Keto / low carb diet at Disneyland?

I’ve been eating a low-carb diet for several years now & have been to Disneyland/CA twice since I started it. Diabetes, weight issues, and high blood pressure run in my family, so I figure I want to stay ahead of that, before it becomes a problem.

I’ve had no problem during either trip. I’ve been getting a bit tired of salads & bunless burgers by the end of both trips, but the way my body feels, when I stick with it more than makes up for it. I have kids, who happily eat what I pick out (e.g. Plaza Inn or Flo’s fried chicken’s breading, for example).

I like the turkey legs but combine it with a salad, when ordering, & share it with my kids to balance out the fact that they’re quite salty (the turkey legs, not the kids...).

The salmon at Plaza Inn was pretty good when I had it last time, and they had no problem substituting green beans for the mashed potatoes (the annoying part was in 2017 that they didn’t have the green beans but that their “vegetables” were canned corn—fortunately they had changed that back when I came back this year).

The other non-salad dish I really liked was Downtown Disney’s Brennan Jazz Kitchen Express’s Gumbo. If you ask them, they’ll serve it to you without rice.

Besides that, I bring snacks (nuts, Atkins protein bars, jerky, etc.).

Last edited:
Some great low carb ideas here! We have been following a keto diet for a couple of months now (with great results). Not sure I will able to stick to the routine at Disney though!

I am only in my very first weeks of Keto. My hubby and I are on our way to Disneyland next year, so I have been looking into the food there. I notice that a lot of people are saying turkey legs and the meat on a stick at Bangle BBQ.

Just a quick note on both. Neither would seem to be low carb. The turkey leg is soaked in sugars and the manufacturer won't give me the exact carb load but says that it more than likely 'won't meet your desired carbohydrate outcome.' Farther examination suggests that it is possible that the turkey leg is around 30 gram of carbo (or more). Someone please tell me that that cannot be right!

The sauces at the BBBQ have a lot of sugar as well (or at least the recipes that you can get from City Hall have a ton of carbo). I plan on getting my food there for lunch but without the sauce.

Of course, I hubby suggests that I should just 'not worry about it because you will be walking so much anyway.'

I guess my version of “splurge a little” at Disneyland includes to not obsess about what sugar may be in turkey legs & salad dressings (especially if I split the turkey leg with two or three other people & make sure I get more inside than “crust”—those things are huge!—and if I get dressings on the side, so I can use them sparingly). I figure that any time I’m eating out, regardless if it’s at DLand or any other place, I’m compromising, since I have little control over whatever hidden sugars & starches were used in food preparation.

My guess is that I probably still stay under 20g per day during our Disney vacations, and that, even when I loosen my reins a little while there, I’m still doing much better (mostly energy level wise) than if I were to load up on churros & sugary Disney desserts. My kids love it, because, as a side effect, I sometimes buy them special treats that I find particularly cute & don’t allow myself, so I get to vicariously live through their enjoying them...

I did 9 days in Hawaii and 9 days at Disneyland this summer on Keto, it was surprisingly easy to do. I could have relaxed my diet a little but honestly didn't want to and didn't need to! It can be done, but I agree, if you fast a bit, it's easier to figure out one or two meals a day versus 3. Have a giant breakfast (easiest to find Keto option) and take a few snacks with you. I took a few types of nuts and some protein bars in case I was ever in a pinch and wouldn't have to cheat with something that wasn't really worth it! I did have two bites of of two different kinds of churros just to taste the specialty ones while they had them during Pixar Fest.

But, I felt fabulous for the trip and all the walking, didn't tire as easily as when I eat carbs and junk, so it was worth it! Plus it was 110+ most of the days we were there, and in that type of heat, I lose my appetite so that helped. It was too hot to even think about food most days. And I live in FL and grew up in AZ and NV, so I know heat!! Our third day there was the hottest day in their history, making it to 117! Water was all I cared about! LOL.

There are tons of choices and you can easily stick with it!! Good luck!

I am going to DL in Feb, the first time since starting a medically supervised low carb meal plan. Any recommendations, besides Bengal BBQ, on staying low carb at DL?

Ok so here's my list. I avoid the turkey leg. The only place you can get snack nuts is in the Critter Country shop but they are 8 grams carbs. I believe you can also find them in California adventure in the store by the Grizzly Rapids water ride - but no where else. Here's my almost exhaustive list of Disneyland. I also bring ziplock lunch bags of of oberto pepperoni sticks, and some form of salted almonds. Also remember just because you're in a park doesn't mean you have to eat all the sugary junk. You can also intermittent fast and get your ketosis burning. You can survive a week at Disneyland without leaving ketosis if you want.

MAINSTREET:
Plaza In buffet
- breakfast - eggs/bacon/sausage/made to order omelet

Jolly Holiday
- Egg bacon Croissant (w/hollandaise) – remove bun - 6
- Grilled chicken Provolone, Arugula, Pepperoncini, Bell Pepper, Tomato, and Caper-Basil Aïoli - remove bun - 11

Market House
*Breakfast
- Sausage, egg and cheddar sandwich – no bun – 5
- Bacon, egg and gouda – no bun 5

Carnation Café
*Breakfast
- Ham and Cheese Omelette – nix the hash browns - 11
- Oscar’s choice – nix the hash browns – 12
- Sausage Links – 3
- Bacon – 3
*Lunch/dinner
- Mainstreet Cheeseburger – no bun – salad wrap if possible – 14
- House salad w blue cheese dressing – 7
- Romain salad w/ shrimp – 11?

ADVENTURE LAND:
Bengal BBQ
- Jungle Skewer - Bacon Asparagus
- Chicken skewers – no sauce
- Pickles

River Bell Terrace
- Terrace wedge salad - 19
- Half chicken – 24

Rancho Del Zocado
- Citrus Chicken with exchange vegetables

Golden Horseshoe
- Grilled Chicken Mixed Green Salad - 11

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE:
French Market
- Royal Street Chicken Caesar salad – no croutons – 12
- Half chicken – no gravy or potatoes – 15

Café Orleans
- Steak – green veggies only. No sauce -24
- Muffaletta chop salad – no dressing or olives
- Nicoise salad – No dressing or olives

Blue Bayou
Numerous lunch and dinner items fish, chicken, lamb, steak, shrimp and lobster – just request no sauce and exchange veggies for rice, grits, Maque Choux (a corn salsa-esque) and potatoes.

CRITTER COUNTRY:
Harbour Galley (across from haunted house exit)
- Fisherman’s Salad no olives – 11
- Shrimp Salad – 11

Hungry Bear Restaurant
- Hamburger/Cheeseburger – remove bun and condiments.

FANTASY LAND:
Red Rose Tavern
- Breakfast Platter no bread or potatoes – 9
- Beast Burger – no bun, fried onions or aioli – 14
- Angus 1/3 lb burger – No bun or sauce – 12
- Chef’s Chop Salad – No dressing, croutons, apples – 10
- Chef’s Chop Salad w/ grilled chicken– No dressing, croutons, apples – 11

Troubadour’s Tavern (between Small World and Toon Town)
- Braatwurst with bacon sour kraut – no bun - 9

TOON TOWN
Pluto’s Dog House
- Premium Hotdog – 7 – no bun or toppings – not a great choice but if you’re hungry…

Daisy’s Diner
- Pepperoni Pizza – eat the topping – 8

Clarabelle’s
- Chef Salad – no dressing, croutons - 11
- Roasted Turkey Sandwich – no bread, or sauces - 10

TOMORROW LAND
Pizza Planet (by Space Mountain)
- Mega Pepperoni Slice – eat just topping - 8
- Centurion Caesar Salad

Galactic Grill (in the main courtyard at the Jedi training)
- Hamburger no buns etc...

Good luck!

AWESOME list - thank you so much!

AWESOME list - thank you so much!
No prob. You're going to be doing a lot of walking and that is a huge push to your ketosis. Also if you're staying outside the park you can avoid eating breakfast in the park by eating at Mac's, Ihop or Panera and just have eggs and meat for breakfast. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!