Keeping the Magic alive after many visits

waynethexplorer

WayneTheXplorer
I didn't see any post about this topic on the Dis Unplugged podcast forum so here's my take. We all know that one of the things that many CM's enjoy is delivering the magic to guest. Something anyone can do is to get a name tag from a store on Main Street (if they still have them?) The tag I got was gold with Mickey on it and my name, if you go further back you may have gotten a red one around the WDW 25th Anniversary. Every time I have worn one of these name tags and it doesn't matter what clothes I am wearing, a park guest will approach me and ask a question, assuming I am a CM. Now I'm not encouraging anyone to be bad and try to break any rules but when it comes to general questions I see no harm in answering someone. I would even use the three finger point and tell them to have a magical day. So that can add some fun to a routine visit and your helping people out in the process.

Now the absolute best way to keep the magic alive follows: I was once at Journey Into Imagination and I decided that a small bag would be useful to carry my camera, I went into the gift shop there and asked "politely" for a small bag. The CM there "not so politely" told me that I would have to buy something, shocked I went outside to collect my anger. What was happening to my WDW I thought, this was not the WDW that I had fallen in love with so many years ago, the greed, the attitude etc., this was not right. Now to be clear it is in WDW's full right to not give out free bags, sure I get that, but it was a decline in service and that just didn't seem right. After about 5 minutes I went back inside with this thought, if they aren't going to keep the magic alive I will. I bought a medium sized Figment, got my "included" bag and walked out of the gift shop. Once I was outside I noticed a little girl and her Mother walking toward the store, I told the Mother that I had bought the Figmant just to get the bag and if she would mind if I give it to her daughter, she said yes. I leaned down and told her she could take this Figment home with her. The little girl teared up, her Mother teared up, I'm even tearing up now years later as I type this post. So keeping that Magic alive actually doesn't require Disney, it helps but all you really need is the desire to share the Magic. So go ahead, make me buy a gift to get that bag, it worked out just fine in the end.

What a beautiful story, and reminds me of the kind of "pay if forward" gestures I try to incorporate - not just into my WDW trips - but daily life. :)

Some call me corny, or sappy, or think something's wrong with me, or I'm a "patsy", but I'd rather think of it as me trying to make my little corner of the world a happier, gentler place., since I acknowledge I can't change whole planet, or any of the people in it. But I can change me, and my actions. Random acts of kindness make me happy. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter