Keeping Frozen Items Frozen - Cooler Question

SDSorority

Traumatized by Magic Journeys and Haunted Mansion
Hi everyone! How do you keep your frozen food frozen in the cooler? I've seen some folks get dry ice, but dry ice scares me :rotfl: :eek:. Do you use special freezer cold packs? Change out ice every day? Tips and suggestions welcome!!

I luckily have a second fridge in my outside kitchen so I only bring a cooler if I bring a large amount of a frozen meat for a group cooking. Otherwise my outdoor fridge is my cooler.

Dry ice is the best option in my opinion, next to that it's daily ice changes. But the best way i ever found was the dry ice.

Why the fear of the dry ice?

Dry ice is FUN, you just need some common sense. Just a basic pair of leather gloves is good. (unless you are handling it a LOT). Just don't put a piece in a plastic soda bottle and add a little water and put the lid on tight.... If you do this by accident, then be sure to get a fair bit of distance between you and that bottle.

Seriously though, it's just really cold. As long as you are not holding it for an extended period (with gloves of course), it's quite safe as long as you don't put it in an air tight container. Unlike regular ice, there is no water or residue. It completely evaporates in the air.

My next question is what are you keeping frozen and how long do you need to keep it frozen? I have found that if you "Pre-cool" your cooler and put your frozen food in (keeping the cooler as FULL as possible) and some other common sense precautions, (keeping cooler out of sun. Only going in the cooler for as long as necessary) you will find that most coolers will do an excellent job at keeping the food cold and frozen for a long period. Also most foods are better cooked "Defrosted" so unless you are planning on bringing food for a LONG trip or planning on bringing a significant amount of extra food (as a "just in case) you probably won't need much extra refrigeration. Just my 2 cents.

After a week-long summer trip with 4 coolers, we invested in a dorm-size fridge that has a separate freezer compartment (not inside the fridge part). It fits standing up in our Suburban for travel and the freezer holds enough meat for the 6 of us for 4-5 days. The fridge part holds all the other food and we just keep one cooler for ice for drinks and sometimes one for cold drinks. We set it up under our easy up. It just grossed me out the bloody water as the meats went thawing and since we always camp in Florida, it's always hot and ice doesn't really last past a day and a half. We have a popup so no other refrigeration available.

Seriously though, it's just really cold. As long as you are not holding it for an extended period (with gloves of course), it's quite safe as long as you don't put it in an air tight container. Unlike regular ice, there is no water or residue. It completely evaporates in the air.

My next question is what are you keeping frozen and how long do you need to keep it frozen? I have found that if you "Pre-cool" your cooler and put your frozen food in (keeping the cooler as FULL as possible) and some other common sense precautions, (keeping cooler out of sun. Only going in the cooler for as long as necessary) you will find that most coolers will do an excellent job at keeping the food cold and frozen for a long period. Also most foods are better cooked "Defrosted" so unless you are planning on bringing food for a LONG trip or planning on bringing a significant amount of extra food (as a "just in case) you probably won't need much extra refrigeration. Just my 2 cents.

Paul, as our Invertor in our Fifth Wheel does not work the entire distance from Wisconsin to Florida, with two nights in hotels (cold weather camping - late December departure), will it be safe to put a chunk of dry ice in our residential refrigerator for our drive to Florida. (I know, Forest River, we are still under the two year warranty). We have contemplated using dry ice on our trip this December. Last December, our freezer food kept frozen, but our temp in the refrigerator was 58 degrees. Like others, I like to bring my food with my food price down to Disney! Any helpful information would be useful. Thank you.

seen some folks get dry ice, but dry ice scares me

1) Dry ice is no dangerous, unless
. . .. you touch it without insulated (oven) mitts
. . . stick you head into the cooler
2) We use it all the time.
3) Our best recommendations
. . . use an ice chest
. . . surround the ice chest with a blanket for added insulting
. . . do not shut or lock the top of the cooler (air must escape, or POW, BAM!!)

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I figured you all were the experts! We're bringing a lot (LOT) of cooked frozen meat on our next trip, but we're not camping... we're staying at the Boardwalk. (Don't laugh...). We're going to be in a DVC Studio Villa, and the mini-fridge has the tiniest freezer compartment that hardly anything bigger than a box of frozen waffles fits in. So we were looking for an alternative way to keep the meat frozen in the room, since we'll be staying for a week and because of food allergies and an autoimmune condition, need to bring our own food. I'm thinking we can keep one day's worth of meat "thawed" in the fridge, one day's worth in the tiny freezer compartment, and keep the rest in the cooler, rotating it each day.

For those that rotate ice- how often do you do that? Once a day? Once at breakfast and once at dinner?

If the cooler is in doors with ac going it should last longer, but iIwould still say daily.

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I figured you all were the experts! We're bringing a lot (LOT) of cooked frozen meat on our next trip, but we're not camping... we're staying at the Boardwalk. (Don't laugh...). We're going to be in a DVC Studio Villa, and the mini-fridge has the tiniest freezer compartment that hardly anything bigger than a box of frozen waffles fits in. So we were looking for an alternative way to keep the meat frozen in the room, since we'll be staying for a week and because of food allergies and an autoimmune condition, need to bring our own food. I'm thinking we can keep one day's worth of meat "thawed" in the fridge, one day's worth in the tiny freezer compartment, and keep the rest in the cooler, rotating it each day.

For those that rotate ice- how often do you do that? Once a day? Once at breakfast and once at dinner?

I do not know if this possible - you would have to write Disney (perhaps their special diets people?) and ask... but....

Bell services at the resorts have freezers (and fridges). I know this because our Garden Grocer delivery sometimes includes frozen, refrigerated, and normal things. The frozen things are held in a freezer, the cold in a fridge and the rest just held.

I wonder if, since the requirement is due to special dietary needs, you would be able to make arrangements for Bell Services to hold the frozen items for you and e.g. each morning or evening you retrieve the day's worth for the fridge in the room ? If you pre-packaged everything by day it would make it even easier.

Another option which is a variation: I use Techni-Ice reusable ice sheets and find they work VERY well at keeping things cold: http://www.techniice.com/ The sheets take a bit of work to get them primed, and they need to deep freeze for a few days for maximum effectiveness. If you were to have a bunch of them (say three days worth) and you rotated them with Bell Services freezing the two days worth you are not actively using, that might also be a solution. And it may be more feasible since they are freezing the ice sheets not actual food. TechniIce also sells excellent coolers intended for keeping things cold more effectively and for longer than normal coolers (see their website for info). Yeti coolers are also apparently very good. I can;t speak to which is better, but online reviews and comparisons may give you an indication.

Like I said, I do not know if they would actually do this, but it can't hurt to ask and if they say yes it seems it would solve your problem. They may also have other solutions/suggestions that would work.

Some other ideas that avoid the frozen issue altogether: hit the grocery store for fresh meats and then prepare them using the microwave or e.g. a crockpot you bring. Package the leftovers in containers and store in the fridge -- they will last a couple days. Of course, that option shifts the preparing of food to during the vacation instead of before, which may not be desirable. But something like a crockpot makes it much easier -- dump the ingredients in, turn it on, and hours later there is a nice meal and leftovers waiting. If we were driving I know this is an option I would use, as it is much easier and safer to prepare my own meals with multiple food allergies. At home we are able to get fresh chicken breasts and ground beef and beef stewing cubes that are in vacuum sealed pouches which last much longer than normal fresh meats in the fridge (they also are freezer ready as is if desired).

SW

:disrocks::wave::love:

Thank you all! This thread has been so helpful in giving me ideas!!!!

I wonder if, since the requirement is due to special dietary needs, you would be able to make arrangements for Bell Services to hold the frozen items for you and e.g. each morning or evening you retrieve the day's worth for the fridge in the room ?

1) From REAL personal experience, the fridge's and freezer's are for deliveries.
2) I have NEVER heard of Bell Services keeping frozen food during the visit for guests.
3) The units are not big enough to hold all the requests that would come from a resort full of guests.
4) Besides, Disney wants you to eat at THEIR restaurants, not keep food for your own cooking/prep.
5) Profit-is-Profit, and storing food for guests generate no profit(s).

1) From REAL personal experience, the fridge's and freezer's are for deliveries.
2) I have NEVER heard of Bell Services keeping frozen food during the visit for guests.
3) The units are not big enough to hold all the requests that would come from a resort full of guests.
4) Besides, Disney wants you to eat at THEIR restaurants, not keep food for your own cooking/prep.
5) Profit-is-Profit, and storing food for guests generate no profit(s).

SO I emailed Disney!! This is what they replied:

----------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

I reached out to some of our cast members with the Disney's Boardwalk Villa about your specific situation. The studio has a small refrigerator, which may not be able to freeze. The cast members at the resort can have your items kept frozen and a quick call to the bell hop can have them delivered to you. If you call 407-934-8000 , a cast member with Boardwalk Villas, can also double check, and not in your reservation the needs you have for the frozen items.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

-------------------------------------------

It appears that having bell services keep our food frozen is an option! I'm not sure how convenient that's going to be, but at least I know that they'd be willing to do it!

After a week-long summer trip with 4 coolers, we invested in a dorm-size fridge that has a separate freezer compartment (not inside the fridge part). It fits standing up in our Suburban for travel and the freezer holds enough meat for the 6 of us for 4-5 days. The fridge part holds all the other food and we just keep one cooler for ice for drinks and sometimes one for cold drinks. We set it up under our easy up. It just grossed me out the bloody water as the meats went thawing and since we always camp in Florida, it's always hot and ice doesn't really last past a day and a half. We have a popup so no other refrigeration available.

Always put packaged meats (especially) (frozen/or not) in zip locked freezer bags - works great - keeps melting water 'out' and keeps meats, etc. from leaking! Lots more sanitary that way.

We had friends who used to travel from the beach in DE to FL every year in the fall. Each year at the beach, they would fill their freezer with fish, crabmeat, etc. When they left for FL in the fall, they would wrap each frozen item in newspaper and pack it tightly into a cooler with NO ICE. They never opened the cooler on their way. I think they took two days to make the trip, and their food was always still frozen when they got to FL. They always claimed that the secrets were NO ICE and not opening the cooler on the trip. I have tried it for shorter trips, and my food is always frozen solid when I arrive.

bump...dh and I were discussing this very thread...coolers, food, ice, keeping it cold...and it occurred to us, that the type of cooler may also be important. We just have a coleman and I am wondering if those of you who are experienced use a more expensive brand of cooler or if your tips are for the "budget" cooler.

Also please remember if you travel with dry ice in your vehicle to constantly have a supply of fresh air coming into your car! The additional carbon dioxide from the dry ice sublimating can be dangerous, even deadly, if fresh air is not added to your vehicle.

We just have a coleman and I am wondering if those of you who are experienced use a more expensive brand of cooler or if your tips are for the "budget" cooler.

Personally, mtnminnie, I've never felt the need to upgrade to the expensive coolers. The "5-day" coolers I see in the stores seem to have thicker sides.

Best you can do is to keep it out of the sun as it moves across the sky during the day (I had to do that at Gulf Shores).

I've got a cheap Coleman that I use and the cost to upgrade is not worth it to me.

My two cents.

Bama Ed

PS - now if I was buying my very FIRST cooler, I might be tempted. But really, how many times would I truly HAVE to have the extended time vs. LIKE to have?

We recently bought an RTIC cooler. We camp often and many times its in bear country. So something "bear proof" was a must for us. We have always used a cheap cooler, but are super excited to try the new one on our trip to the Smokies in a few weeks. Besides that I was tired of messing with all of our food/drinks being watery and being careful with lunch meat, etc. These coolers will keep ice for ~10 days I believe. The RTIC coolers are similar to a YETI but half the cost. Our RTIC 65 was $200. It did take a couple months to get it in so order early if interested.

I read this thread a week ago and thought everything had been covered, however, upon re-reading the thought occurred to me that you may be able to go to Epcot and visit the Norway pavilion. I believe there is a young lady named Else that knows a thing or two about freezing stuff. She might be a big help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter