Kevin's take on Galaxy's Edge

I think this is different because they want the guest to be part of the story.
And that's great IF the guests WANT to be part of the story. The problem, as in Kevin's experience, is when it is forced upon them.

I'm really curious to see what happens when the hotel opens. If they very heavily market it as a fully immersive experience, that will be amazing for those who are so inclined. There should be a huge pop-up when you go online to make a reservation. Travel agents should have a clear and concise marketing handout for their clients. Once you book, you should get a big information packet in the mail within a few days explaining what it is you have signed up for and telling you how to switch your reservation to another property if you're not up to the adventure. Nobody should book a room there thinking, "Oh, Star Wars themed. That sounds neat. Let's stay there" and then show up to find they've crossed into a fanatical alternate universe. It the latter is what starts happening, it'll never last in its intended form.

I really think the WWOHP has found a good balance with this. They'll use some of the language, but also don't correct you if you don't (i.e. if I say "those non-magic people are annoying" they'll respond "Yeah, muggles just don't get it"). They don't force you to use their words.

I guess I don't understand what everyone means by "they want you to be part of the story!". Can anyone explain how that's different from WWOHP or Pandora?

I’m a Disneyland local and I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Galaxy’s Edge over the past two months. I think the different vocabulary makes the land different and fun. I don’t think it’s going to change.

Having said that, I can also see how it can be incredibly frustrating for someone looking for help, like Kevin was, to have do deal with the CM trying to stay in character.

I do think that as time goes on and the CMs get more comfortable in their roles, they will figure out how to better communicate with guests who just need a quick, straightforward answer.

Melissa

I think this is different because they want the guest to be part of the story. Having the guests learn what the language is or how people on Batuu act then they can participate as well. Disney and Imagineering have been all about having guests be part of the story.

But what we’re saying is.... there’s a point where being dragged by your fingernails into this ‘story’ is actually going to retract from the experience more so than if the line was drawn a bit earlier.
People are probably more likely to WANT to be immersed into this story if they aren’t being dicked around on important issues.

Bodily fluids, medical issues, mobility issues, safety issues = these queries should be attended to promptly and without fluffing around. When I’m in a store buying something and I call a droid a “robot” correct & immerse me then- it’s not a serious or sensitive issue.

People getting annoyed about the toilet thing will see the immersion be forced to come to an end sooner, than if they just simply - picked their audience & picked their situation.

I’m a Disneyland local and I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Galaxy’s Edge over the past two months. I think the different vocabulary makes the land different and fun. I don’t think it’s going to change.

Having said that, I can also see how it can be incredibly frustrating for someone looking for help, like Kevin was, to have do deal with the CM trying to stay in character.

I do think that as time goes on and the CMs get more comfortable in their roles, they will figure out how to better communicate with guests who just need a quick, straightforward answer.

Melissa
I hope that's the case. And we also need to keep in mind that WDW and DL are entirely different places. What works in one won't necessarily work in the other.

But what we’re saying is.... there’s a point where being dragged by your fingernails into this ‘story’ is actually going to retract from the experience more so than if the line was drawn a bit earlier.
People are probably more likely to WANT to be immersed into this story if they aren’t being dicked around on important issues.

Bodily fluids, medical issues, mobility issues, safety issues = these queries should be attended to promptly and without fluffing around. When I’m in a store buying something and I call a droid a “robot” correct & immerse me then- it’s not a serious or sensitive issue.

People getting annoyed about the toilet thing will see the immersion be forced to come to an end sooner, than if they just simply - picked their audience & picked their situatio
n.

If I need a restroom, I'm just going to ask where is "somewhere I can release my urine"? Should be universal, right? :rotfl:

And that's great IF the guests WANT to be part of the story. The problem, as in Kevin's experience, is when it is forced upon them.

NOTHING was "forced" the complainer walked freely into the land and expected to be treated differently, come on relax they are playing a part and as was stated, Disney fanatics KNOWS what to expect especially when his fellow Dis'ers you included have talked about it many times, so nothing forced, one needs to lighted up and enjoy it, man you are in DISNEY!! Maybe some dont need to go every other week....??

NOTHING was "forced" the complainer walked freely into the land and expected to be treated differently, come on relax they are playing a part and as was stated, Disney fanatics KNOWS what to expect especially when his fellow Dis'ers you included have talked about it many times, so nothing forced, one needs to lighted up and enjoy it, man you are in DISNEY!! Maybe some dont need to go every other week....??

People are allowed to express their dislike or enjoyment of different things.

You do know what I do for a living...correct?

Im on a Podcast where Im supposed to give my opinions. Thats sorta the job description.

And this is a thread that started out to be about my opinions....so Im guessing I'm "the complainer".

If you don't care about my opinions (and why would you) Im surprised you've opened this particular thread. I could say that should you disagree with opinions stated in this thread....no one forced you to read all 5 pages.

See? It works both ways.

Aulani? What kind of immersion were they trying for? I'm very out of the loop on the immersion genre it seems.

When Aulani first opened, they wanted you to have a true Hawaiian experience. They wanted you to know the Hwaiiian word for everything.

They advertised that the spa had a steam, sauna, whirlpool package available that did not include a treatment. This is the only part of a spa that I enjoy.

Went to the spa and asked if I could purchase the steam, sauna, whirlpool package. I was asked if I wanted the "waapahulopula" package. (I apologize for my made up Hawaiian).

I stated that I wanted the steams, sauna, whirlpool package. So she asked again if I wanted the "waapahulopula" package.

By this time I was tired of the game and said that I wasn't sure of the Hawaiian word for steam, sauna, whirlpool but if it was what she was saying than YES...thats what I wanted.

It can get circular quickly.

When Aulani first opened, they wanted you to have a true Hawaiian experience. They wanted you to know the Hwaiiian word for everything.

They advertised that the spa had a steam, sauna, whirlpool package available that did not include a treatment. This is the only part of a spa that I enjoy.

Went to the spa and asked if I could purchase the steam, sauna, whirlpool package. I was asked if I wanted the "waapahulopula" package. (I apologize for my made up Hawaiian).

I stated that I wanted the steams, sauna, whirlpool package. So she asked again if I wanted the "waapahulopula" package.

By this time I was tired of the game and said that I wasn't sure of the Hawaiian word for steam, sauna, whirlpool but if it was what she was saying than YES...thats what I wanted.

It can get circular quickly.

:rotfl: Yeah, that would be annoying.

You do know what I do for a living...correct?

Im on a Podcast where Im supposed to give my opinions. Thats sorta the job description.

And this is a thread that started out to be about my opinions....so Im guessing I'm "the complainer".

If you don't care about my opinions (and why would you) Im surprised you've opened this particular thread. I could say that should you disagree with opinions stated in this thread....no one forced you to read all 5 pages.

See? It works both ways.

True but I just jumped in and was not the one who opened it and did not read all 5 pages, more like 3 1/2......;)

I am very aware of what you do and have listened to your podcasts for quite some time and do enjoy them, but seems like lately you are just not happy with most anything. Opinions are just that, nothing more, I enjoy reading most of the comments and do move on but this on in you knowing what was expected, a total immersement of all things SW's then getting mad when they dont stop for you is different, I am so looking forward to going to SWGE and do indeed hope the CM's are 100% on with the weird, even goofy stuff, I am sorry you did not enjoy your time, maybe a short trip later will do you good in knowing what is expected??? I guess it is like going to France and expecting them to stop with all that French language and stuff.......

I think this is different because they want the guest to be part of the story. Having the guests learn what the language is or how people on Batuu act then they can participate as well. Disney and Imagineering have been all about having guests be part of the story.

But the problem is, they have done nothing to educate guests on the terminology beforehand. If they want people to buy in, print up some Welcome to Baatu pamphlets and call them "translation guides." In it, put the "words and phrases you need to know." How hard is that?

But they didn't. They just start talking in their made up language and expect you to play along. Fail.

True but I just jumped in and was not the one who opened it and did not read all 5 pages, more like 3 1/2......;)

I am very aware of what you do and have listened to your podcasts for quite some time and do enjoy them, but seems like lately you are just not happy with most anything. Opinions are just that, nothing more, I enjoy reading most of the comments and do move on but this on in you knowing what was expected, a total immersement of all things SW's then getting mad when they dont stop for you is different, I am so looking forward to going to SWGE and do indeed hope the CM's are 100% on with the weird, even goofy stuff, I am sorry you did not enjoy your time, maybe a short trip later will do you good in knowing what is expected???

Thanks for listening.

I wasn't mad/angry/upset or any other word you care to use. I found it annoying.

Im surprised you think Im not happy with anything. There are some things I love. Star Wars isn't among them. Never has been. Never will be.

I love Downton Abbey and will happily discuss it with you until you want to gouge your ears out. Im guessing you won't take me up on that.

On the show, I explained that I was thrilled that John got to see all this. He loves it. Yay!

i described the land as detailed and immersive. Thats probably the most complimentary thing I have to say. Its not my thing.

I hope that when you get to visit , you get to live your best Star Wars life. I certainly hope that nothing gets in your way of enjoying every second.

And thank you for your suggestion. Knowing what might happen will not increase my enjoyment. Watching the person Im married to enjoy it will....but now I know where the bathrooms are.

This is why I, personally, could only take the Adventurer's Club in small doses. Some CM's and some guests took it WAAAAAAAY too far for WAAAAAAAY too long sometimes. Thank God I still smoked back then, because several times when I couldn't get out of there fast enough due to large crowds/confined spaces, a few were in grave danger of "marching along" - propelled into the future Galaxy's Edge by ME.

Maybe it's just me. But there IS a point - with EVERYTHING in life. And especially with things that ain't even "real life". Just sayin'. And - "reading your audience" goes a LONG way in this sort of scenario.

Last edited:

The problem is not all of us want to be a part of the story. Some of us just want to ride the rides, see the scenery grab a bite to eat. buy a souvenir or two and move on. It doesn't matter to me if the land isn't 100% immersive and that's coming from someone who saw the first Star Wars trilogy when they were brand new in theaters all those years ago. I love the movies but have no interest in pretending to be anything.

I guess it is like going to France and expecting them to stop with all that French language and stuff.......
I don't think that's an accurate comparison at all. Pretty much any person traveling to France is probably aware that they speak a different language there. I doubt that more than a small percentage of guests traveling to Disney World anticipate that in one smallish section of just one of the four parks, there is a different language spoken.

The problem is not all of us want to be a part of the story. Some of us just want to ride the rides, see the scenery grab a bite to eat. buy a souvenir or two and move on. It doesn't matter to me if the land isn't 100% immersive and that's coming from someone who saw the first Star Wars trilogy when they were brand new in theaters all those years ago. I love the movies but have no interest in pretending to be anything.
That’s the risk they took with this land and that’s something people have complained about Millennium Falcon as well. You have to actually do stuff to have a good ride experience. Some don’t like that sort of ride.

Exactly, and I think you've just described 99% of guests. Most will be at least vaguely acquainted with the existence of Star Wars. Maybe they've seen a few of the movies, maybe not. But that's the extent of their knowledge or involvement in the story.

We finally watched Avatar not long before Pandora opened. We had never seen it, didn't know much about it, and, as it turned out, didn't like it at all. But we enjoy Pandora. Galaxy's Edge needs to strike the same balance. It needs to appeal to guests who are uber-Star Wars fans, sure, but also needs to draw in those who aren't fans and even those who have never seen a single Star Wars film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!