Keeping teens happy

Jennifer Shull

Earning My Ears
I will be traveling to DW with my DH and my 5yr DS, 13yr DS, and my 16 yr DD. My questions is mainly about my 13 yr. Any tips on keeping him engaged and happy? He's a clown and tends to get grumpy and bored with mom and dad and my teens fight A LOT. He loves to aggravate my 4 yr old and drives us all crazy. He's ADHD too (non-medicated). How can I keep him happy and busy without making us aggravated all week.

I will be traveling to DW with my DH and my 5yr DS, 13yr DS, and my 16 yr DD. My questions is mainly about my 13 yr. Any tips on keeping him engaged and happy? He's a clown and tends to get grumpy and bored with mom and dad and my teens fight A LOT. He loves to aggravate my 4 yr old and drives us all crazy. He's ADHD too (non-medicated). How can I keep him happy and busy without making us aggravated all week.

Have a talk with your son about these issues. Tell him you expect him to let you know if he needs a break, before he starts pissing off his siblings.

Set expectations beforehand, and follow through with the consequences. One warning, maybe two (but decide before the trip) and then it's back to the room with one adult. In the room there's no TV, electronics, etc. Other adult gets to go have fun with the other kids. If it happens more than once, switch adults, so one adult doesn't miss out on all the fun.

I would definitely talk to him before hand about expectations. Let him know clearly what you expect and what the consequences will be if he fails to meet those expectations. Make sure you follow through with the consequences. If his behavior is consistently bad during the beginning of the trip, I'd hire a babysitter to sit in the room with him for a day. No way would I allow my child's bad behavior to ruin the trip for the whole family. And I have 7 children, including 2 young adults, 2 teens, and 3 under 10, so I've had my share of young teen attitudes! Lol!

I let my teenagers ( 14 and 17 on our last trip) break off from the rest of the family and then meet back up. They had some money( Disney gift cards) for snacks, and they could ride whatever they wanted in the park we were in. We did about 2 hour blocks, and then check back in. It helped them feel in control of the trip, and helped me meet the needs of the younger kids too.
It also helped them make memories TOGETHER, that they still talk about.

Given that you state your teens tend to fight, maybe you build in an hour or two for each of your teens to go do something that is all about them. Yes it means missing something with the littles, but maybe that something is a nap.

If one adult will take the little ones back and the other will stay to close the park, let that be the incentive. You behave as we discussed x,y,z and this evening you and your sister and (pick the parent) will close the park riding only the big kids rides.

I took DS when he was 15. DD was 9 at the time. He was mostly grumpy the entire time. He's also unmedicated ADHD. Nothing we did was adequate to him. If we walked left he wanted to know why we couldn't go right. If we ate QS he wanted to know why we couldn't eat at this TS place. If we had a FP for a ride at 3 pm he wanted to know why we didn't book it for 2:30. Drove me INSANE! I'm not a hover mom so I offered for him to stay in the room if he wanted to sleep in and meet us later but nope. I also offered for him to wander alone but nope.

It got to the point on day 3 that I was THIS.CLOSE to sending him home unassisted minor and have his father pick him up at the airport. His father was on board with it. I dropped him off in the room and left him there while we enjoyed ourselves that evening. He shaped up that next morning. If he had woken up grumpy he was going to be on the next flight home.

I've decided our family trips to Disney are over until maybe grandkids are in the picture. He's going on his senior class trip in March and I'm taking DD alone the following August.

I took DS when he was 15. DD was 9 at the time. He was mostly grumpy the entire time. He's also unmedicated ADHD. Nothing we did was adequate to him. If we walked left he wanted to know why we couldn't go right. If we ate QS he wanted to know why we couldn't eat at this TS place. If we had a FP for a ride at 3 pm he wanted to know why we didn't book it for 2:30. Drove me INSANE! I'm not a hover mom so I offered for him to stay in the room if he wanted to sleep in and meet us later but nope. I also offered for him to wander alone but nope.

It got to the point on day 3 that I was THIS.CLOSE to sending him home unassisted minor and have his father pick him up at the airport. His father was on board with it. I dropped him off in the room and left him there while we enjoyed ourselves that evening. He shaped up that next morning. If he had woken up grumpy he was going to be on the next flight home.

I've decided our family trips to Disney are over until maybe grandkids are in the picture. He's going on his senior class trip in March and I'm taking DD alone the following August.

Why do parents have to point out that their kids have ADHD and are unmedicated? Is it a choice? Do medications not work? It sounds like the kids and families are suffering, and why would someone choose to suffer during vacation at WDW?

Why do parents have to point out that their kids have ADHD and are unmedicated? Is it a choice? Do medications not work? It sounds like the kids and families are suffering, and why would someone choose to suffer during vacation at WDW?

I only mentioned it bc the OP did. To let her know I understand. We don't medicate because we let my son decide since he was a teenager. He hated how the meds made him feel. We don't suffer. Yes at times things can be difficult but IMO it's best this way FOR US.

I only mentioned it bc the OP did. To let her know I understand. We don't medicate because we let my son decide since he was a teenager. He hated how the meds made him feel. We don't suffer. Yes at times things can be difficult but IMO it's best this way FOR US.

I've worked with kids who hated how the meds made them feel, so I get that. It sucks that so many of the medications make the kids feel off, although I think some of the 'off' feeling is just because it makes them feel like they have changed themselves. Most of the kids I've worked with say caffeine actually helps calm them down and focus - has he experienced that?

I was also thinking sometimes parents let the kids go off the meds for vacations, weekends, etc. If it doesn't stress out the other kids, make the siblings lives miserable, then that's great. I was wondering if that's what everyone meant by the unmedicated ADHD part - that they just don't medicate unless it's a school concentration/behavior issue. Thanks for clarifying.

I was also thinking - would it work to tell the kid he'd have to take medication if he didn't handle himself appropriately? Not as a punishment, but as a consequence? As in, "we know this stimulation and change in routine is going to be hard, if you need help handling it, and taking a break doesn't work, you could try your meds?"

I don't mean to make light of your post but I did have to laugh just a little. If someone can figure out how to keep a teen happy PLEASE let me know...we'll market your idea and make enough money to buy WDW!!!! As my wise mother in law once told me, "teen years are Gods payback for all the fun you had making them". Have a great trip.

We keep our 14 year old happy by letting him make a lot of decisions while we are on our trip. DH and I are very flexible when we are in the park, and we are happy with whatever order we do things in while we are there, so we let our son drive the decision making a lot of the time. We tell him what our FP and ADRs if any are for the day. After that, we kind of say to him "We have an hour until our Space Mountain Fast Pass, should we do Carousel of Progeress, have a snack or do Buzz before that?" "Are you hungry? Where should we eat, and should we do it before or after we go on the Jungle Cruise?" Etc. This makes him feel like he has choices and options, and it makes him very happy. Granted, he's only one child, I don't have others to keep happy, too, but when he was younger and his older sister was also with us on the trip, they'd take turns making decisions.

Another thing that we have found to be important for him: He wants time away from us. Usually when we are at the resort, he likes to go for a walk around the resort by himself for 15-20 minutes. Other times he'll go down to the food court and get a drink and refill our mugs for us and sit and have a snack in peace away from the old folks. LOL.
And at least once on a trip, we leave him in the room at night and we go to Epcot or the Pool bar or something for a few hours and he watches a couple movies on Netflix on the laptop in the room. Not spending every single minute together is good for everyone.

We are in a similar boat. My daughter is 14 (yes, also ADHD; but I have friends with teenagers who don't have it that are similar). My son is 7. It’s a vacation and I want her to be happy and we will do plenty that she wants to do and still use the schedule we have found works best for us.

It is also however, our first trip to Disney in 3 years and it will be shorter than our previous trips. I fully intend to exercise both the “stay in the room” option and the “wait for us at the end of the ride” option, whereas previously I had only used the latter. Once I put her in the gift shop when she didn’t want to ride Winnie the Pooh with us. We had missed it on our prior trip because of her and I just wasn’t going to miss it again. I didn’t ask a CM to watch her; but I told her to stay close to the counter. She ended up joining us in the line and riding. In the Mexico pavilion at Epcot she sat at the table and colored her Duffy while ds and I rode the 3 Caballeros ride.

She’s not generally contrary; but she can get in a state where she’s just done before my son and me and had enough of “being out”. For example, most people recommend a midday break in the summer. She’s pretty much let me know when we tried it on previous trips that once she gets back to the resort and gets relaxed it is really hard to get back out. In 2013, I ended up missing MSEP and Wishes after being at WDW for over a week because (going against advice) I saved it for the last night of the trip. We went to MK that morning and everyone knew the plan. Rope drop to noon, pool then rest and back for MSEP and Wishes. It had been the plan from the beginning of the trip and talked about several times that day. We had done the pool and gotten a nap and I noticed she was slow getting going. When I said “let’s get dressed,” it was then she told me she didn’t want to go back to the park. No amount of convincing would help, nor did reminding her it was our last day. She said go without her; but I wasn’t comfortable leaving her at 10. She apologized a couple of days after we got home and told me I probably should have just made her go; but I didn’t want her ruining the night with whining then reminding me she offered to stay in the room.

When we came back the following year, we adjusted our schedule so we either start early and end around 2 or we start around 2 if we want to stay into the night. We also do a version where we start at 10 and end at dinner time. We also did the night time entertainment at MK on day 3 of 7.

She also isn’t adventurous when it comes to rides. It worked to my advantage before because there was no complaining about not riding stuff ds wasn’t tall enough to ride. That also means there are a few things I have never done due to being the only adult. My son is flexible and somewhat adventurous and I would like for him to be able to enjoy a few rides he hasn’t been tall enough for previously…rides that she will likely still refuse to do. On top of being 14, now she has her own phone so I tend to give her and as a result, my son and myself more freedom in certain situations. I'll also be dividing our food funds onto 2 separate gift cards so she can carry her own.

I don't understand- how can you keep him happy and busy at WDW? Do you have to do that at home, and if so, what do you do?
And you think your kids will fight on vacation?

Put him on the big thrill rides. The most intense ones are Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios (and they are right next to each other).

I second the suggestion to send your teens off together if you feel they are mature enough to handle it.
That way you can have time with your little one without teenage whining. Meet up for meals to have family time.
If you feel like you need to keep him with your group then I would say a Nintendo DS will save your life. I have small children and though I said I would never be that parent ... now I say please just play your game quietly so mommy can read the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter