!! Now as far as the comments that we get to skip lines and just get on things, NOPE, not true. Your perception tells you that but did you ever ask someone how it works or do you just like having something to complain about?? Just like fast passes a person with disabilities has to get a return time for anything at the park, so we actually do have to wait the time you do, we just can’t wait in the queue so we are given the time equal the the wait time for anyone that’s in stand by, then we come back and have to go through the fast pass line, which could also take 10-15 mins therefore in all actuality we are waiting longer than you poor healthy people who had to stand in line. So there’s that. And yes we get to have our families with us so we can also enjoy a fun family day at the park... so before you start posting about how someone has ruined your day, think about this sometimes your insensitivity is what the problem really is!!

You are incorrect. Read it again. That is exactly what OP said:

“ I know it sounds wrong and there are a lot of people who GENUINELY need scooters, but there are a few who definitely do not.”

And you also. seem to think you are in a position to decide who in your words

“GENUINELY need to use a scooter”.

If you had read the entire thread, you would have realized I was taking that phrase from the OP post. I do not know where in my post you get the impression that I feel like I am in a position to decide this.

Amazing. Not sure why anyone needs to see a doctor when they can be diagnosed by complete strangers who don’t know anything at all about them.

FYI. Educate yourself on hidden disabilities. Someday you or someone you love will have a heart attack or stroke. Hopefully people will be kinder to you and your loved one.

Nobody was trying to diagnose anyone, and I certainly wan't being unkind to any one. This is just another example of people on these boards trying to read the worst into someone's post.

I have had people complain when my party of 3 including a 4 year old boarded with me. I need my husband's help to a seat as I was not allowed to remain on scooter. so what was I to do with 4 year old and he could not help me to my seat if he had come with me. plus drivers are not allowed to help person yes they do help with scooter

When I read the OP post, and she used the term their "whole entourage", in my mind I wasn't picturing this scenario. I was picturing the scenario where, which I have seen, it is the person with the scooter and what and large group of other adults who board with them.

When I read the OP post, and she used the term their "whole entourage", in my mind I wasn't picturing this scenario. I was picturing the scenario where, which I have seen, it is the person with the scooter and what and large group of other adults who board with them.

Exactly. One day on our last trip I noticed a group of 12. That's just not necessary.

Exactly. One day on our last trip I noticed a group of 12. That's just not necessary.
as I say I have had complaints when we were a party of 3 including a 4 year old. I looked at one complainer and said you going to take care of the grandson as I need my husbands help. and I should say he is special needs but could walk on his own but you could tell. she answer was for me to do it myself. not sure what she expected me to do differently

So sorry that other people needing a scooter annoyed you I assure you that my brother would do anything to be able to walk without agonizing pain. So maybe think about how your attitude toward disabled people and their families comes across.

If you had read the entire thread, you would have realized I was taking that phrase from the OP post. I do not know where in my post you get the impression that I feel like I am in a position to decide this.

Nobody was trying to diagnose anyone, and I certainly wan't being unkind to any one. This is just another example of people on these boards trying to read the worst into someone's post.

Yes, actually I did read the whole thread. I have not only witnessed the behavior but experienced it myself.

People have no shame when it comes to judging those using scooters. My heart breaks when I read someone post as they did above that her mother who suffers hidden disabilities is afraid to use an assistance device because of the looks and comments. So she either goes to go or suffers.

I frequent the disabilities board. Do you know how many people come there to find out about scooters? They look young and healthy but are recovering from surgery, Dad can’t walk do well with his knees but is too proud to use one. All because people feel entitled to pass judgements on total strangers. When I see or hear it, all I can think is that your turn will come. To you or someone you love. Sadly that is the only way that some people’s conscience can be raised.

You seemed to want to give the OP a pass on this. But hers is a common attitude and I think it is a teachable moment.

Last edited:
You seemed to want to give the OP a pass on this. But hers is a common attitude and I think it is a teachable moment.

I did not give the OP a pass on anything. As I clearly stated, my initial interpretation of her post was that she was upset about the individual's whole entourage being able to board the bus first, despite having just arrived. You read the OP's post and came away with a different interpretation. That is fine.

Somehow you came away with the conclusion that I was passing judgment on people who use scooters, despite my first and subsequent posts making it clear that I was only asking about the sometimes large groups of people with them who get to board before the rest of the line. As stated in my first post, I have no problem with people on scooters boarding first. As clarified in a later post, I have no problem with their immediate family/group boarding with them. It is the large groups that I was questioning. And that was all that I did, I questioned why that should be. I did not say that it shouldn't happen, I simply asked a question that no one has attempted to answer.

I did not give the OP a pass on anything. As I clearly stated, my initial interpretation of her post was that she was upset about the individual's whole entourage being able to board the bus first, despite having just arrived. You read the OP's post and came away with a different interpretation. That is fine.

Somehow you came away with the conclusion that I was passing judgment on people who use scooters, despite my first and subsequent posts making it clear that I was only asking about the sometimes large groups of people with them who get to board before the rest of the line. As stated in my first post, I have no problem with people on scooters boarding first. As clarified in a later post, I have no problem with their immediate family/group boarding with them. It is the large groups that I was questioning. And that was all that I did, I questioned why that should be. I did not say that it shouldn't happen, I simply asked a question that no one has attempted to answer.
what would you call a group if 2 parents and 4 or 5 kids under 12 where one parents needs a scooter? I am just asking where you cut the group and how you would do it

Technically it’s the scooter plus 5 other guests. In practicality however few bus drivers enforce this because of the mix of ages and relationships between group members.

If 12 people get on with the scooter it is because this is how the driver has elected to handle that particular situation. If it’s an issue the problem is the driver’s judgement not the group which is following his/her directive.

what would you call a group if 2 parents and 4 or 5 kids under 12 where one parents needs a scooter? I am just asking where you cut the group and how you would do it

I addressed this above:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!