Keeping birds off the cherries?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
I've just checked my cherry tree and once again the pigeons have either knocked down or otherwise removed just about all the cherries, a good 2 weeks before I could hope they might ripen. This is a concerted campaign by the little......birds ;) starting with pecking at the blossom and moving on to pecking the bunches off the tree. Why?:confused3

I've tried hanging CDs - that attracted the magpies - and tying bits of plastic bag (red). MIL tied up three bin bags - not attractive. The only thing that works is running out the soor, shouting and clapping.

and apart form the neighbours thinking I'm mad, I work so don't have all day every day to police one tree:headache:

Too late for this year but any help planning for next year would be much appreciated - we had a bumper crop 4 years ago and nothing since:mad:

TIA

I don't have any answers. The same thing has happened to me, with cherries, blueberries and strawberries. Once I tried netting, but birds, robins, caught their wings in the netting and I just couldn't bear that happening.

For whatever reason, birds do not bother raspberries, and I'm enjoying a bumper crop this year.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I have dogs, so we don't have bird problems. The older of our pair of labs has been known to get a mouth full of tailfeathers when a bird is a hair too slow in noticing him, and amazingly enough, the birds seem to have learned that our yard is a dangerous place full of snapping dog teeth. :rotfl: My fruit trees are dwarfs, though, and still young. I don't know that they'll be so easily deterred when the goodies are well out of the dogs' reach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter