Kentucky Derby 145!

Very disappointed. Althought Maximum Security was not my pick for winner, I don't think that he should have been disqualified. But I am not a Steward, and I am pretty sure they didn't want to have to be the ones to make that call either. My pick, Tacitus came in 4'th, so I will just be happy with that finish.

The local Louisville news station took back over coverage after NBC signed off, and they televised the news conference with Country Hours’s trainer, jockey, owner. It was uncomfortable to watch.

I agree with the Stewards in placing Max 17th. He came over, abruptly, from the 2 lane to the 5 lane from the rail, impeding War of Will and Long Range Toddy. LRT pretty much stopped and it was a gift that WoW didn’t fall. Max actually came out twice if you look at the replay. The Stewards have to take the horse down and place him behind those he bothered in a race. If they don’t, it becomes a game of intentional bumper cars on the track and no one wants to see that kind of carnage. Was Max the best horse? Yes, but that’s no excuse to overlook his actions.

I agree with the Stewards in placing Max 17th. He came over, abruptly, from the 2 lane to the 5 lane from the rail, impeding War of Will and Long Range Toddy. LRT pretty much stopped and it was a gift that WoW didn’t fall. Max actually came out twice if you look at the replay. The Stewards have to take the horse down and place him behind those he bothered in a race. If they don’t, it becomes a game of intentional bumper cars on the track and no one wants to see that kind of carnage. Was Max the best horse? Yes, but that’s no excuse to overlook his actions.
Watching the race, I saw him come over. Right then, I said to my family "If he (Max Sec) wins there's gonna be an inquiry." Immediately after the race (when everyone thought Max Sec had won) I texted my friend the same. I didn't want to be right because I truly think if Max Sec had stayed in his lane, no one was catching him today. He was much the best. I watch A LOT of racing but I don't claim to know all the rules the Stewards have to go by. I believe Saez when he said the horse shied due to crowd noise when the field turned for home. If you know equine body language and watch Max Sec's ears, it backs up what Saez said. These 3 yr olds, they are so green yet....this is all new to them... the field of 20, the noise. Saez did not "steer" (using reins, the crop) Max Sec out and he did correct the drift as soon as he was able. I thought that would be enough for the stewards to keep his win up. But then, like I said, I don't know all of the details of the rules they have to go by.
Reading the reaction of people online, I believe Maximum Security might be the most heavily backed horse in Preakness Stakes history! LOL I know I will be cheering him on.... I will be there at Pimlico!
Baffert said Max Sec would be the horse to beat. The man KNOWS horses!

Last edited:
Before "REPLAY", might it have been very difficult to make this call since EVERYBODY BUT THE CAMERA sees events differently. In other words, as in 144 previous races, the first horse across the finish line wins. 5 different angles being scrutinized by Stewards coming to a end decision that I AM SURE they did not really want to make. :duck:

Not a viewer of The KD so I have no knowledge if in previous years the TV coverage had the Pre Race meet with Chief Steward, this time Barbara Borden and the jockeys, where I saw a basic ..... "now you men be good and be safe and follow the rules ---- OR ELSE!!!"

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...steward-explains-disqualification/1106686001/

Regardless of the unprecedented decision to vacate Maximum Security's win, am I the only person that's incredulous at Country House's finish, given the odds of 62/1 going to the post? :eek: I can't believe nobody's talking about it. My (pretend) money was on Tacitus - because I always pick a grey - and we were making fun of Country House during the parade.

So, that was an interesting finish to the race. I have to say that watching it the first time through I saw the interference and pointed it out to the crowd at my house. As soon as he won I said there was going to be an inquiry. If I can see it in the heat of the moment like that, it's blatant (the same thing goes for football penalties).

That being said, everyone keeps saying this is the first time a Derby winner has been DQ'd, which is incorrect (cue me shouting "No it's not Randy Moss!" at the television). It's the first time a Derby winner has been DQ'd for race interference. Technically, Dancer's Image was disqualified back in 1968 after failing a post-race drug test. It was a really big deal at the time and ended up going to the courts. The drug was legal in many states, but not in KY. The trainer swore up and down that the horse didn't have it after he vanned to Churchill for the race, but it didn't matter. It ruined his career.

Quote by West as written in (Reuters) today....

"We are not going to run The Preakness," said West. "There's no Triple Crown on the line for us, and no reason to run a horse back in two weeks when you don't have to."

IMO, very childish. Boohoo, :sad: they took my horse's win away so I am not going to PLAY ANY MORE because the ONLY REASON to play this VERY WEALTHY PERSON'S GAME is only if there is the chance to win the Triple Crown. So all other horses should drop out?????

"We are not going to run The Preakness," said West. "There's no Triple Crown on the line for us, and no reason to run a horse back in two weeks when you don't have to."

IMO, very childish. Boohoo, :sad: they took my horse's win away so I am not going to PLAY ANY MORE because the ONLY REASON to play this VERY WEALTHY PERSON'S GAME is only if there is the chance to win the Triple Crown. So all other horses should drop out?????

Running the three legs of the Triple Crown is VERY very taxing on those horses. If they don't need to run it, they shouldn't. I agree with the trainer. Not to mention, the entire Triple Crown is tainted now anyway.

If Country House wins the Preakness and the Belmont by some miracle, his win will forever be tainted with the asterisk that he didn't REALLY win the Derby. If Max ran the next two races and won, he wouldn't be crowned due to the Derby. It's a no-win situation, so better to save the horses the wear and tear.

Isn't that pretty common (albeit, often not spoken) with horses that ran in the KD? Seems like the field for the Preakness is always like 1/2 the amount of the KD because of the quick turnaround.

Isn't that pretty common (albeit, often not spoken) with horses that ran in the KD? Seems like the field for the Preakness is always like 1/2 the amount of the KD because of the quick turnaround.

Not running your horse because he got smoked and wasn't really in the same class as the others or because he showed he can't really handle that distance or because you really don't like the way your horse is looking coming out of the Derby is one thing. Not running because you're a crybaby is quite another.

War of Will's ownership, who has probably the most legit gripe of all, didn't cop that attitude. They've said they're running him in the Preakness.

Not running your horse because he got smoked and wasn't really in the same class as the others or because he showed he can't really handle that distance or because you really don't like the way your horse is looking coming out of the Derby is one thing. Not running because you're a crybaby is quite another.

War of Will's ownership, who has probably the most legit gripe of all, didn't cop that attitude. They've said they're running him in the Preakness.

I'm not saying he's not being a crybaby. I just was thinking if they had just said they're not running the Preakness because it's too much wear on their horse and left out the dig about the Triple Crown, I don't know if anyone would have blinked.

I'm not saying he's not being a crybaby. I just was thinking if they had just said they're not running the Preakness because it's too much wear on their horse and left out the dig about the Triple Crown, I don't know if anyone would have blinked.

IS IT NOT the intention of every OWNER AND TRAINER with an entry in the KD to complete the TC ??? To get smoked, injured or become ill and thus DROP OUT is understandable but to FINISH FIRST and then "Exit Stage Right" just rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
Running the three legs of the Triple Crown is VERY very taxing on those horses. If they don't need to run it, they shouldn't. I agree with the trainer. Not to mention, the entire Triple Crown is tainted now anyway.

If Country House wins the Preakness and the Belmont by some miracle, his win will forever be tainted with the asterisk that he didn't REALLY win the Derby. If Max ran the next two races and won, he wouldn't be crowned due to the Derby. It's a no-win situation, so better to save the horses the wear and tear.

AND if Max-Sec won both races thus denying CH of the TC might it not solidify the performance abilities of Max and increase $$$$ future value????

It's pretty common to not run. Especially with that being on such an off track it ups teh horses effort.
I would assume it would have been a good distance for him.

AND if Max-Sec won both races thus denying CH of the TC might it not solidify the performance abilities of Max and increase $$$$ future value????

Eh...that's where you start gambling a bit. It's WORTH the gamble (risking him losing) to go for the triple crown. But if there is no TC on the line there are PLENTY of other races that he can train for and have agreat chance of winning without the stress of the super-close-together TC races and still solidify his worth (and likely horse of the year honors)

Agree x 1000! As much as I would want to see Maximum Security in person (I will be working Preakness), I agree with the call to skip it.
And.... fingers crossed Omaha Beach's connections chose The Haskell (over several other options). We live in NJ and frequently attend The Haskell.

The appeal was denied today. Now the crybaby is going to sue.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/maxi...verturn-kentucky-derby-dq-after-appeal-denied

And now he's delusional. It's the 1's fault my horse cut him off. No. Really Really.

"I think when it's all said and done and all the evidence is put on display, frame by frame in slow motion, you will find that the 1 horse actually caused the infraction, not our horse," he said. "And ... I believe it will eventually show that if the 1 horse would have finished ahead of our horse, we would have had every right in the world to claim an objection against the 1 horse."

HAHAHAHA!!!

No wait. It's the race's fault.
"West also blamed Derby organizers for staging the race with 20 horses in the field as opposed to the 14 seen in other prominent races."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter