"Keep Calm and Carry On" April 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

Because I’m retired, my at home experience is much different than most of you. I have a loose routine I follow but I have been in the mindset that if something doesn’t get done today it’s ok. So I don’t have the stress of work and keeping kids on schedule as well. I am so sympathetic to what you’re trying to do right now.

After 6 weeks home though, I have to stay motivated to keep making healthy meals and not overeat. So maybe I need to come up with more of a schedule to keep busy.

Here’s a recipe I have made a couple times and we really liked it. I have made it with chicken breasts and different vegetables. I did use only 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar and regular carrots, not the baby carrots.

https://tasty.co/recipe/slow-cooker-balsamic-chicken

Time is strange... without working, my days are totally my own to fill or not fill. Right now I feel like I'm doing very little, and the time is flying by. There are household things I do need to get done today, since I am still trying to take weekends time "off", so I'll see if that stretches the day out more. Someone I follow on IG posted about feeling like she wasn't getting anything "done", but when she listed out what she had done during the day it was actually quite a lot, so it's like we value certain things and if they get done we're good, but things we don't value as much don't register that same way.

I'm kind of frustrated with Noom, or with myself and how I'm doing things, not really sure which one it is. My caloric intake is right on point, even tho my red foods are consistently high. I'm having a hard time getting out of the "good food" "bad food" mindset, because for me there are bad foods, based on my allergies. I did my weekly grocery shopping this morning and noticed I had no attraction to straight up sugar - candy, pastries etc, but I have been craving fruit so I got some berries.

I'm seriously thinking of moving my September WDW trip out to early next year, I just don't think I'll be comfortable going this fall. Plus I'm signed up for a week long retreat/workshop in Port Townsend in October and it seems like a lot to be taking two vacations so close together. Argggg... I think I'll start poking around today and see what it looks like to change again.
Unfortunately those red foods can really cause trouble. I used to eat Kind bars every day, but I stopped because of Noom. Believe it or not, it made a difference.

I'm also having a hard time keeping them to following the school day schedule. I'm supposed to be done by 3pm, but they are contacting me as late as 9pm. I ignore most of it, but sometimes I will get multiple texts from my assistant...last night it was 15 texts at 8:08pm.

That is a tough call! I'm sure some of the parents are working from home themselves, and helping their kids with schoolwork at odd hours, but you do need breaks too.

I just had "lunch" on Zoom with my 7 colleagues who I eat lunch with every day in the teachers' lounge. We are sharing similar struggles, but I feel so lucky to not be home with a baby or toddler right now. We all have kids at various stages, but out of the 8 of us, there are 5 babies/toddlers. These poor women chasing around very mobile babies all day. Just during our Zoom meeting, I could see the absolute exhaustion on all of their faces. So, when I feel a bit overwhelmed with it all, I will think of them and what they have to do while working full time from home.

Friday has become my least favorite day of the week. Our Friday’s are professional development days. Don’t get me wrong, I think that’s important. But I had Google Meets set up from 9:30-11:30 and 1-2. Then I was on the phone with an instructional aide for 2 hours trying to help her learn how to create activities on our Seesaw platform that we use for K-5 online instruction. I’m addition to this, kids we’re still submitting assignments throughout the day that I was checking. Last week I started calling a few kids on Friday and I wanted to make it a weekly thing. But I was so tired by 4:00. I took a 15 minute break before calling my wife to take a walk. But even on that walk, I was listening to a TED talk on feedback that was a required task assigned by our principal. It just becomes a bit overwhelming on Friday’s. Then I usually focus on house projects over the weekend to de-stress. Mon-Thurs feels more flexible with my work and I enjoy the planning and creating activities for the kids. This Monday I’m pushing my comfort level and planning a fun Google Meet with my class to simply say hi and share a favorite toy or game they enjoy at home. I’m excited to see them (I hope many join in), but I’m also extremely anxious about the tech side of leading it and managing it. But I’m hopeful that once I do one, I’ll feel more comfortable doing more and maybe get into some actual instruction that way.

We have rain this morning, have to admit it feels really good. This is snuggle weather and makes me wish I had a fireplace. I kind of want to do the beach loop drive to see the water while it's raining, but I did it yesterday after grocery shopping, so that feels pretty frivolous.

I didn't get very far exploring moving my WDW to next March, for some reason Disney only has dates to end of December loaded. Doesn't make sense at all, as even in regular times people plan trips so far in advance.

Our state has taken the first step to "open up" the economy, with low risk construction starting back up, based on meeting certain control criteria. Next week elective surgeries will be allowed to start back up. All good news, and still happy with the way the Governor is handling things. Our curve has really dropped off, current hot spots are rural agricultural areas and a meat processing plant, the general urban populations are in good shape.

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday reading "City of Girls", written by Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love) and will do the same today to finish it. In reviews I've read that the first part of the book is light reading but in the second half the story line gets deeper, and that's right where I am in the book.

Hope all have a wonderful day.

Today I started making masks. I am a researcher on every topic, not just Disney. I read that 3 layers of 800 thread count sheets filters out the virus. However I soon discovered that you cannot breathe through it. Flannel layered with cotton is good depending on thread count and so is denim. The old white flannel sheets I have in the house, I can breathe through. Plus I have some pretty Lilly Pulitzer fabric. Apparently no mask is as good as standing 6 feet apart, but I need something to wear since bandannas (which I bought 20 of) are the worst for the virus. Today I made this. It took me 3 hours, but it’s done. C73D41D5-767C-40DF-BA1A-8426498B18D6.jpeg

Today I started making masks. I am a researcher on every topic, not just Disney. I read that 3 layers of 800 thread count sheets filters out the virus. However I soon discovered that you cannot breathe through it. Flannel layered with cotton is good depending on thread count and so is denim. The old white flannel sheets I have in the house, I can breathe through. Plus I have some pretty Lilly Pulitzer fabric. Apparently no mask is as good as standing 6 feet apart, but I need something to wear since bandannas (which I bought 20 of) are the worst for the virus. Today I made this. It took me 3 hours, but it’s done. View attachment 490655
Very nice! And it looks like it would be comfortable to wear.

Today I started making masks. I am a researcher on every topic, not just Disney. I read that 3 layers of 800 thread count sheets filters out the virus. However I soon discovered that you cannot breathe through it. Flannel layered with cotton is good depending on thread count and so is denim. The old white flannel sheets I have in the house, I can breathe through. Plus I have some pretty Lilly Pulitzer fabric. Apparently no mask is as good as standing 6 feet apart, but I need something to wear since bandannas (which I bought 20 of) are the worst for the virus. Today I made this. It took me 3 hours, but it’s done. View attachment 490655
Looks great. I made mine out of two layers of quality quilting cotton, which has a weave tight enough to keep my germs in, which is really all the cloth masks do. I’ve seen one graphic that shows chance of cross contamination with masks and physical distancing is less than 1%, do pretty darn good.

SELF CARE SUNDAY

Gabby Bernstein recently posted about the four questions she asks herself each morning. They are about setting intentions for the day and aligning with the energy on the universe... they perfectly to fit into self care, so I thought I would post them today.

1. What do I want to feel today?
2. What do I want to be today?
3. What do I want to give today?

4. What do I want to receive today?

Ugh I had saved quotes to respond to from some of your posts - but I went back to look for something and they disappeared!

@piglet1979 you are so right about each kid needing their own parenting approach sometimes! Also, I hope that Nick's English teacher can incorporate some of whatever she is doing that is working for him on learn from home into normal schooling when it resumes to help him keep up that engagement :)

@Summer2018 My DS16 would love to be a stand-up comedian! He is also one of those people who just finds the funny in situations and his observations of situations and the world. His back up is a high school teacher - I tease him that he just wants a captive audience in the students lol

@MickeyMom76 I am exhausted just reading your 2 posts - the one with the busy schedule with sports training even in isolation and then your extended school days at the moment! You are definitely earning your 'Self-care Sundays'!

Where did the last couple of days go? They just went by in a blur of nothingness for me - got some housework done, did some baking, went to my parents to drop of some books for my Mum to read this afternoon - that doubled as a driving lesson for DD16. It was really only her second proper drive on the road and I must say she did really well! She is feeling very proud of herself - which is fantastic as she often doubts herself :)

1. What do I want to feel today?
I want to feel happy & relaxed
2. What do I want to be today?
I want to be a good mother
I want to give love and joy to my family
4. What do I want to receive today?
I want to receive laughter

I have to admit that as simple as those questions seemed at first, they were a little harder than I thought...especially the last one. My overall goal for today is to focus on family fun. We’ll start with online church soon and a big brunch. Then I thought we would play Toy Story Mania on the old Wii since this was the weekend I was supposed to take my son to Disney (even though he doesn’t know that). Then I’ll make beef stew for dinner and we’ll watch a Disney movie on Disney+. I’m thinking on of the older ones like Old Yeller or Incredible Journey.

1. What do I want to feel today? I want to feel content.
2. What do I want to be today? I want to be actively engaged.
I want to send calming and soothing energy out in to the world.
4. What do I want to receive today? I want to receive support.

@MickeyMom76 I agree, they do seem like simple straight forward questions, then they take me deeper than I expect. This morning I really had to think about #2.

Yesterday the rain blew away mid-day and the afternoon was a lovely bight sunny breezy day. I had a good green/yellow/red food day, so getting on track there. I did spend some $$$ tho. I've been feeling like I'm not burning enough calories with just walking and had looked at some under desk cycles, thinking I could do it while watching TV in the evenings. I resisted tho, until yesterday when Noom had a thing on how mild exercise, like walking, can increase appetite, but more intense activity will actually decrease it, so I went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully it will be a good thing.

Today it is already bright and clear, so I'll spend some time out in the garden and will do another good long walk in the neighborhood. Other than that it's just putzing around the house... a nice lazy Sunday.

How do you like it?

It just came a couple of days ago, but I like it so far!

We got it mostly for DS, as I thought he'd like to use it while doing schoolwork, but we found that he's a bit tall to have it under the dining room table where he usually works. (There's sort of a brace piece on our table that he hits his knees on. - But I'm shorter, and don't hit it at all.)

Instead, we put it by one of the sofas, and he's been using it on study breaks. - I'm sure I'll use it while watching TV sometimes as well.

The assembly instructions were very clear and just a couple of steps. He and I put it together easily. It's this one:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter