Kelly Marie Tran-Star Wars leaves Instagram due to harassment

People are getting worse and worse and not just online. I can't begin to understand being so vicious to someone.

The effort to which some people will go to be hateful continues to amaze me.

It's crazy....the only thing I can possibly attribute it to is that they somehow feel better about themselves if they tear down someone else.

MJ

Nah, you were right.
From looking at which posters are commenting on what and what their comments are, it's obvious what really going on with the whole thing. There's a big part of it we can't really talk about here. There is a reason posters who always come from a certain point of view are not commenting on the harassment itself. When you can't outright defend what you want to defend, deflect.

People are getting worse and worse and not just online. I can't begin to understand being so vicious to someone.

I will say that a majority of the people that make these comments online, really wouldn't have the stones to say this to someone face to face

I will say that a majority of the people that make these comments online, really wouldn't have the stones to say this to someone face to face
No they wouldn't and it is why I don't ever read the comments under news stories or on YouTube and places like that. The Internet is just a modern day Mos Eisley...see what I did there. :duck:

Some of the worst things from these trolls (forum rules prevent me from saying worse) I saw was Rian Johnson was responsible for Carrie Fishers death

How many times does it have to be repeated...She drowned in moonlight, strangled by her bra. Geez.

I had just read something about the problems with road rage lately. I agree that most of the creeps hide in the shadows though.

Loan Tran...aka Kelly Marie Tran speaks up after she left social media platforms due to harassment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/m...arie-tran.html

I did want to comment on one thing. A lot of people are saying that the only reason she was attacked on social media was racism. I disagree, I think it was a few factors. Sure, racism could be a part of it, but I think it was:

1.) Piling on...they hated other parts of the movie, so they're attacking everything associated with "ruining their childhood"
2.) She wasn't the cute/beautiful sidekick. Honestly I think she looks fine and felt like your average person. I also liked her hairstyle, and she is actually stunning in other photos I've seen of her.
3.) Upset with her character arc, script. There's some silly stuff that happens between her and Finn, especially the ending.
4.) Yes, racism
5.) a combination of some or all of the above things.

A lot of people for some reason can't separate the actor from the character and say stupid things. I feel so bad for Loan and especially after she was so excited to be part of the Star Wars universe, after being a life long fan. To see her dream being slowly destroyed by internet trolls is saddening.

Her drivers license and passport information were posted online, and her iCloud account was hacked and personal photos posted online. Along with an avalanche of photoshopped obscene photos, fake anti-gay tweets posted in her name, and truly vile threats. It was horrific, it went on for a long time, and it was organized.

All because she was in a movie they didn’t like.

And they didn't like the movie because it had a female and nonwhite main character.

Finally got around to watching this last week after a rewatch of awakens. The diversity onscreen hit me hard at one point- it means so much to see protagonists that aren't white males. Don't misunderstand- they are represented as well and I have no issues with that- it's just really great to see something different in a blockbuster franchise like Star Wars.

I have avoided the complaints, however this backlash against change, diversity, and especially women isn't new- particularly in the nerdier community. Gamergate anyone? Toxic geek masculinity presented in shows like Big Bang Theory or films like Revenge of the Nerds, etc.?

It's an unfortunate reality, but the fact is she played a lead role in a highly viewed major box office film. That matters. The threats, the hate, the fear of "others" encroaching on sacred space- that doesn't as much. Of course doxing and online bullying has repercussions- but it doesn't undo the new films.

I really liked the film and the direction they are taking it. Some of the messages apply here too- there's power in balance, heroes/power are dangerous, and representation is important. It may be our only hope. ;)

they feel that she was annoying, preachy, anti-capitalist,
I agree with this stuff about her character, personally. There was also zero connection/chemistry between her and the Finn character onscreen IMO. She was pivotal in a portion of that movie that IMO if cut would have improved it a great deal. I think a lot about her role didn't work at all. I liked a lot in TLJ, and disliked some stuff, including her character. I tag studio, writer, director for this stuff -- not an actress.

But to bully an actress -- or ANYONE involved for that matter -- because of a character she played?? Crazy and pathetic... and there's a lot of that online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter