Kentucky Derby 145!

Running the three legs of the Triple Crown is VERY very taxing on those horses. If they don't need to run it, they shouldn't. I agree with the trainer. Not to mention, the entire Triple Crown is tainted now anyway.

If Country House wins the Preakness and the Belmont by some miracle, his win will forever be tainted with the asterisk that he didn't REALLY win the Derby. If Max ran the next two races and won, he wouldn't be crowned due to the Derby. It's a no-win situation, so better to save the horses the wear and tear.

He's not skipping the Preakness out of concern for the horse. That's pure Beaver Biscuits. I don't believe that statement of his for even a second. He's skipping because he's a cry baby. Better to play the victim than actually put the horse to the test again and lose.

Further, there is no taint and no asterisk. The 7 horse fouled. The 7 horse was taken down. The 20 won. End of story.

Last edited:
He's not skipping the Preakness out of concern for the horse. That's pure Beaver Biscuits. I don't believe that statement of his for even a second. He's skipping because he's a cry baby. Better to play the victim than actually put the horse to the test again and lose.

Further, there is no taint and no asterisk. The 7 horse fouled. The 7 horse was taken down. The 20 won. End of story.

I totally appreciate and understand your point of view. And I'm totally stealing Beaver Biscuits.

What a tool that owner is.

Yep, it's everybody else's fault except the jockey who failed to control the horse properly.

I have been scouring the net, but the other jockeys seem to be keeping their mouths shut (as they well should). I've been a rider all my life (although obviously not a jockey). I have the GREATEST of respect for jocks, especially the ones that have the skills to be picked to ride a Derby horse. I believe it takes a great deal of skills, not to mention split second decision making.

ANY horse can "shy" (god only knows I've fallen off a few that have gone ten feet sideways in a split second), and one of the first things the jockey said to the outrider that was captured on live mic was how the horse was startled by the roar of the crowd at that point. So, should he have been able to correct the horse faster? Could a better jockey have done so? (I have read in my research that the changing of leads, and tiredness can affect all that, as well.)

As my DH said, "Horses will be horses, whether they be nags or Derby winners", so I'm just hoping that the jockey's future riding potential won't be tainted.

(And, yes, I'm old enough to remember when races were like demo derbies or bumper cars, with jockeys and horses pushing and shoving constantly....)

Terri

Took a tour of Churchill Downs a few years ago, and even at that time, grumbling in the yards was that there should be more than two weeks between the Derby and Preakness, for the sake of the horses, and to restore the former glory of the latter (since entries are often half of the former, now).

Terri

A good read but nevertheless wrong.

Nope. Maximum Security wasn't the best horse on the track. The best horse on the track doesn't get spooked and foul.

The system is fine as it is. In horse racing, a foul is a foul. And it should stay that way. no one knows absolutely where the 1 horse would have finished had he not been fouled. And to claim he would have finished 5th at best is nothing but hot air made up out of thin air. And then he uses it to make his argument. . The 1 horse certainly looked capable of blowing right by the 7 before he was checked up hard. And to say otherwise is garbage. So to give the stewards an NBAesque garbage excuse to swallow the whistle on a whim is wrong.

Last edited:
I wonder if the stewards made a call to security to make sure they had enough protection.

Who was it swears the ref went into the locker and asked security if they can get him out alive before making the call on the immaculate reception. Mabe thats why it took so long.

A good read but nevertheless wrong.

Nope. Maximum Security wasn't the best horse on the track. The best horse on the track doesn't get spooked and foul.

The system is fine as it is. In horse racing, a foul is a foul. And it should stay that way. no one knows absolutely where the 1 horse would have finished had he not been fouled. And to claim he would have finished 5th at best is nothing but hot air made up out of thin air. And then he uses it to make his argument. . The 1 horse certainly looked capable of blowing right by the 7 before he was checked up hard. And to say otherwise is garbage. So to give the stewards an NBAesque garbage excuse to swallow the whistle on a whim is wrong.

If I may....horses are animals and even the most talented still can spook. I distinctly recall during the Olympics one of the top dressage horses in all the land REARED in the middle of his test...and still won. They are animals. While I do not train race horses, I am a full-time Equine professional. Horses don't cheat and they don't "foul"...I get that the things that can happen are called "fouls" for lack of a better term but horses don't intentionally try to cause their opponents to lose.

If I may....horses are animals and even the most talented still can spook. I distinctly recall during the Olympics one of the top dressage horses in all the land REARED in the middle of his test...and still won. They are animals. While I do not train race horses, I am a full-time Equine professional. Horses don't cheat and they don't "foul"...I get that the things that can happen are called "fouls" for lack of a better term but horses don't intentionally try to cause their opponents to lose.
^THIS!
Additionally, it's impossible to "train" crowd noise of the kind created by Triple Crown events into a 3 yr old. They've never had the opportunity to be in the presence of a crowd of that size and I know how loud it is when the grandstand ERUPTS as the pack turns for home. If you know horse body language, you can see his body reacts in a way that backs up the statement by his jockey, right after the race. They can ship them in early and acclimate them to the barn, work them over the unfamiliar track, "gate train" them and "paddock school" but they cannot know how each individual horse will react to the crowd size/noise.

Intent of the horse isn't the issue. And horse after horse has won the race without impeding. And horse dancing with judges that continually give awards based upon who has the most rep is precisely what I don't want to have happen when deciding whether to take a horse down.

Intent of the horse isn't the issue. And horse after horse has won the race without impeding. And horse dancing with judges that continually give awards based upon who has the most rep is precisely what I don't want to have happen when deciding whether to take a horse down.

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were suggesting he wasn't the best runner on the track because he spooked.

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were suggesting he wasn't the best runner on the track because he spooked.

No. You didn't misunderstand. The best horse when they ran the race won the race. And that horse was the 20. He was the first horse across the line that didn't get DQ'd. The 20 may never win another race again. But on that day and time, the 20 won. He won fair and square. He was the best. Maybe if not for that 3 seconds, the 7 would have been the best. Maybe not. We'll never know. But to claim that well he would have won and base your whole argument on nothing but hot air pulled out of thin air as that author did was poppycock. Nothing more. Those 3 seconds happened. We can pretend all we want they didn't happen and speculate all we want. But they did. The 7 got DQ'd. The 20 won. He was the best. He got to wear the roses.

Last edited:
No. You didn't misunderstand. The best horse when they ran the race won the race. And that horse was the 20. He was the first horse across the line that didn't get DQ'd. The 20 may never win another race again. But on that day and time, the 20 won. He won fair and square. He was the best. Maybe if not for that 3 seconds, the 7 would have been the best. Maybe not. We'll never know. But to claim that well he would have won and base your whole argument on nothing but hot air pulled out of thin air as that author did was poppycock. Nothing more. Those 3 seconds happened. We can pretend all we want they didn't happen and speculate all we want. But they did. The 7 got DQ'd. The 20 won. He was the best. He got to wear the roses.

Lol....ok. You have a good evening. I'm currently waiting for Illuminations to start so I certainly will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!