Kevin's take on Galaxy's Edge

Yes I can see what you are saying about ruining the experience for others. BUT, Disney knew this and designed it that way anyway, despite knowing someone waited for months for their fp's and stood in line a long time. THEY are the ones to get mad at and you should let them know about it. I don't think we should be mad at other people, who paid as much, had fp's, etc but could care less about a make believe part in the ride. Some people would rather watch with minimal participation, and others want to be the pilots. It shouldn't be one or the other.
Oh absolutely. If you are one who is taking the ride seriously and others on your ride are not, don't get mad at them. If you really want to do it "competitively" get a few like-minded friends to ride with you. If you are riding with strangers or even people you know who just aren't as into it as you, you need to go in knowing that.

I get it with Kevin, SWGE isn't relevant to him. It isn't to me either. I grew up on the 1st three movies (the 2nd trilogy). There isn't anything in SWGE related to that except Millennium Falcon and I can't ride rides like that. I lost interest in SW after I saw the 1st three movies and didn't watch the next 3 until long after they were released and wasn't wowed like I was with the first three. I watched 7 & 8 the same way, online after they were released. I was wowed a bit, but again not as much as the 1st three I saw. Yeah, I'll watch the next one, again online after it's released only to see how they end the whole thing. But it still doesn't make be interested in SWGE or make it more relevant to me.

This.

If you were building a stand-alone Star Wars themed experience and the only people coming in would likely be huge Star Wars fans, that's one thing, but Galaxy's Edge isn't that. It's just one section of a complex with 2 (or in Florida 4) entire parks that are visited by millions and millions of people each year from all over the world. You really need to start with the assumption that most guests aren't major fans. Most are probably generally familiar with Star Wars but won't know a bunch of specialized lingo and such. You can have an immersive themed experience without going as far as renaming bathrooms. And if you do rename them and someone comes up to you and asks where the bathroom is, you should just point it out, not correct them for not using the proper themed term.
Well, I can now comment on this lol. In SW:GE yesterday I asked where the restrooms were and got the reply "The refreshers are that way, to the left of the blue milk stand". I didn't know where the blue milk stand was either (it was SO weird not knowing my way around Disney) but I found this to be the general trend with the GE lingo. "What do they have at that quick service, it looked like mostly chicken or pork?" "Ah yes, they have the TimTamDingDong, which is similar to what you'd call chicken, and the YumYumTips which are similar to pork". Kevin hit the nail on the head with his story about this during CM previews, lol. The CMs I spoke to did seem to read the attitudes of the guests fairly well though, and since we mostly played along they kept it up.

If that is literally what they said, that's troublesome. There's a big difference between "similar to" chicken or pork and actually being chicken or pork.
I can't remember exactly what they said, to be honest. It was something like "It's similar to chicken on your planet" or something to that effect. I wasn't asking for ingredients though, I was asking a merch person if they had any suggestions for fun snacks in SWGE (because all I'd seen was the funky popcorn).

Well, I can now comment on this lol. In SW:GE yesterday I asked where the restrooms were and got the reply "The refreshers are that way, to the left of the blue milk stand". I didn't know where the blue milk stand was either (it was SO weird not knowing my way around Disney) but I found this to be the general trend with the GE lingo. "What do they have at that quick service, it looked like mostly chicken or pork?" "Ah yes, they have the TimTamDingDong, which is similar to what you'd call chicken, and the YumYumTips which are similar to pork". Kevin hit the nail on the head with his story about this during CM previews, lol. The CMs I spoke to did seem to read the attitudes of the guests fairly well though, and since we mostly played along they kept it up.

To me that seems like a fair way to do it - still in the theming but if you aren't up on everything you can still figure things out. It's not like they responded with "hmmm, I don't know what restrooms are, sorry" ... they used their term in answering your question, but gave you an answer

Now, I would hope if someone has an allergy or something and is speaking to a chef or a CM actually at the food location they don't mess around and are very clear on what is or isn't in something based on what terms and words their doctor would use.

I’m seeing numerous twitter posts mirroring Kevin’s experience. One person said they had to ask a CM 4 times where the bathrooms are before being told the “refreshers” are over there. And when you walk over to them, what does the sign say? RESTROOMS! The PhotoPass photographers seem to be a problem too.

Some CMs have responded that they are specifically trained not to do this stuff but that doesn’t seem to be stopping it. Disney needs to get control of this.

I didn’t run into this issue during our preview on Saturday. I was told where the bathrooms were and spoke to a couple cast members about the small stroller/wheelchair area outside of the ride. It might have been because I’m 8 months pregnant they took pity on me. They also explained rider swap for our future little one when the new ride opens. The only odd things I experienced were more like being given the price in “credits” vs dollars.

How many times have we seen Disney open a new ride or attraction and then after it's been open a few months go and tweek it a bit in response to audience/guest comments and demand? Nearly every one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!