Kevin's take on Galaxy's Edge

I'm with Kevin. The made up language is stupid. In Star Wars, the characters speak normal English, for the most part. They don't have their own, established language or specific words for common things that we all know, like in Harry Potter. You can't just invent a new language and expect park visitors to know it. We had similar encounters with Photopass (ahem...FACIAL SCAN) Photographers as well as a CM at the Droid Depot not directly answering several questions we asked about the metal gift card, that left us frustrated and frankly, kind of put off. One PP photographer kept telling us to remove our goggles, and we were like, "what?" He meant sunglasses. Come on. Seriously? Stop it. At no point in the Star Wars movies did they refer to sunglasses as goggles. I was thinking swim goggles and was thoroughly confused. It just ended up being really awkward. And we wanted to wear our sunglasses! Don't tell us how to take our own photos.
They don't refer to things as cameras, phones, or sunglasses because those things aren't in the films. Star Wars characters aren't wearing sunglasses while texting on their iPhone. The CMs are inhabitants of Batuu so they are going to try and act as such because that is their job.

Everyone is different I suppose but I kind of like this level of immersion. I don't find it stupid. This is where we are in theme parks these days. I don't see it stopping either. Both Disney and Universal are going to work to push the bar.

Immersion isn't stupid. Using dumb terms for the sake of just using something different for restroom and bathroom are.

Immersion isn't stupid. Using dumb terms for the sake of just using something different for restroom and bathroom are.
I disagree. I don't think its for the sake of just using something different. Never once in a Star Wars film have I heard someone say anything about a bathroom. With all of the different creatures in the films too bathrooms aren't a standard thing in that universe.

This type of stuff isn't for everyone and thats okay but again this is sort of where we are in the theme park world these days. I don't see it changing too much going forward.

They don't refer to things as cameras, phones, or sunglasses because those things aren't in the films. Star Wars characters aren't wearing sunglasses while texting on their iPhone. The CMs are inhabitants of Batuu so they are going to try and act as such because that is their job.

Ok, so since they aren't in the films, we can just call them what they are. That's my point. They DON'T have unique words for those things in the films, which is why it doesn't make sense to invent some now, that no one else has ever heard. Case in point: Muggles. Muggles is a known term for non Magic people. The use of the word in Wizarding World makes sense, as does using the terms "Witches and Wizards" on the restroom signage to denote Men and Women. The use of the words goggles, data pad, and facial scanner DO NOT immediately make sense when referring to sunglasses, cell phones, and cameras. In addition, there are plenty of other things they didn't choose to rename in the land, like Fastpass, so why rename Photopass? It's inconsistent and silly.

Have you visited the land yet? If not, wait until you do and you try to ask a simple question and get thrown a ridiculous response that makes no sense to you. It's not cute. It's just annoying.

No, you can't leave "your area" until you are ready to physically abandon it. So, you can check the cantina out AS YOU ARE LEAVING, but not while you intend to stay longer. You can't, for example, grab your drink and start wandering around. The bartenders are very clear about that. Many of the early reviews were done by media and they were given freedom to explore. It's quite locked down now. Before you go in, they have a CM go over "the rules" with you. When they take you to your spot, they will tell you, explicitly, to remain in the same spot the whole time. I never even saw DJ Rex, because we were on the other side of the bar. This was my experience on July 5, FWIW. My husband, as a solo, had the same experience earlier that same day as well as the next.

Well then I must apologize- this is the first I have heard this take. I have read many many reviews and seen many videos and photos from non-media days (including some from just a few days ago) that said you couldn't do what Kevin did (going to another table/seating area) but you could go around to check the cantina out and see DJ Rex.

So perhaps it is possible at some times but something that shouldn't be counted on

So somewhere the word translation got lost since we are to believe this world is from "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away". Does this mean our terminology is more recent than this old planet?

Ok, so since they aren't in the films, we can just call them what they are. That's my point. They DON'T have unique words for those things in the films, which is why it doesn't make sense to invent some now, that no one else has ever heard. Case in point: Muggles. Muggles is a known term for non Magic people. The use of the word in Wizarding World makes sense, as does using the terms "Witches and Wizards" on the restroom signage to denote Men and Women. The use of the words goggles, data pad, and facial scanner DO NOT immediately make sense when referring to sunglasses, cell phones, and cameras. In addition, there are plenty of other things they didn't choose to rename in the land, like Fastpass, so why rename Photopass? It's inconsistent and silly.

Have you visited the land yet? If not, wait until you do and you try to ask a simple question and get thrown a ridiculous response that makes no sense to you. It's not cute. It's just annoying.
We will just have to agree to disagree. No I haven't been inside the land yet but I have been tracking everything and anything about this land since it was first rumored in 2012-13.

I will know going in what to expect so something like data pad, and facial scanner won't bother me. I know that is not everyone but for me thats part of the experience and adds to the immersion. It is something I look forward too.

Having cast say oh let me take your photo with your iPhone would throw it off IMO. This is all about putting you inside that universe. We don't have to agree on this aspect and I know many of us won't and thats okay. I just don't see a problem with it.

So somewhere the word translation got lost since we are to believe this world is from "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away". Does this mean our terminology is more recent than this old planet?
Exactly, they don't have cell phones on this planet it isn't a common thing for the inhabitants of Batuu.

We will just have to agree to disagree. No I haven't been inside the land yet but I have been tracking everything and anything about this land since it was first rumored in 2012-13.

I will know going in what to expect so something like data pad, and facial scanner won't bother me. I know that is not everyone but for me thats part of the experience and adds to the immersion. It is something I look forward too.

Having cast say oh let me take your photo with your iPhone would throw it off IMO. This is all about putting you inside that universe. We don't have to agree on this aspect and I know many of us won't and thats okay. I just don't see a problem with it.

Well, you are not the "typical guest" though. Most people have NOT been tracking everything about this land for 7 years. They are not reading trip reports and reviews. They are not watching You Tube vlogs. They don't know what to expect.

And my experience with the PP photographer wasn't "let me take your photo with your iPhone." It was a PP CM, with a camera around her neck, standing in front of an obvious photo-op. My family got in place to pose, and she just stood there. We asked, "can you do a Photopass picture of us" and she straight up said "No." She was quite rude, so we were like "okaaaay" and started to walk away. She called after us "I can do a facial scan, though." This was the THIRD awkward language based conversation of that day, and we were just over it by that point. My eyes rolled so far back into my head that I saw my own brain. That is not immersion. That's just bad customer service.

And my experience with the PP photographer wasn't "let me take your photo with your iPhone." It was a PP CM, with a camera around her neck, standing in front of an obvious photo-op. My family got in place to pose, and she just stood there. We asked, "can you do a Photopass picture of us" and she straight up said "No." She was quite rude, so we were like "okaaaay" and started to walk away. She called after us "I can do a facial scan, though." This was the THIRD awkward language based conversation of that day, and we were just over it by that point. My eyes rolled so far back into my head that I saw my own brain. That is not immersion. That's just bad customer service.
I am sure something like this varies. You may have caught that CM on an off day or someone that frankly shouldn't be in that position. I would imagine not every experience is like the one you had.

Exactly, they don't have cell phones on this planet it isn't a common thing for the inhabitants of Batuu.

So are we regular visitors to this planet or are we among the first to travel to it as humans? That would point me to whether our terminology is being (or has been) adopted by the inhabitants.

So are we regular visitors to this planet or are we among the first to travel to it as humans? That would point me to whether our terminology is being (or has been) adopted by the inhabitants.
We aren't the first humans because the inhabitants of Batuu are human. I would assume we are new visitors. The inhabitants aren't necessarily familiar with earth and what happens there though.

We aren't the first humans because the inhabitants of Batuu are human. I would assume we are new visitors. The inhabitants aren't necessarily familiar with earth and what happens there though.

I think I understand. So the premise is that the Batuu inhabitants are human, not from Earth, and not accustomed to our customs/language. That makes more sense, but would be contradictory for guests that believe in creation (no more on that subject per forum rules).

I think I understand. So the premise is that the Batuu inhabitants are human, not from Earth, and not accustomed to our customs/language. That makes more sense, but would be contradictory for guests that believe in creation (no more on that subject per forum rules).
Yeah sort of similar to Pandora in a way. Residents of Pandora are with ACE and are human but may not necessarily have been born on Earth. Obviously the language immersion is not always as strong on Pandora.

The hotel will be a different ball game. That is a specific story thing. People will be specifically paying to be in that story. I wouldn't pay to stay there unless you want to play along.

But, see, that's the problem with an all immersive hotel setting. You are a big fan of SW, so these things don't bother you.
But not all people care for SW. However, some in their family might love it as much as you do. Let's have a hypothetical situation: Say, Dad, little David and Johnny, all absolutely love everything SW and can't wait to stay at the hotel. Mom, however, doesn't get it at all, but she wants to see her hubby and sons all dressed up and role playing. So, can't she just observe?
I think Disney is going to run into that at the new hotel. I bet they have thought of this, and will allow non-role playing family members to partake of the SW hotel and it's surroundings, activities. She might not participate, but I bet she will be allowed to be there and observe the rest of the family. Just my thoughts on this situation, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Not everyone wants to be so immersed in a SW themed role playing hotel, but may want to see it with the family and may want to watch her loved ones experiencing it too! And you can bet Mom will be happy to pay for the experience of seeing her family have fun, and disney will not turn down the money:)

But, see, that's the problem with an all immersive hotel setting. You are a big fan of SW, so these things don't bother you.
But not all people care for SW. However, some in their family might love it as much as you do. Let's have a hypothetical situation: Say, Dad, little David and Johnny, all absolutely love everything SW and can't wait to stay at the hotel. Mom, however, doesn't get it at all, but she wants to see her hubby and sons all dressed up and role playing. So, can't she just observe?
I think Disney is going to run into that at the new hotel. I bet they have thought of this, and will allow non-role playing family members to partake of the SW hotel and it's surroundings, activities. She might not participate, but I bet she will be allowed to be there and observe the rest of the family. Just my thoughts on this situation, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Not everyone wants to be so immersed in a SW themed role playing hotel, but may want to see it with the family and may want to watch her loved ones experiencing it too!
I am sure they will. I don't think you'll be forced to dress up or anything but the language aspect will probably even go further at the hotel.

It's not like Pandora where we are from our Earth visiting the land, it is supposed to be like we are part of the Star Wars Universe ourselves - so only things that exist in Star Wars exist there

Well, you are not the "typical guest" though. Most people have NOT been tracking everything about this land for 7 years. They are not reading trip reports and reviews. They are not watching You Tube vlogs. They don't know what to expect.

Well there is no excuse to be rude in any land - a fully immersive one or not

Personally I think an exchange like that should go something like:

CM: would you like me to take a facial recognition scan of you?

You: a what?

CM: a photo, would you like me to take a photo?

This way those that want the immersion can get it but if you don't you aren't like demeaned or anything. I am fully supportive of having the immersion but they shouldn't force it on the guest that doesn't want it

One night I was heading to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, the CMs were out front indicating it was closed, we questioned if it would be coming back up to see if we should try to swing back again later. The CMs told us Mr. Lincoln had left early to dress as he and his wife were attending the Candlelight Processional that evening. I was like, oh good grief what does that even mean?!
In my experience I rarely ask CM for help or information, if I do, it’s because I am in a hurry (I.e have a little one that needs a bathroom unexpectedly) or running into unexpected closed walkways and not sure how to detour around. If I ask, I need genuinely want their help. A quick answer is the best way to make my experience enjoyable.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter