Kayaking near Lahaina?

jodybird511

DIS Veteran
Hey folks,

For those who have been to Maui, any recommendations for guided kayaking? Preferably, experiences appropriate for older kids (11 and 18).

Well until someone comes along.....what are your other Maui plans? We’re planning on doing a lot of snorkeling, going horseback riding, and the kids surfing (I’m too old and fat LOL). Also a luau for my daughter’s 21st birthday, which she chose over a sunset cruise.

Well until someone comes along.....what are your other Maui plans? We’re planning on doing a lot of snorkeling, going horseback riding, and the kids surfing (I’m too old and fat LOL). Also a luau for my daughter’s 21st birthday, which she chose over a sunset cruise.
Hahah--I feel you @cgattis--definitely too old and fat over here too! :) So, we are still in the early planning phases right now, b/c we changed our plans from Kauai to Maui--we are traveling end of June/beginning of July and were worried Kauai wouldn't ease up on the stricter quarantine rules soon enough (and also preferred not to sit and stress about it in the meantime). That said, we def want to snorkel and kayak. Possibly Haleakala, possibly Road to Hana, though my son gets car sick, so leaning towards not doing that--but there's so much to see!!!! Sound like our fams are similar--we've got a graduating senior daughter this year. We're also considering a luau--we've done the Aulani one a few years ago, and I did one when I traveled to Maui in high school, but we're thinking we might do it this year again. When are you all going, and where are you staying? We're trying out Kaanapali Shores, for which I've seen somewhat mixed (though mostly positive) reviews, but I think it will work well for our needs.

Well last time we did Maui, we were on a cruise, so we went from the port to Hana and back in a day. (I get carsick too, took half a “less drowsy” Dramamine and was fine.) We did it and got back right at dusk, but I didn’t get nearly enough time on the black beach and Oheo Gulch was closed due to a mudslide, so it’d be tight if you want to see that too. And I want to hike the bamboo trail this time too. So we decided to stay two nights in Hana this time, at Hana Kai Maui. I don’t love condos, but I’m gonna make it work!

Then we’re staying in Wailea the rest of the time. I think it’s a good base and plenty of good snorkeling in that area right from the beach. Wanted to do Maui and Kauai again this trip, but the accommodations on Kauai, plus the time and potential hassle of getting over there, just made me decide I’d rather just soak up Maui. Now my friend is going to Kauai for a week in June, and she may have me itching to go back!!! But that’s my plan for now!

Oh yeah, Haleakala....I just couldn’t see dragging my family out of bed at 3am to do sunrise, so we just went when we got up one morning. It was still awesome!! But seriously take a hoodie (don’t leave them in your room...like I did!!!)—it was like 50 with a stiff wind, so it felt subzero. It was gorgeous. Not really planning to do it again, although we might try for sunset one night. But the road is superb, so don’t go expecting “Hana redux.” It’s wide and well-paved and -marked. There are plenty of hairpins, but its nothing like the Hana highway—easy driving. And there’s literally nothing from the time you go in the gates as far as provisions, although there are toilets at the base station and the top.

It's been a few years since we've been to Maui and I'm not sure what is open right now and not, but we enjoyed a snorkeling cruise out to Molokini Crater. SNUBA is also an option for some Molokini Crater cruises. My motion-sick prone daughter did fine on the Road to Hana after taking a Bonine the night before and then half of one in the morning before we left. We usually stay in Kihei so we don't turn around at Hana - we keep going around the bottom of the island. The road is all paved now and the views are breathtaking. On a clear day you can see the peaks of the Big Island in the distance. The road doesn't go all the way around the bottom of the island - it turns north to go over the western slopes of Haleakala through Kula and and you end up on the main road near Kahului.

If I'ao Needle is open it's neat to drive into that valley and walk around the area. I don't know if it is or will be open when you visit Maui, but the Maui Ocean Center is a great aquarium if you'll be comfortable being in an indoor environment. Walking through old Lahaina town is fun and there are some great restaurants there. Our favorite luau is the Old Lahaina Luau. The performers in the show depict the dances of several Pacific Islands and the experience is said to be a more authentic luau than some of the other commercial luaus.

And of course there are great beaches and great snorkeling opportunities. We stay in a condo across the street from Kama'ole Beach III and the snorkeling near the rocks toward the north side of the beach has some great fish plus we've seen sea turtles over there as well.

I hope you enjoy your trip no matter what you decide to do!

The road is all paved now and the views are breathtaking.
In my best Pink Ladies voice, “tell me more, tell me more!!” Wanting to drive from Hana to Wailea (yes, I understand I go back through Kula) and was trying to decide how long it might take and what we’d like to see along the way, Thought we might get back in time to grab a burger at Ulupalakuku Ranch but won’t shortchange any good stops just for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter