Kevin's take on Galaxy's Edge

but you absolutely can expore the cantina - I am just reading another review of it that states "Make sure to take a good look around when you're visiting and take in all of the incredible tiny details that the Imagineers put into the Cantina, you'll be amazed. " ...

This was absolutely not our experience. Folks traveling in our group were standing on the other side of the bar. I started over to say hello and was told I needed to stay in the place I was allowed.

This may have changed from 8 days ago...or maybe not everyone is getting the same experience.

Telling people that you”absolutely can explore the cantina” may not be correct.

It was not on the day we were there.

They guy was mad as his scooter was not working or battery was dying, he was grumpy from the start and did not want to be there, listening to his rant and Petes was like watching these two guys!!!

Attachments

• The New DIS.jpg
    The New DIS.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
They guy was mad as his scooter was not working or battery was dying, he was grumpy from the start and did not want to be there, listening to his rant and Petes was like watching these two guys!!!

Grumpy from the start and didn’t want to be there?

And i thought I had kept my feeling buried all these years.

Some day I’ll have to rant so you can see the difference.

come on it was not all that bad......you liked it.....come on...... ;)

This was absolutely not our experience. Folks traveling in our group were standing on the other side of the bar. I started over to say hello and was told I needed to stay in the place I was allowed.

This may have changed from 8 days ago...or maybe not everyone is getting the same experience.

Telling people that you”absolutely can explore the cantina” may not be correct.

It was not on the day we were there.

sorry you experienced that - it is definitely the first I am hearing of not being able to walk around and have seen many, many posts and reports and video tours, etc. showing people walk around - to check out DJ Rex stuff like that within the Cantina. Definitely the same as what you said happened to you in not being able to go to other tables with other groups - you wouldn't be able to say hi to other groups like you said you tried to do. You have to stay in your group, at your table for where you will be, for sure 100%

But if you were not able to take photos of other parts of the Cantina, DJ Rex, etc, that would definitely be the first time I have seen that

Definitely not my experience either, but maybe it was because I was solo. I did 2 visits to The Cantina, Sunday 30 June and Tuesday 2 July. The first time I was put at a standing table, the second time I was at the bar. Both times I ordered 2 drinks at the same time and paid for both together. On both days when I was finished my drinks, I went for a walk around the Cantina, taking lots of photos and videos. When I was done walking around I left the Cantina. I was not told to go back to my assigned place on either day.

I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, but if I were concerned about things I needed to get around or asking where the bathroom is, just tell where the damn bathroom is. If I had to go, and you're wasting time explaining that "did I really mean bodily waste removal room?" then I may just get a taaaaad irritated in my response.

I'm with Kevin on this one, and I don't think it has anything to do with it being Star Wars.

And Star Wars never mentioned using a bathroom so I think restroom/bathroom is fine. People get nutty.

I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, but if I were concerned about things I needed to get around or asking where the bathroom is, just tell where the damn bathroom is. If I had to go, and you're wasting time explaining that "did I really mean bodily waste removal room?" then I may just get a taaaaad irritated in my response.

I'm with Kevin on this one, and I don't think it has anything to do with it being Star Wars.

And Star Wars never mentioned using a bathroom so I think restroom/bathroom is fine. People get nutty.

I think the challenge is for the guests that truly want the immersion, if you do say Bathrooms right from the start it breaks that. So I think it is ok to start with it, but you need to pick up quickly that the person is not into that level of immersion and change to using standard language

Or even just answer the question but with the term for the land, not questioning back to the person. So rather than saying "do you mean the bodily waste removal room?" just answer as "the bodily waste removal room is down that path and to the right" or whatever

maybe not everyone is getting the same experience.
I suspect this is the bottom line. And that certainly wouldn't be unusual for Disney. They are well known for being inconsistent. Sometimes it's intentionally making changes on the fly to adapt to the situation. Sometimes it's just asking 3 different people a question and getting 3 different answers.

I think the challenge is for the guests that truly want the immersion, if you do say Bathrooms right from the start it breaks that. So I think it is ok to start with it, but you need to pick up quickly that the person is not into that level of immersion and change to using standard language

Or even just answer the question but with the term for the land, not questioning back to the person. So rather than saying "do you mean the bodily waste removal room?" just answer as "the bodily waste removal room is down that path and to the right" or whatever

There are enough common terms in the Star Wars universe and our common usage of them that I think "Bathroom" or "restroom" can be used. I mean they don't call the Cantina/Bar/Restaurant a "food processing and consuming stations" or the shops/stores "product delivery and money exchange centers".

I mean c'mon. There is immersion and then there is being stupid.

There are enough common terms in the Star Wars universe and our common usage of them that I think "Bathroom" or "restroom" can be used. I mean they don't call the Cantina/Bar/Restaurant a "food processing and consuming stations" or the shops/stores "product delivery and money exchange centers".

I mean c'mon. There is immersion and then there is being stupid.
Everyone is different I suppose but I kind of like this level of immersion. I don't find it stupid. This is where we are in theme parks these days. I don't see it stopping either. Both Disney and Universal are going to work to push the bar.

What if "Emergency Exit" had a different term in the Star Wars universe. Should they label those spots in Batuu as "Distress Escape Hatches" and hope that works in case of fire?

You need to draw the line somewhere.

What if "Emergency Exit" had a different term in the Star Wars universe. Should they label those spots in Batuu as "Distress Escape Hatches" and hope that works in case of fire?

You need to draw the line somewhere.
Of course but at the same time asking for the bathroom isn't usually an emergency type thing. I also think CMs can gauge the body language of the guest. If they are rushed and look to really need to bathroom bad then I would think they would quickly help them. If it was a relaxed non-rushed ask then the CM would probably do what happened to Kevin. Guest safety is always a priority and I believe as Craig has mentioned you won't break that character unless that is the case.

but you absolutely can expore the cantina - I am just reading another review of it that states "Make sure to take a good look around when you're visiting and take in all of the incredible tiny details that the Imagineers put into the Cantina, you'll be amazed. " ... what you can't do is go to a seating or table that is not where you were assigned. There are only so many seating booths and they don't want people that were assigned to a standing table to then shift to a booth when they see people leave it.

No, you can't leave "your area" until you are ready to physically abandon it. So, you can check the cantina out AS YOU ARE LEAVING, but not while you intend to stay longer. You can't, for example, grab your drink and start wandering around. The bartenders are very clear about that. Many of the early reviews were done by media and they were given freedom to explore. It's quite locked down now. Before you go in, they have a CM go over "the rules" with you. When they take you to your spot, they will tell you, explicitly, to remain in the same spot the whole time. I never even saw DJ Rex, because we were on the other side of the bar. This was my experience on July 5, FWIW. My husband, as a solo, had the same experience earlier that same day as well as the next.

I think to some extent, they are also using GE to test out how far guests are willing to go with the immersion for when the Star Wars hotel opens.

I'm with Kevin. The made up language is stupid. In Star Wars, the characters speak normal English, for the most part. They don't have their own, established language or specific words for common things that we all know, like in Harry Potter. You can't just invent a new language and expect park visitors to know it. We had similar encounters with Photopass (ahem...FACIAL SCAN) Photographers as well as a CM at the Droid Depot not directly answering several questions we asked about the metal gift card, that left us frustrated and frankly, kind of put off. One PP photographer kept telling us to remove our goggles, and we were like, "what?" He meant sunglasses. Come on. Seriously? Stop it. At no point in the Star Wars movies did they refer to sunglasses as goggles. I was thinking swim goggles and was thoroughly confused. It just ended up being really awkward. And we wanted to wear our sunglasses! Don't tell us how to take our own photos.

I think to some extent, they are also using GE to test out how far guests are willing to go with the immersion for when the Star Wars hotel opens.
The hotel will be a different ball game. That is a specific story thing. People will be specifically paying to be in that story. I wouldn't pay to stay there unless you want to play along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter