"Keep Calm and Carry On" April 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

I've actually lost about 6 pounds since it all started

I am impressed that is awesome - you get a healthy banana dance :banana::banana::banana:

There are somethings about the current times that perplex me tho, like the more I rest the tired-er I become... I assumed that at some point my bucket would be full and I'd feel restored.

ugh - me too! Seems like we need to exert some energy to gain more energy :confused3

faith, hope, and humor

You get quote of the month! party:Love this :goodvibes

Since I am getting groceries every 10 days I have gotten much better at planning and we do not waste anything! This is compared to going a couple times a week and buying items more impulsively. And I like shopping online-again, easier sticking to better choices. I will take advantage of this especially during the winter.

yes the forced planning has been good and now that I have a separate freezer - and pre-prepped some meals - I can't tell you how much I have loved just being able to re-heat soup from me freezer for dinner some nights! So I will be keeping up a stocked freezer moving forward also.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/S9iMXx6Lqrr5mJoMxC" width="480" height="400" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Its Woohoo Wednesday - What has got you dancing on the tables today??
I have no idea why the imbedding code is showing up for the GIF - clearly I'm not that computer savy yet! It never used to when I did it.

My WooHoo is actually from after I posted yesterday. I went to my first "drive up birthday party." I was a little nervous, as I'm a person who likes to know what to expect, and this is all so new. - I was kind of afraid it was going to be awkward, or I would end up sad. But the kids were really excited, and we got to stop and talk (at a distance, of course) and it worked out really well!

Woohoo-I started running again. I ran a mile for the first time on Saturday. And yesterday my daughter and I ran a mile together. It was a nice way to start the day!
Woohoo-my sister stopped by yesterday and I got to see my nephew!!! They stayed in the car, but I got to make him laugh and she put down the window so he could tell us what a cow, cat, dinosaur and horse say. And he had fun saying “noooo” when I would say one wrong.
Woohoo-I has my first Google Meet with my class. I had 60% of my kids. Not bad, but I really wanted to see all of them. However, I know how to do them now and will do them weekly. Hopefully I get to see the other 40% next week!

Side note - Friends is my favorite tv show ever! It always makes me laugh. My daughter started making TikTok videos using friends quotes to make me laugh!

Loved Friends! They were all so likable and endearing.

We’re having a zoom birthday party for one of my friends today. Looking forward to that.

And we got an update from the governor of Md on the reopening of Ocean City. It looks like we’ll be allowed to return in late May or early June. So that’s very good news. They have a detailed plan to reopen which is reassuring.

And the sun is shining today and it’s warmer-can open the windows!

Woohoo, I finally dropped a few pounds and am back to where I was when I went off the rails. Next milestone is onederland, which is going to take several months based on how things are going. I'm thinking we won't be working back in the office until mid-July/August and I sure would like to be in onederland by then.

Woohoo, yesterday I got an email from my local nursery saying they were "open" for scheduled appointments. I had to think about it for a little while, because they have a lovely gift/home section which is one of my shopping downfalls, but decided I do really need to get some things. By the time I signed in to make an appointment, the soonest I could get was May 18! I booked it even tho that's the first day I'm scheduled to be back at work, hopefully things will be more opened up by then and they won't be on the appointment system any longer.

Lots of chatter yesterday about the planning happening to open WDW up... looks like they are aiming for June 1, with max 50% capacity and some other 'adjustments'. Here in Washington more things open up next week, mostly recreation like fishing, golf and parks. It got me thinking about what is the first thing I want to do, when shelter-in-place is softened. Watching the ferry boats has been kind of an emotional anchor for me, I can watch the ones that go to Seattle when I do the beach-loop drive and on my walks there are several vantage points where I can look down and see the ones that come/go from the ferry dock here in the neighborhood. So I think my first non-essential "thing" will be to take the neighborhood ferry, either over to Vashon Island and go to one of the parks over there for a walk, or if I'm really feeling it, I could take it all the way to Southworth and drive out to Port Townsend and walk in some of the parks there. Something to dream about...

Last edited:

Woohoo-I started running again. I ran a mile for the first time on Saturday. And yesterday my daughter and I ran a mile together. It was a nice way to start the day!
Woohoo-my sister stopped by yesterday and I got to see my nephew!!! They stayed in the car, but I got to make him laugh and she put down the window so he could tell us what a cow, cat, dinosaur and horse say. And he had fun saying “noooo” when I would say one wrong.
Woohoo-I has my first Google Meet with my class. I had 60% of my kids. Not bad, but I really wanted to see all of them. However, I know how to do them now and will do them weekly. Hopefully I get to see the other 40% next week!

Side note - Friends is my favorite tv show ever! It always makes me laugh. My daughter started making TikTok videos using friends quotes to make me laugh!
I had my first Microsoft TEAMs meeting today. One student joined the meeting. Her mother teaches 8th grade in my school, so I knew that I would have her. The rest haven't figured out to join yet even though the information was sent to them 10 days ago with training videos etc. So, I wanted to keep the first meeting fun and casual. So we were chatting, then we sang "Skidamarink a dink a dink" and in the middle of singing, my principal joined the meeting. Surprise! My blood pressure went through the roof. So, this casual meeting with my student turned into an OBSERVATION. Woo Hoo! NOT. I quickly got into teacher mode and grabbed plan B, THE GROUCHY LADYBUG, By Eric Carle, and started reading. Halfway through, my principal left the meeting. My student and I both relaxed and finished the story. Then, it was over. I have to do this every day until summer. She is a real smarty, so if nobody else joins us, I guess I will create some enrichment activities for her to make the most of our time together.

So, now that I have calmed down, I will be taking it easy for the rest of the day, except for my last email of the day.

Woo Hoo! It is hump day!

That's all I've got.

Something to dream about...

Oh that sounds so nice - definitely a good dream :) and we all need those right now.

Great woohoos everyone - to me they reflected the ways we are able to adapt to these changes - we are making the best of it - drive by and zoom parties, appointments to shop for plants and feel good things for our homes and even a principal still doing observations popping into virtual classes!

It is almost May - April kind of flew by even though life slowed down considerably :)

We need some host volunteers for our weeks of May:
4-10th:
11-17th:
18-24th:
25-31st:

Thankful Thursday ...

I read an article yesterday, an interview with a woman who had spent a long time isolated at home and hospital whilst she fought cancer. Her advice about our self-isolation at the moment was to think about our smaller bubble and let go of the wider world for a while. Focus on the smaller things and enrich those for example if you have the time and you are making a sandwich - don't just throw together a sandwich - make it the best yummiest sandwich you can make. Bring beauty and comfort into your bubble - if you hate the feel of your sheets - get yourself some luxurious sheets you can snuggle in...

So with that in mind what are the smaller things that may tend to overlook in your small bubble that you are thankful for today...

So with that in mind what are the smaller things that may tend to overlook in your small bubble that you are thankful for today...
I am thankful for:
DDs goldfish - they live in the lounge room - it is relaxing to look over and watch them swim around. DD got into Grey's Anatomy this year and their names are Sloan and Lexie!
A comfy bed to climb into every night
The baked salmon and asparagus dinner I had tonight - especially because I didn't cook it :rotfl:

Well, our freezer stopped working yesterday. And I thought what a terrible time for this to happen. We had just gone to Bjs and stocked up for the next few weeks. But in the midst of it I changed my thought in that. I was thankful it happened at this time. We were all home. Everyone worked together to quickly clean out and organize our fridge freezers to make everything else fit in those with the exception of two frozen pizzas which we made for lunch yesterday. So I was thankful for everyone being home and for the flexibility of our time to handle the situation before all the food went bad!

In school, our last kindergarten science unit is on animals (fish, snails, worms, bugs). Normally our budget allows for our classrooms to get goldfish, guppies, 2 kinds of pond snails, earthworms, red worms, pill bugs and sow bugs.The kids enjoy because they observe two types of the same animal ( 2 fish, 2 worms, etc). As a teacher, I am usually focused on the management of it. Anyway, we are supposed to start the unit next week. So Monday I started planning hv for next week and it just felt wrong to do this unit without the animals. So I bought a goldfish, minnow, and snail. But the snail was a tropical snail and needed warm water. The next thing I know, I now have an aquarium in my home office! I sat watching them yesterday, just amazed with the snail’s movement along the sand and then up the glass. And how the fish seemed to play in the waterfall from the filter. Thankful for my new hobby and appreciations of my science unit.

Lastly, I have scheduled a drive by with my students and will be delivering cups of planted flower seeds to my students. We normally would have done this a few weeks with our reading unit on plants and in preparation for Mother’s Day. But we are just doing the books this week due to the delay with everything. So I am making a video of me planting seeds today. Then I will do a contactless delivery of these cups on Saturday. Parents received an email and I will follow up again Saturday morning with another email going over the guidelines of staying inside while I deliver the cup (wearing mask & gloves of course) and then they can step outside when I get in my car. We can say hi and quick chat if they stay by their door. I’m thankful for this opportunity and find it interesting how the seeing someone in person (not on a screen) has so much power to uplift the spirit.

It’s so hard when they don’t show up! I popped onto a Meet session for speech. The speech teacher was the only one on. So the two of us chatted for a while waiting to see if any kids would show up. They didn’t. We aren’t required to instruct our classroom sessions this way. It’s just one option. Sounds like it’s a required format for you though. Maybe that one student will help to brighten your day each day.

I’m thinking of trying it as a parent meeting next week. A chance for me to talk to parents about the online activities, the importance of trying to get as much done so the kids retain what they have learned, model some of the actives, and answer questions.

Restrictions are slowly being lifted here too in Pennsylvania. This weekend golf courses, private campgrounds and marinas will open. I’m concerned as restrictions are lifted, it will give families even more of an excuse to not do the school activities, which are considered optional in my district.

Last edited:
First off, I am thankful for my bubble and that it includes a front porch and yard I can get out in to. Also, that I have a nice neighborhood to walk in, with several vantage points that have lovely views. And that we are having such a beautiful spring.

I am thankful to have this time at home with Mike. He is generally healthy for a 20 year old but fragile and my gut tells me I'll be losing him at some point his year, so the more time together the better... even tho he is a crotchety old man who complains constantly.

I have been focusing on the act of cooking, not just throwing stuff in a pan so I can eat. And I have to say I've gotten rather good at preparing a few of the things I cook regularly. I've also gotten better at doing little things all the time, instead of letting things pile up so that I'm in an all-or-nothing state.

MickeyMom76, sounds like a fun unit for the kids! My grandson would have loved it. So the work is optional for the kids-yes, with nicer weather I’m thinking you will find less participation.

I noticed a lot less social distancing on the trail yesterday when I went for my walk. Moms and strollers, groups of kids, teen couples. I think people are less vigilant as the weeks have gone on.

On this rainy, miserable Thankful Thursday I am grateful for my family room! We remodeled/refurnished it several years ago and I enjoy curling up in front of the fireplace on chilly days with a good book or watching tv. On sunny days I am out on the deck, so I have had two nice places to hunker down these past few weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!