Kentucky Derby 145!

And now the rider of Maximum Security, Luiz Saez has been banned for 15 days for race interference

So which is it, did the horse shy due to crowd noise with the jockey unable to stop him, or, as the ban seems to say, did the jockey deliberately pull him across several lanes to the outside to block those horses?

Call me naive, but it seemed more the former than the latter, from all the videos I've watched.

Terri

So which is it, did the horse shy due to crowd noise with the jockey unable to stop him, or, as the ban seems to say, did the jockey deliberately pull him across several lanes to the outside to block those horses?

Call me naive, but it seemed more the former than the latter, from all the videos I've watched.

Terri

I do see Max Sec drifting. (saw it as I watched the race live) I do NOT see the jockey tugging the right rein or using the crop left (as if to steer the horse outward). Before the drift, I see the horse's body language reacting as if to crowd noise startle. Soon after, I see his jockey turning his head to correct the drift quickly and successfully bring him back into his lane along the rail.

Ok now, go back to the 2007 KY Derby. It's on youtube. Watch Hard Spun, in the lead, down the stretch. Along come Street Sense, along the rail, of course! He collars Hard Spun. It's just the two of them there, all alone, the rest of the pack a decent distance behind. Watch carefully as Street Sense comes over on Hard Spun, for seeming NO REASON, causing Hard Spun to bobble and check hard. To Hard Spun's credit (he was a tryer!) he restarted his momentum and went after Street Sense, but after being cut off like that he just couldn't. If ever there was a horse that should have been made the KY Derby winner by means of a DQ, it was Hard Spun!
Now, if THAT was not deemed by the stewards to be reckless and unsafe riding, and an impedement to the other runner (possibly costing him the win) then why is Saez's? I'd like some consistency, that's all. And ya, I know Pino should have called a foul but... to quote Bob B, "No one calls an objection in the Derby! It's always a roughly run race with a twenty horse field. I've been wiped out numerous times, but that is the Derby. I can see why they did it, but sometimes you've got to take your *** kicking with dignity." There totally should have been a Steward's Inquiry on that finish! How do the stewards (as the governing body) left that one slide and then throw the book at Saez?

And now the rider of Maximum Security, Luiz Saez has been banned for 15 days for race interference

I felt so bad for him when I heard this yesterday. I feel like thinking you won the Derby and then being told nevermind, you are actually being recorded as coming in 17th was probably punishment enough for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter