Kennedy space center - bus tour

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
Im assuming the bus tour is still cancelled? Any word on when it is starting again? How long would it take to just see the visitor center?

I went recently - only the Saturn 5 part of the bus tour was running. Crowds are VERY low. We thought we'd only spend 6hours there but there really is a lot to see and we nearly left at closing after arriving at about 10 am. We missed a few things too. We also did lunch with an astronaut - that was a nice touch.

How old were your children for lunch with an astronaut? How much was the lunch per person? Did you reserve ahead?
Did they charge full bus tour price if only seeing Saturn 5 part?

Our kids are 6 and 9. They were'nt overyly thrilled with meeting the astonaut. The 9 year old did fine. My 6 year old was "active", although she did ok too actually.
THe lunch comes as a combo ticket with your admission to the center. I believe it is about 25 - 30.00 more than a regular ticket for adults- ...you can get the prices direct from kennedyspacecenter.com or spacecoast.com
The lunch is chicken (a lot of it), mixed vegies, salad, bread and dessert - coffee, tea.
Kids have the option of the above or we were also offered spagetti and meatballs or pizza for them.
We got signed autograph pictures, plus could take our own pictures with the astronaut. They give the kids a souviner (sp?) - it was a shuttle cup with straw.

You can see the same astronaut for free during astronaut encounter - but this is a big audience and you don't get the autographs, pics, pictures that you normally would etc... or the lunch.

My husband enjoyed it. I did too. I would say it was worth it. And the kids will be glad they went when they are older - I'm going to frame their autographed picture, the picture of them with the astronaut and a NASA medallion that I bought while there and give it to them for Christmas. ....they'll appreciate it in about , oh, 15 , 20 years.

The tour is free with visitor center admission. They were not giving the paid tour.

Warning: I was told that if shooting starts in other parts of the world on the part of the USA - the center may very well close to the public as a security measure. The guards there (at the visitor center) had very big guns on them....

We visited KSC last week and security was much higher than the theme parks. No backpacks or large bags are allowed at all. Many people were made to take their packs back to their cars. There was no reduction on the general admission even though the bus tour was only visiting one of the three areas (and this was not mentioned before entering the visitor center). We still managed to spend all day there (from about 9:30 to 4:30) and thought it well worthwhile.

We had hoped to visit Merritt Island Wildlife Reserve but that whole island is closed to the public. I would recommend eating at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville however. Go early or be prepared to wait.....even on weekdays!

Hi,
I was reading one of the previous posts and it was mentioned that if the attacks were to begin (in Afghanistan) then Kennedy Space Centre may be closed to the public.

Can anyone give us an update on this?

Thanks!

I would just call and ask - I was the one who was told by a staff member at KSC that this is what would happen . No way to know for sure until they announce it though.

Just got news that kids 14 and under are free at KSC until Dec. 21st. It's even confirmed on there website. Haven't heard anything about them closing totally.

I was just wondering - this will be our first trip to KSC -- we were planning on going on Sunday, after spending 3 days at Universal and before moving on to Disney. But they are having a launch on the Thursday when we will be at Disney. Should I opt for the launch instead, or go as planned on Sunday? Thanks for your opinions!

I am really torn over going to the launch. This is why: If we go on the launch day (The launch is at 8:00 p.m.) I was told alot of things at the Visitor Center would be closed. I have also read if we drive down just for the launch -- we still need to leave the Orlando area around 3:00 p.m. -- to get to a viewing site. So here's my dilemma -- we go Sunday - to the KSC complex and return Thursday for the launch -- takes 2 days out of Disney. Or we chose either Sunday or Thursday.

Guess I'm looking on opinions as far as what to see -- crowds, and traffic. Also good viewing locations....easy to get to.

Thanks!

Luv 2 Plan,
Kennedy Space Center is kind of neat and the visitor center now has several programs geared towards kids, but to take two days out of your Disney trip - I don't know if I would do it. We went to KSC this last time but we didn't do Disney - we did things like SeaWorld and Discovery Cove and then KSC -
Also, keep in mind that they may still have one of the roads closed that goes to KSC due to the recent threats - we had to take the LONG way around to get to the center - took about 30 - 40 min. from our hotel on Cocoa Beach. You will have to call the visitor center and ask which road is closed - I think it's the Merrit Island/ KSC exit . You can still get there but it takes much longer.
Watching a launch includes a lot of waiting - and it does get cancelled from time to time at the last minute. Just think about what you really want to do.

If you've never been to the KSC, I think you and your family will probably get more out of the Center itself (an all-day attraction, IMHO) than just the launch (and the drive out from Orlando can be horrendous). If there is a chance you will be back in the next few years, think about trying to fit a shuttle launch in then as there are obviously several a year. However, having said all that, a launch is monumentally spectacular and I would be really hard-pushed to decide myself, even having been to KSC 10 or 12 times.

If you can, do Disney on Sunday and KSC on Thursday. You'll avoid the worst traffic by already being at KSC, and wouldn't have wasted a trip if the launch is canceled. I would make every attempt to see the launch. I really hope this works out for you, it's awesome.

Alice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter