Just starting to research RVing...

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
Dh and I are considering making a truck and RV purchase in the next few years.
Our goal is to purchase a truck first, then purchase the travel trailer.

We are both educators, so we get time off but the budget isn't huge. (For that reason, we plan to save our money and pay cash, so it may take us a little longer to purchase.)
We essentially want a hotel-on-wheels. We want a bathroom and some beds (electric and sewer hookups and decent tanks), a/c, refrigerator, and plenty of plugs for our electronic devices at night, and some storage for clothes, etc.
We would like something of good quality that doesn't break all the time.

We would likely use it about 4-6 weeks in the summer, then on some holiday breaks during the school year. Our home won't accommodate anything for storage, so we would need to pay to store it in town. Likely, this would be covered, but not closed in.

I found the following model online. What do you think of this make and model?
http://www.campingworldoflafayette....eman-coleman-cts17fq-bunkhouse-10k-LAF1318951
I like the bunk beds for the kids (they are currently age 7 and almost 2). The price would be attainable for us.

The dry weight seems good. How would I estimate gross weight?

Also, could you recommend additional forums or websites dedicated to camping/RVing with families?

Hi MudQueen. You're from Houston, you must not be a football fan if your on the boards this morning.
I find the Disboard great about Fort Wilderness. Lots of great info and a fun and friendly group of people. For my general RV'ing info I go to RV.net .
There you can select your category. They will give you all kinds of good info. Keep in mind, if you ask which unit is best, get ready to get 100's of opinions.
One thing I hear the most is to get the floor plan you like the most. They will also tell you to get enough truck to tow your new trailer.
Good luck with your choice and let us know what you do.

MudQueen22,

That trailer is located here on its manufacturer's website: http://www.dutchmen.com/coleman/floorplans-and-pictures/floorplan-details/?modelId=22914

On this page the average empty/shipped weight is 3205# and shows a cargo capacity of 645# for a total of 3850#. So 3850 is the gross weight. The model you linked shipped a little heavier so the cargo weight would be that much less so that the combined number is still 3850 (which is not that heavy). Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the empty weight plus the Cargo Capacity. As you can see, the CC is the flexible number based on what the unit is loaded up with.

Like Jaylens Papa said, a trailer selection is a very personal choice.

Good luck with your research.

Bama Ed

Jaylens Papa, the tv is on, but only dh is really watching.

I really like the floor plan on that Coleman. The bunk beds would allow our kids to grow. It looks like a good place to shower and sleep after a day in the parks or playing in a national park.

I have a lot to learn, and a lot of saving to do.

My best advice is to get exactly what you want the first time. It's very costly trading up. When buying your truck remember everything you put in it goes toward the weight it is carrying. People, fuel and stuff. Some say only tow 75% of capacity some say 90%. I like the 75% rule since we always seem to be going uphill when we leave home. Have fun looking!

Okay, here is my 2 cents. Without knowing you or your style, Unless you are minimalists, I feel that this one may be too small. 645 pounds of cargo is not a lot for a family of 4. When you add clothes, dishes, supplies, Water, Gas, etc... that 645 pounds gets used up fairly quickly. Especially with over 200 pounds of water (the fresh water tank capacity of 27 gallons at 8#/gallon gives 216#) which counts for the "Cargo". I would add that it's really not a lot of water if you end up "Dry Camping" as well (with no hookups).

I know for us, the Queen bed location ended up being problematic. We had a similar model (Coachmen Capri 27tbs) albeit larger, and DW slept on the side closest to the dinette, while I slept by the wall. I am 5'10" and my feet were cramped by a cabinet at my feet (yours has a end table). Plus if I had to get up in the night, I would have to crawl OVER my DW to get out. I didn't typically sleep too soundly in that camper (unless I slept on the couch which happened a few times not as a result of fighting though.)

Now if you consider the bunkbeds, be mindful of who will sleep where? Who will be on the top bunk? Is there a ladder? If not how will the child get up there (will you have to get them up/down? What about the 2AM potty trip?) Do the 7 and (almost) 2 year old get along well or will one be complaining that the other is stepping on their bed to get to the top bunk? What about when you are spending a day inside and the one who doesn't sleep on the bottom bunk wants to sit on it. My 2 girls were 7 years apart and we dealt with a lot of that. You may not have that issue though. Just food for thought. (knowing the nature of kids)

My last thought is that this is a smaller TT, so what happens when you have to stay inside (perhaps a rainy day) how will the size impact your crew? This really echos what others have said about getting the floor plan you want. While we did enjoy our 27TBS we had it for about 5 years before we upgraded to our current a Coachman Catalina 343 QBDS (2 queen bunks one in front and back. Older DD is almost out of the nest but her and our younger DD will share the Queen bed which was much better then the bunk situation we had.)

I think though my biggest concern for you with this size could be the cargo capacity. As Ed points out the Dry weight of 3205# does Only includes the base model and nothing that wasn't part of the original delivery. Often times add-ons are not part of it (i.e Spare Tire, Optional Electric tongue jack versus hand crank) and the weight of water and fuel (Propane) is not part of it. The weight can quickly reach capacity very quickly.

Floor plan of our former TT. Capri 27TBS
2005_coachmen_capri_27tbs_floorplan.gif

Floor plan of our current Coachmen 343QBDS (with Dinette and Queen bed in front)
2016-coachmen-catalina-343qbds.png

I hope I didn't discourage you. It may be right for your family, only you can decide, just wanted to give you some things to consider.

My last advice is that once you get it, take a short local trip so that you can work out the "Bugs" (be it missing crucial supplies, or something less major) before you take the LONG trip and have to deal with the problem so far from home. Either way, I am sure you and your family will enjoy camping in a TT.

First piece of advice, is go to an RV show, look at the different options.
Bunks are nice, but look at the size of the bunks. Are the kids going to fit in them in 5 years.
Yes, they make different size bunks, that is just the first thing, there are many more to be looked at.

I will second the RV show. So many different floor plans to look at. You know what they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure, we looked at a 5th wheel at a sports show with the front living, didn't like it at all, next person comes in and says it's great. Also, when we were looking for the camper we have now, Cougar 327 les, we spent many weekends at camper dealers close to us, they usually have them all open on the weekends and you can browse different floorplans, some you're going to like, others you're going to hate. I'll also agree with peg110, 27 gallons of water is really not that much for a weekend if you are camping in a state park without hookups. Have fun shopping.

Thank you all so much for the great advice.
Peg110, is 645 lbs all I can carry inside the trailer while traveling? Including water and liquid propane?
That does seem really low.
How did you figure out that number?

I think the sleeping arrangements will be good; right now they like to bed share, but I don't see that happening as they get older.

But I'm concerned on weight capacit y that you mentioned. That's one reason we are saving for a truck also-- wanting plenty of tow capacity.

Another question--
Is it hard to find campgrounds with electric, water, and sewer hook ups at national and state campgrounds?
Is it typical that you would have to boondock in parks?

National Parks are usually boondocking, State Parks depend on the state, most, at least in PA, DE, MD, VA have at least electric and water.

Thank you all so much for the great advice.
Peg110, is 645 lbs all I can carry inside the trailer while traveling? Including water and liquid propane?
That does seem really low.
How did you figure out that number?

I think the sleeping arrangements will be good; right now they like to bed share, but I don't see that happening as they get older.

But I'm concerned on weight capacit y that you mentioned. That's one reason we are saving for a truck also-- wanting plenty of tow capacity.
That weight was based upon the Link that @bama_ed provided which shows the Specs of the trailer.

SPECIFICATIONS
WEIGHTS
Average Shipping Weight (lbs.) -- 3,205
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) -- 453
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) -- 645

MEASUREMENTS
Height -- 8' 8''
Length -- 21' 5''

CAPACITIES
Fresh Water Capacity (gals.) -- 27
Black Water Capacity (gals.) -- 28
Grey Water Capacity (gals.) -- 28​

The cargo capacity is everything EXCEPT the Dryweight but in this chart they ave Avg Shipping weight. Typically they give you the Gross weight (MAXIMUM) and a Dry weight and you subtract to get the cargo weight. Either way the cargo is everything beyond the stock trailer. So the Water, propane and any "Added" accessories (including lumber for chocking) is used to determine the cargo weight. You could get away with a bit more but if an incident happens, the Manufacturer won't be liable. So yeah, IMHO, that is a bit low for a family of 4 when you start adding things up.

You can carry stuff in the truck too, but it too will have a MAX capacity for the "Combined" weight. Quite honestly, you can go absolutely nuts dealing with the different weights.
  • Gross
  • Combined
  • Gross combined
  • Dry
  • Hitch
  • Tongue
  • Net
  • Axel
  • Pin
  • etc....
These are all different types of "Weight" which can, sadly, vary depending on configuration, equipment, etc.. (i.e. Load Distributing hitch, electric braking, transmission coolers, etc....)

Put me in the camp of going to RV shows. You will see latest models and fully tricked out models but will see what is out there. We hit a local campground that over a variety weekends early in the year host different dealers that host events and display what they available (new and used). Speak with family and friends that have and find what they like and would change if they could. If you have a local dealer that rents units Try some different ones on for size for a weekend and make sure this is what you want to do. Hint with no tow vehicle just yet you might want to try campgrounds that rent ones

I wont say much since so many have already commented, and I agree with them. The one thing I will point out is the unit you are looking at does not have a slide. We made the mistake of thinking we did not want one, that we didn't need that much space as we like to live outdoors when we camp and use the TT for mostly sleeping. Well, wait to you have a really bad thunderstorm and you are trapped inside for three hours. Not long after that experience we traded our small 17' for a 27' with a slide. Good luck and happy camping!

I wont say much since so many have already commented, and I agree with them. The one thing I will point out is the unit you are looking at does not have a slide. We made the mistake of thinking we did not want one, that we didn't need that much space as we like to live outdoors when we camp and use the TT for mostly sleeping. Well, wait to you have a really bad thunderstorm and you are trapped inside for three hours. Not long after that experience we traded our small 17' for a 27' with a slide. Good luck and happy camping!

I've wondered if we would want a slide or not, and I've wondered how often the weather might drive us indoors.
Do you ever find yourself in a situation where the campground can't accommodate the slide?

And please don't feel like you shouldn't say much. I'm really just trying to learn all I can while we save our money. Even if someone says something that doesn't really apply to us, I want to take it into consideration since things may change, or its something I just haven't thought of.
I appreciate the info so much.

Lots of great advice on weight capacities, holding tanks and the benefits of various layouts. I'll add that I would seriously consider a trailer with a slide. The extra room really makes the space more livable. I'm on my 4th trailer and 3rd "bunk house" My first bunk house was a 33ft TT. While 33 ft seems big, it didn't have any slides and felt very confined when you put 3 or 4 people in it. It was hard to scoot past someone cooking at the sink if you needed to get to the bathroom at the rear of the trailer.

No one has spoke to a truck. Since you don't currently have one, OVER buy when you do get one. Too many of us bought the trailer we thought our vehicle could tow, only to find out it was at or above it's capacity. I would also seriously consider looking at used. Trucks hold their value, but the sticker on new ones will scare you. Especially if you are looking at anything more than a 1/2 ton.

If you are looking at a smaller TT, a 1/2 ton truck or mid-size SUV will probably do fine. Compare weights on the vehicle you are considering and the trailer you are looking at. Base your vehicle tow capacity off the max weight the trailer can be (GVWR), not the "dry weight". And look at vehicles that can tow 20% (or more) above the max weight of the trailer. It seems like overkill, but will make for a much more comfortable combination.

And last, don't trust any salesman on what a trailer weighs or how much the vehicle can tow. The internet is your friend on both of those. Taking an hour to do your own research will pay off huge in having a great combination.

j

Last edited:
And last, don't trust any salesman on what a trailer weighs or how much the vehicle can tow. The internet is your friend on both of those. Taking an hour to do your own research will pay off huge in having a great combination.
This is a GREAT point and worth ECHOING. Salesman have one goal.... to SELL. Many will want to do the right thing, others don't care about anything but getting the sale at all costs.

Listen to them, but do your homework. If any salesman (Truck or Trailer) won't let you keep an "Offer" after you leave (i.e. HIGH PRESSURE sales) then it's probably better that you walk away.

I also agree to "Over buy" the truck. While a truck towing at or near (maybe even slightly over) capacity will work, it's not very comfortable. Not to mention when you hit a hill and are going 20, 30 or more MPH below the speed limit and traffic is lining up behind you and your tow vehicle is "Screaming" as the RPMs are near read line all the way up the hill. It's stressful on the truck, other drivers and of course on you. Minimally you want a vehicle that will tow 10% (and preferably 20%) more than the MAX of your trailer.

Is it hard to find campgrounds with electric, water, and sewer hook ups at national and state campgrounds?
Is it typical that you would have to boondock in parks?
Depends a lot on the parks, some National parks have all the hookups at a campground, others have not much. In Nebraska, most campgrounds at the State parks have electric hookups at sites only, very few offer sewer and water at site.
I would also seriously consider looking at used. Trucks hold their value, but the sticker on new ones will scare you. Especially if you are looking at anything more than a 1/2 ton.
And if you add diesel motor to that the price goes $$$. But, I wouldn't trade my Duramax for anything right now, only 70,000 miles, hardly broke in. :thumbsup2

And if you add diesel motor to that the price goes $$$. But, I wouldn't trade my Duramax for anything right now, only 70,000 miles, hardly broke in. :thumbsup2
My current truck is a 2011 F350 dually with the 6.7 diesel. I priced out a new one just like I have... $67,000. :worship:

j

I'm in the camp to go to RV shows. We've been going to RV shows off & on for 2 years. Just went to one yesterday. We looked at Coleman RVs yesterday but seem to fall back on the Jayco & Keystone models. I've been doing a lot of research too on the slides. While I like them I've read a lot on different sites about them breaking or jamming so I'm sorta leaning away from them. It's just DH & I and our Jack Russell so we are trying to stay around 21 feet. Also storage is a big issue for us too at our home. Subdivision requirements are quite strict. Jayco & Keystone both have some nice looking TTs with the rear bunkhouse, too in case you haven't seen them. We are hoping to purchase towards the end of this year, and for the time being our cargo work van will have to pull it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter