Kali River Rapids vs Pirates of the Carribean

CamColt

Does anyone know what the difference in the size of the "drop" is between KRR and POC ? Ive ridden both, but cant really tell which is more of a drop. My DM really wants to try Kali on our upcoming trip but she is afraid of drops. She heard the "big" drop (which I know isnt too big at all) on KRR is about 25ft, so Im wondering if POC is more or less. She likes POC. ;)
Thanks for any input!

I think that the "drop" in POC is more like a dip @ WDW. In fact my son yelled out as we dipped and then looked @ me and said that he was embarassed that he had yelled. I think it' more tht it's a dark ride.

My 43y/o is not into the drops at all. She tolerated the rapids drop just fine.

A DL there are 2 small drops.

I would say the drop on KRR is longer it's really not that bad.There's a build up with the uphill conveyor trip buy even for this scaredycat:earsboy: I loved it!

Kali is, in my opinion, a longer drop. But i still don't think it is much of a drop. Your DM will be more worried about getting wet than noticing the drop. The only thing i'd say that makes KRR's drop "scarier" is the possibility of going down backwards. Although for some, that may be less frightening.

there are two drops on KRR that i can recall....at the beginning after the long climbing build up....that drop is very small (but some people get soaked because of a geyser that goes off as you pass by)...that drop is probably the same as POC, if not smaller...
however, there is a bigger drop at the end of KRR.....however, it's really not much of a big deal (it's much much smaller than Splash, but bigger than POC...
the people who end up at the bottom of the raft as it gets to the bottom of that drop, get totally totally totally drenched...totally.....

this is a fun ride....and it has the disney storyline touches....we very much enjoy it.....and usually ride it several times in a row if the line permits....

please keep in mind that the bottom of the boat gets very wet....unless you're wearing water shoes/sandals, you should take them off and put them in the center holder...
and if you're wimps like us, you can also ride it wearing rain ponchos (be sure to tuck the poncho all around you and keep that hood up....you'll look stupid, but you'll stay dry)....

Compared to the 2 real drops on Grizzly River Run (a much better ride than Kali) at DCA, the one on Kali is just a little slide--it's more long than steep, and I'd say the 2 GRR drops are about the same as the DL POTC drops, just not in the dark and you get a lot wetter.

we like kali river rapids between than Grizzly River Run..

i just realized my earlier post wasn't very clear...
unless you're wearing water shoes or water sandals, be sure to take them off as they will get soaked (even if you lift your feet onto the support bar)..

Last night on the Travel Channel they did a show about Animal Kingdom and the said the drop on KRR is 40 feet.:)

Originally posted by ellenmiele
Last night on the Travel Channel they did a show about Animal Kingdom and the said the drop on KRR is 40 feet.:)

LOL, well dont tell my DM! She thought she heard 25. :teeth:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I know its not that big, and as I told DM, if my kids, who are the biggest chickens around, could do it, then she definitely can.

As for getting wet, when we went on, one couple got soaked twice. DH & DSs stayed totally dry, and I got partially wet(I was next to the soaked couple). Like pfc said, I was more ocncerned about how wet I would get and I didnt pay attnetion much to the drop. ;)

I grew up going to Disneyland in CA. The first time I rode Pirates in WDW I was very disappointed that it didn't have the big drops. (Also that it didn't have the Blue Bayou restaurant at the beginning.)

Kali River Rapids has a much bigger drop but it's more like sliding downhill at an angle.

We don't like getting soaked but decided to try it once at the end of the day. Two ladies were in our raft with us. I would have loved to ask them if they'd just gotten off work and came for a few hours to the park because they were dressed like businesswomen. Tailored skirts, blouses, pantyhose, pumps (I still don't know how they walked through AK in pumps!) and full makeup and styled hair.

Yup, THEIR side of the raft got SOAKED!! They were completely drenched, makeup running, hair gone flat, soaked to the skin, just like someone dunked them completely under water! What was great was that instead of getting mad they were laughing their heads off saying "Wouldn't you know WE would be the ones to get drenched!" They got off and walked away still laughing hard.

Talk about good sports!

Rhonna

Originally posted by CamColt
LOL, well dont tell my DM! She thought she heard 25. :teeth:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I know its not that big, and as I told DM, if my kids, who are the biggest chickens around, could do it, then she definitely can.

As for getting wet, when we went on, one couple got soaked twice. DH & DSs stayed totally dry, and I got partially wet(I was next to the soaked couple). Like pfc said, I was more ocncerned about how wet I would get and I didnt pay attnetion much to the drop. ;)

Your DM and I must be on the same wavelength - I thought what I heard was 25 as well.

I could do both again, but I'm not sure about Splash. I have a big coster/dropping/or anything wild ride problem:rolleyes:

I watched the Animal Kingdom special today, the drop is 25 feet. I'm certain of that.

lori

Rhonna -- yes, the lack of the blue bayou was a disappointment for me as well.....by the way, there is a blue bayou type thing in the POC in paris....that is, the boat goes through a restaurant type idea like that.......one of the nice things in paris...

disneyholic family,

We actually went to DLP in October. We ended the day with dinner at the Blue Lagoon restaurant inside Pirates. (Caribbean food.) That was the highlight of our day at DLP - unfortunately, I cannot say that we enjoyed the day at DLP very much. (Don't ask... but we'll stick with WDW in future. Loved Paris - didn't love DLP.)

Rhonna

I am definitely a chicken when it comes to rides. I rode Kali & I didn't get that funny feeling in my stomach on the drop like I usually get on the drops of POC, Splash, or Maelstrom.

unless you're wearing water shoes or water sandals, be sure to take them off as they will get soaked (even if you lift your feet onto the support bar)..

Just an FYI, and I'm not sure why, but on Kali they are very into making you wear your shoes. It's one area where the CM's (at least when I was there) were aggressive about it. They even shut the ride down briefly to tell someone to put their shoes back on when I was there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter