Kevin's take on Galaxy's Edge

I see both sides to what they did - I tihnk one big issue is there isn't one main setting for the Star Wars movies - it isn't like Harry Potter where it is obvious that you would do Hogwart's Castle. What would you do for Star Wars? I get people wanting to visit the Cantina on Tattoine, but the rest of that planet is pretty desolate, you can't just have the Cantina. Do you do Hoth? Endor? Couresant? If there is any one location that is featured the most it is probably the Millenium Falcon which *is* in the land

Now, if they had done a whole separate park or like a much larger thing that had multiple lands and you could do sort of "greatest hits" I could see that, but with just one location, there isn't that one spot for Star Wars

It might not be the land that everyone wanted (though I am fairly confident no matter what they decided to do people would complain if it wasn't very specifically what they pictured in their head) but I think they tried to make something fresh to add to the Star Wars story, maybe it approachable to people that aren't ultra fans but get the concept of Star Wars but then also put in a *ton* of little details that the ultra fan can spend hours looking for (Including a lot of references to the original trilogy).

I just think people nowadays are so quick to condemn and complain that it is what we hear more of rather than what is good about htings
Hoth with an optional tauntaun blanket?

Thanks for listening.

I wasn't mad/angry/upset or any other word you care to use. I found it annoying.

Im surprised you think Im not happy with anything. There are some things I love. Star Wars isn't among them. Never has been. Never will be.

I love Downton Abbey and will happily discuss it with you until you want to gouge your ears out. Im guessing you won't take me up on that.

On the show, I explained that I was thrilled that John got to see all this. He loves it. Yay!

i described the land as detailed and immersive. Thats probably the most complimentary thing I have to say. Its not my thing.

I hope that when you get to visit , you get to live your best Star Wars life. I certainly hope that nothing gets in your way of enjoying every second.

And thank you for your suggestion. Knowing what might happen will not increase my enjoyment. Watching the person Im married to enjoy it will....but now I know where the bathrooms are.

Ok to be 100% honest I have not seen one episode of DTA, sorry about that, and you are 1000% right in when your partner is happy that makes you happy, totally understand that, as when I see that smile and look in my wifes eye when she is enjoying something melts my heart, so we def agree there! One last thing, if you now know where the bathrooms are now I expect a map somewhere on the DIS so I dont have to go through all that!!!

That’s the risk they took with this land and that’s something people have complained about Millennium Falcon as well. You have to actually do stuff to have a good ride experience. Some don’t like that sort of ride.

I've been on the MIB ride at Universal with a few people (they sit different groups together since there's 6 seats) who didn't pick up the zappers at all, just watched the whole time...it was a bit awkward!

that’s something people have complained about Millennium Falcon as well. You have to actually do stuff to have a good ride experience. Some don’t like that sort of ride.
That strikes me as an odd choice, too. And again, I've done various immersive experiences and things where my group all needs to work together, like an escape room, but this is different. I may very well be getting on the ride with 3 strangers. Some may be small children. Some may not speak English. The fact that their behavior is going to impact my ride experience concerns me somewhat I love Mission: Space. You have designated roles and tasks but the ride proceeds the same whether everyone gets into it or not. I'm really interested in riding this ride to see what it's like in person and how it varies from ride to ride based on guest participation and performance (not that I expect to get on it more than once if at all in the first couple of years).

That strikes me as an odd choice, too. And again, I've done various immersive experiences and things where my group all needs to work together, like an escape room, but this is different. I may very well be getting on the ride with 3 strangers. Some may be small children. Some may not speak English. The fact that their behavior is going to impact my ride experience concerns me somewhat I love Mission: Space. You have designated roles and tasks but the ride proceeds the same whether everyone gets into it or not. I'm really interested in riding this ride to see what it's like in person and how it varies from ride to ride based on guest participation and performance (not that I expect to get on it more than once (if at all in the first couple of years).
And see this type of ride excites me. I think it increases the re-rideability because of how it can be different each time.

True but I just jumped in and was not the one who opened it and did not read all 5 pages, more like 3 1/2......;)

I am very aware of what you do and have listened to your podcasts for quite some time and do enjoy them, but seems like lately you are just not happy with most anything. Opinions are just that, nothing more, I enjoy reading most of the comments and do move on but this on in you knowing what was , , a total immersement of all things SW's then getting mad when they dont stop for you is different, I am so looking forward to going to SWGE and do indeed hope the CM's are 100% on with the weird, even goofy stuff, I am sorry you did not enjoy your time, maybe a short trip later will do you good in knowing what is expected??? I guess it is like going to France and expecting them to stop with all that French language and stuff.......

It's not the same as going to France. When I get on an Air France jet and land at CDG I know I am physically in a different country than the one I left hours before. I expect French people to speak French even though I don't know more than a few words. I ask questions in my language and hope they understand. They don't refuse to help me or correct me if I ask for the exit instead of the sortie. When you visit Star Wars Land you are still going to a theme park in California or Florida. You KNOW that it is all make believe, immersive as it may be. As others have said, it isn't as if they used some of these terms in any of the movies released to date. I might have gone along with some of these odd terms if they were from the movies but they never were. Some like the role playing but many of us don't. For that reason, neither DH or I want the pilot role when we eventually get to the Millennium Falcon. We just want to enjoy the ride.

It's not the same as going to France. When I get on an Air France jet and land at CDG I know I am physically in a different country than the one I left hours before......

That is what WDW wants out of SWGE....... ;) or any part of WDW!

And see this type of ride excites me. I think it increases the re-rideability because of how it can be different each time.
I don't disagree. I'm really curious to see how it plays out. I'm actually intrigued that they've designed a ride on this scale that is so customizable, but I can also see how it could turn out to be frustrating. Especially if you managed to snag a FP 60 days out or stood in line for a couple of hours just to finally get your chance to ride and have the ship crash because the other folks riding with you didn't get involved in the experience.

My only issue with the star wars immersion is that normal words for bathroom and camera are fine. Why don't they change the word for plate or sink or road or door or entrance or ride? Using credit for dollar is cool but c'mon.

My only issue with the star wars immersion is that normal words for bathroom and camera are fine. Why don't they change the word for plate or sink or road or door or entrance or ride? Using credit for dollar is cool but c'mon.

Yes, it could get silly quick.

"Hello humanoid species, I require a post-processed solid and liquid deposit area as my previous ingestion of solids and liquids has reached critical mass over a number of what earthlings would call "hours" "

I am very aware of what you do and have listened to your podcasts for quite some time and do enjoy them, but seems like lately you are just not happy with most anything.

I’m sorry, but this is not fair.
Personally, I very rarely share Kevin’s point of views on the podcast. In fact, we are chalk and cheese.

But, in this case, his perspective isn’t wrong. There isn’t a sign on the entry to Batu’u saying only mega SW fans allowed or you won’t get it. Its a Star Wars section of a DISNEY park. And it’s not unreasonable to expect certain things to be the same. If you asked a cast member in Fantasyland where the bathrooms were would they giggle and say “why princesses don’t use the bathroom”. No, they would point out the bathrooms.

Kevin’s lack of enthusiasm for Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge has been well known (and laughed at) on the podcasts for some time. But his perspective on Tuesday was not unreasonable or “hating on everything”. I don’t believe he went into it looking for things to criticise, and in fact he had many positive comments. He went into it wanting his Star Wars nerdy partner to enjoy it. And the “not into Star Wars but will go in because my husband/son/father/daughter/wife etc wants to” is going to be a section of the audience that Disney HAS to cater to. There isn’t enough in the land to make up that 1 billion dollars on each coast if they don’t.

I’m sorry, but this is not fair.
Personally, I very rarely share Kevin’s point of views on the podcast. In fact, we are chalk and cheese.

But, in this case, his perspective isn’t wrong. There isn’t a sign on the entry to Batu’u saying only mega SW fans allowed or you won’t get it. Its a Star Wars section of a DISNEY park. And it’s not unreasonable to expect certain things to be the same. If you asked a cast member in Fantasyland where the bathrooms were would they giggle and say “why princesses don’t use the bathroom”. No, they would point out the bathrooms.

Kevin’s lack of enthusiasm for Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge has been well known (and laughed at) on the podcasts for some time. But his perspective on Tuesday was not unreasonable or “hating on everything”. I don’t believe he went into it looking for things to criticise, and in fact he had many positive comments. He went into it wanting his Star Wars nerdy partner to enjoy it. And the “not into Star Wars but will go in because my husband/son/father/daughter/wife etc wants to” is going to be a section of the audience that Disney HAS to cater to. There isn’t enough in the land to make up that 1 billion dollars on each coast if they don’t.

Honestly, I was a bit worried when SWGE and the Hotel experience were being mentioned as I felt like they were trying to cater too much to the die-hard Star Wars fan, and maybe not reach the "general" audience as well. This kind of information makes me feel that I may have been at least partially correct. Of course that doesn't mean they won't make adjustments in CM training and how they do merch sales, etc..

I can't wait to see how the 2 day interactive experience of 24/7 being part of a Star Wars story in the hotel is going to work out.popcorn::

To clarify, I'm not knocking Disney or the brilliant imagineers or the CM's for this....it's just finding that balance when you're expected to create the most highly themed lands ever made.

We got to check out Galaxy's Edge yesterday. There are signs on the walls for the bathrooms, but no clue what the names of the stores are from the outside. I think everyone knows I haven't seen many Star Wars movies but I enjoyed the land and came home wanting to know more about it. So many details to explore.

This is terrifying to me. I know how uber-fans can be, so now they pressure is on me to make sure we do well as a team? What if we don't? Am I going to end up being yelled at by some random guy? It's why I have no desire to ride any time soon.

We got to check out Galaxy's Edge yesterday. There are signs on the walls for the bathrooms, but no clue what the names of the stores are from the outside. I think everyone knows I haven't seen many Star Wars movies but I enjoyed the land and came home wanting to know more about it. So many details to explore.
Lol. No interest in a $40 drink or a $249 toy knife. Check you can get a real one for a fraction of the price..... LOl. This is a joke people... ☺☺☺😀😀😀😁😁😁😂😂

I don't disagree. I'm really curious to see how it plays out. I'm actually intrigued that they've designed a ride on this scale that is so customizable, but I can also see how it could turn out to be frustrating. Especially if you managed to snag a FP 60 days out or stood in line for a couple of hours just to finally get your chance to ride and have the ship crash because the other folks riding with you didn't get involved in the experience.
Wait. People are getting mad because people on the ride are human and have a life outside disney or star wars. Ok now I got to ride this ride and just be goofy....take a deep breath people it's a ride. Nothing more or less. I could care less how I do.

This is terrifying to me. I know how uber-fans can be, so now they pressure is on me to make sure we do well as a team? What if we don't? Am I going to end up being yelled at by some random guy? It's why I have no desire to ride any time soon.
I haven’t seen any of that happening so I think that chances of that are slim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!