Keto / low carb diet at Disneyland?

shannonisthequeen

Earning My Ears
I'm fairly new here and tried searching the boards previously for a thread like this and didn't find anything. We are going to Disneyland next week and I was wondering if anyone tries to eat Keto (low carb high fat) while at Disneyland? I have been going strong on this way of eating for a few months now and lost several pounds. I was wondering how accommodating the restaurants might be related to requests for lower carb choices (eg. subbing out buns for lettuce, skipping the candied nuts on salads, subbing fries for veggies, no bread etc)? I don't plan on being so strict I miss out on magic, but I do want to make choices that help me continue to feel good and enjoy my trip to the fullest while we are there.

Thanks!

I would imagine most places would grant your request as long as it's reasonable and they have the items on hand. I know I subbed coleslaw for veggies at Flo's. I would think that subbing out a bun for lettuce would be doable, just like having them leave off candied nuts should be doable as well.

Hope you have a great trip!

Just stick to Turkey legs and skewers... you'll be golden ;)
I do love the bacon asparagus skewers! I also want to try the cobb salad (I think it is cobb) at the Plaza Inn. I've never had the lobster nachos at the cove bar either. That one will be a challenge to just eat the toppings and not the salty goodness of the chips :)

I've never had the lobster nachos at the cove bar either. That one will be a challenge to just eat the toppings and not the salty goodness of the chips :)
Order it without the chips. I'm sure they can handle that.

I don't eat low carb/keto, but I eat mostly food that my body can use so it kind of works out like that. I eat protein, nuts, vegetables. I hardly ever eat fruit or things like rice, bread, etc. I used to love carbs to death, but have found that not only do I lose fat by not eating them, I feel better, am much stronger and have more energy. It is possible to eat at the parks and make special requests. I do "splurge" at Disneyland and usually eat half of my regular diet and then some of the junkier food like yummy pasta or nachos.

Order it without the chips. I'm sure they can handle that.

I don't eat low carb/keto, but I eat mostly food that my body can use so it kind of works out like that. I eat protein, nuts, vegetables. I hardly ever eat fruit or things like rice, bread, etc. I used to love carbs to death, but have found that not only do I lose fat by not eating them, I feel better, am much stronger and have more energy. It is possible to eat at the parks and make special requests. I do "splurge" at Disneyland and usually eat half of my regular diet and then some of the junkier food like yummy pasta or nachos.

I feel 1000% better myself. I am balancing the "want to splurge" with the knowledge my body isn't use to those types of food anymore and I may pay for it ;) I will see if they will let me order the nachos without the chips or order the chips on a separate plate so my kids can munch on them. I always feel bad for the waiters when I special requests, but I'm always polite and offer to pay whatever upcharge they need in order to manage my request.

I have a few things I'm going to try as a splurge, a raspberry macaroon from Jolly Holiday is on my list, but for the most part I feel better eating this way and it's changed the types of foods I'm hungry for.

It's California and these kinds of requests are really "normal" here, even at Disney I would imagine.

That's a good point, especially in SoCal.

Off topic: But I went to Texas in October for the first time and my best friend's mother-in-law actually asked me if we fry anything in California. :D At first I thought she was joking, but she was serious. It's funny to see how others view the place you live.

Look at the menus beforehand - it's all on the park web site. A lot of quick service food is pre-prepared (ie. already breaded or sauced).
Sit down would be simpler probably to modify the meal. If the waiter doesn't get what you're after, ask for things on the side. That always seems well understood.

My suggestion: plan to eat enough of the carbs you do include in your diet to give you a little extra energy. Last trip walking around the parks all day, sticking to similar eating style, I got really hungry and didn't find anything I'd consider healthy food around (bad planning). I ended up feeling fatigued earlier than I'd expect and I think it was simply I needed more fuel. Anyway, much harder to eat healthy without a little forethought.

Take a look at the allergy menus and see if any of the gluten free options suit you. I have Celiac and many of their offerings tend to be naturally low carb. The GF meals aren't pre-cooked so they're fresher and more easily adapted for other things as well (I'm picky as well as GF). They do take typically 10-15 mins longer to prepare for QS or CS, though.

I just started a keto diet, which basically means extremely low carbs, moderate amounts of protein and lots of fat. The theory is that by depriving your body of carbs, your body runs out of glucose to runs on and starts running on fat in the form of ketones.

Anyway, I'm wondering what keto friendly foods might be at Disneyland and DCA. These would be foods with zero or very little carbs. In other words, foods made up of protein and fat. Any suggestions for snacks and meals? Thanks!

Just off the top of my head.... the turkey leg, perhaps smoke jumpers DCA but get a bunless burger. I would check out menus and see which places offer chicken/steak plates and you can request certain things be omitted.. example: potatoes, corn, etc.
You can also ask for BBQ meat without sauce if they have that option.

I'm fairly new here and tried searching the boards previously for a thread like this and didn't find anything. We are going to Disneyland next week and I was wondering if anyone tries to eat Keto (low carb high fat) while at Disneyland? I have been going strong on this way of eating for a few months now and lost several pounds. I was wondering how accommodating the restaurants might be related to requests for lower carb choices (eg. subbing out buns for lettuce, skipping the candied nuts on salads, subbing fries for veggies, no bread etc)? I don't plan on being so strict I miss out on magic, but I do want to make choices that help me continue to feel good and enjoy my trip to the fullest while we are there.

Thanks!
How'd it turn out? What did you eat? I just started Keto and am going to Disneyland in a couple weeks. I'd love any tips you picked up!

Anyway, I'm wondering what keto friendly foods might be at Disneyland and DCA. These would be foods with zero or very little carbs. In other words, foods made up of protein and fat. Any suggestions for snacks and meals? Thanks!
You will want to bring your own stuff that you can eat like hard boiled eggs, nuts, etc. You can get meat skewers at Bengal BBQ without the sauce if you ask. They also have a vegetable skewer, but you'll need to throw out the potato that comes on it.

There's a chef's salad at Plaza Inn that they mix up when you order it. You can ask for specific things to be omitted and make it keto friendly. Most of the other salads around the park are already made up and have some type of fruit in them (cranberries, apples or tomatoes).

Other than that, I can only think of burgers ordered bunless if they come with the option of a salad instead of the fries or apples.

No one in my family is on a keto diet, but we often are on lower carb diets because of how we feel and it can be difficult to eat at Disney. There are some snacks at the carts like carrots and dip, but I am not sure that is keto friendly.

I am newly diabetic and eat low carb. Not keto, but I eat about 75g of carbs per day. I am a bit nervous about food on our upcoming trip.

I am newly diabetic and eat low carb. Not keto, but I eat about 75g of carbs per day. I am a bit nervous about food on our upcoming trip.
No need to be nervous at all. You'll have plenty of options. You just need to do a little research with the menus posted online to see what's available where. There are quite a few good salads to be found at DL and DCA. And you can always bring your own food in. The single serving packages of tuna that you can buy at the grocery store are one of my go-to's for portable protein.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter