Kelly Marie Tran-Star Wars leaves Instagram due to harassment

Jafar30

DIS Veteran
Yesterday the actress who played Rose Tico in the Last Jedi quit Instagram over constant bullying over her character Rose in the Last Jedi.

There is nothing wrong with disliking a movie or a certain character. But for people to think they have the right to harass actors, actresses directors whomever about a movie is so far beyond the pale. I love Star Wars, warts and throughout my years. But right now it's embarrassing to be a fan with such toxic behavior

Yesterday the actress who played Rose Tico in the Last Jedi quit Instagram over constant bullying over her character Rose in the Last Jedi.

There is nothing wrong with disliking a movie or a certain character. But for people to think they have the right to harass actors, actresses directors whomever about a movie is so far beyond the pale. I love Star Wars, warts and throughout my years. But right now it's embarrassing to be a fan with such toxic behavior
So unfortunate she had to deal with those idiots. Such big bad bullies acting anonymously over the internet, such big people they are. Can only hope karma catches up to them and they get hit by a bus or some terminal disease. Keep me posted on if that happens, I'll send roses.

Yes, the fans can be the worst sometimes. Jake Lloyd went through the same thing, and he was just a kid. People hated on him and bullied him a lot and it really took a toll. It's disgusting what has been said about Kelly Marie Tran. It's one thing to criticize a movie, or even a performance, but to make it that personal and vicious is just plain wrong.

Selena Gomez has been hit really hard by this kind of behavior. Back when she started dating JB, she got hate mail and I believe even death threats from his fans. Over the years it took such a toll on her mental health that she had to hire someone to handle her social media for her.

Many diehard SW fans hate the direction of the Disney sequels especially the latest one...

I'm slightly confused - fans didn't like her character so they harassed her? What did they say to her about her role?

I'm slightly confused - fans didn't like her character so they harassed her? What did they say to her about her role?

It's just angry, nasty people who get together online and egg each other on to be horrible people. In this case they bombarded her with racist comments. She's not the first actor/actress in Star Wars to have this happen.
They are sexist, racist, homophobic, and bigoted. They've decided Star Wars is "ruined" because of its diversity and because many of the good guys aren't white men. They attack and harass people involved in the movie because they are horrible, childish people who think hiding behind their computer screens and saying awful things makes them cool.

There is a small but loud contingent who really disliked The Last Jedi because they feel that it aggrandized the female characters over the male characters and that the female characters are basically pointless, except for Rey who is too perfect at everything. In the case of Rose (Tran's character) they feel that she was annoying, preachy, anti-capitalist, and, get this, not attractive enough. :sad2: I've seen and heard all of these arguments.

Personally, I just don't get it. It's one thing for someone to just not care for the movie because of where it took the plot, but I don't see all these nefarious "messages" that are supposedly there. It's like people saw a different movie than I did! Sure, there were some aspects of the film I didn't care for too much, like how the Admiral Holdo character was handled, but I wouldn't go slamming Laura Dern online about it. Not liking one character also didn't ruin the movie for me. We all know fans can be crazy and possessive of their beloved franchises, but it's getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm picturing a bunch of dudes wearing pajamas typing furiously on computers in their parents' basements...
I'm picturing a bunch of Jabba the Hutts (in personality, if not physique) sitting around with a poster of "Slave Girl Leia" on the wall.

There are some crazy fans that take all things SW too seriously. I can see them lashing out at her because she doesn't fit their view of what her character should be, or that her character should exist in SW at all. They can't really separate reality from fantasy, they don't see her as herself they see her as her character. I didn't see the movie so I'm not sure if her character was a damsel in distress or a strong woman. I'm assuming the latter so she should have told them to **** off and get a life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!