Keeping the children watered...

We buy those propel and Gatorade sticks from Walmart. they are pretty cheap and encourage my kids to drink, We have bought Kool aid ones as well. They never get colored drinks at home so they thought it was cool.
We use reusable britta water bottles. I bought them the first time we went cause I was concerned that they wouldn't drink the Florida water but at Disney it was not an issue the water they give you is from the soda fountain and its filtered so any water bottle would have done.
If you decide for the Britta water bottles Ebay has them new for half the price as the store.

It stays cold in the insulated bottles, especially if you put ice in it early! But they're heavy and bulky, to another PP's point.
I carried around the one insulated bottle for myself and my daughter. It wasn’t terribly light, but when it is as hot as it was last week and it will be for much of the summer, to me it was worth it to have cold water on demand, especially when traveling with little kids. I had the water and fans and cooling towels in a backpack, and I wore it around and just carried it on every ride. It was never a problem.

I carried around the one insulated bottle for myself and my daughter. It wasn’t terribly light, but when it is as hot as it was last week and it will be for much of the summer, to me it was worth it to have cold water on demand, especially when traveling with little kids. I had the water and fans and cooling towels in a backpack, and I wore it around and just carried it on every ride. It was never a problem.

I still used my bottles but refilled with free ice water as needed or dumped it out

We bring Brita bottles, the squeezable kind. We bring 2 bottles to share (4 of us). We don`t like the taste of Florida water so the filter takes that away for us. Then we refill whenever we want at a CS location or fountain. No need to carry heavy bottles of water and if water gets warm, we dump it and refill. The squeezable brita bottles are lighter than their hard ones, plus they are easy to attach to backpack or purse with a carabiner clip. 4 Disney trips so far, never bought a water bottle onsite yet.

I just thought of this:

With all of the sweating you'll do, you're going to lose salt. If you're drinking Gatorade or eating salty snacks or fries, etc, then you're fine, but if not, you should drink some Gatorade at least once a day. I mention Gatorade because it has more salt and potassium. Water is still your best choice for hydration, but when you're sweating all day long, you can reach a point where you're drinking and drinking but still feel thirsty. One bottle of Gatorade will usually cure that.

Water is heavy to carry, and I don't want to deal with having to keep track of everyone's refillable water bottles. I'd carry one or two (disposable) water bottles into the park and when they are gone I'd toss them. Then I'd just keep stopping at the counter service restaurants and getting the free waters there. Toss them when they are empty. You always have a clean, fresh cup of cold water with ice, and you don't have to keep track of it, worry about cleaning it out in the room, or lugging it around. Simple is better.

Perhaps simple, but incredibly wasteful creating a lot of extra plastic garbage.

I bring one insulated water bottle that keeps things cold for 24 hours and just fill that as needed. If we have the stroller I leave it in the bottom and if we don't have the stroller, I put in the backpack. There are plenty of places to get water. Most of the restaurants/QS places during the summer months have water stations so its easily available.

Funny that I can spend $6k on Disney tickets, rooms and transportation, but I'm having trouble with the $4 bottles of water!

I have a bottle with a britta filter I bring into the parks with me. I hate the taste of the Disney water, and the britta filter really takes care of it. That way I can dump the free ice water into my bottle and not have any of the nasty swampy taste.

DH and I have the squeezable Brita water bottles so we can refill from wherever and not deal with the yucky taste of Florida water. We will also ask for a large cup of ice (or 2) at QS places to dump in there as well.
I bought a Saddle pack for the stroller a few months back - it's made by Skip Hop and velcros onto the side of the stroller. The inside is insulated and it's not taking up room in the stroller storage basket underneath. We've only used it for shorter day trips so far but it is pretty helpful to keep drinks and snacks cool but still be able to utilize the basket for our other bag.

Use whatever gear you like. But make it a practice to always stop at every quick service area and refill bottles. Make sure the water bottles can get ice in them. But it's smart to find shade and shelter at least once an hour to re hydrate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter