Key West Recommendations

Kpercyman

Earning My Ears
One of our ports is Key West. Anything you recommend doing that isn’t the usual? My son is 6 and loves pirates, animals, and history. The Fort is out due to the doll and freaking him out. I want to go to the Hemingway house. Trolley a good idea?

Thanks!

One of our ports is Key West. Anything you recommend doing that isn’t the usual? My son is 6 and loves pirates, animals, and history. The Fort is out due to the doll and freaking him out. I want to go to the Hemingway house. Trolley a good idea?

Thanks!
The Hemingway House is really cool and it's a not a bad walk from the port. Plus, you can walk down Duval Street which is the main drag in Key West. However, for a 6 year old, the trolley might be a good way to get around. Near the Hemingway House is the southernmost marker and southernmost beach. Be sure to get some key lime pie while in Key West. Kermit's has a location conveniently located on Duval Street not far from the Hemingway House.

Living in Miami we go to Key West at least once a year. I resisted the Hemingway House for years as overly touristy but went for the first time a couple years ago and loved it. I was not familiar with his works so it is not just for Hemingway aficionados. I have been there twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kermit’s key lime store as the previous post mentioned is great. We also like the Key West Butterfly Consevatory on Duvall street a lot. Alos, if you are looking for something off the beaten path, try El Siboney retaurant for authentic Cuban food and a place for locals - a good, cheap whole in the wall.

My sister absolutely loves the Mel Fisher museum and must plan a visit anytime we are in Key West. It is a fun stop to lean about shipwrecks and see some treasure. It is right near where the ship docks.

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville is worth a stop for a cheeseburger and the music, if you have time. Who knows, he might actually be there. Once in a blue moon he does a street concert on Duval St. We also toured the Hemmingway house which was great...look for six-toed cats.

The Butterfly Conservatory was a big hit with our kids. From there we walked around and got some local key lime ice cream. The weather was beautiful and we had a great day!

The Hemingway House really depends on the guide. We had one that was less than stellar and I just didn't get it. I mean it's a neat house and the ground with the cats is fun. Just sit on the bench and wait for them to come be your friend. There is a sunken treasure museum near the ports. I would consider the Truman Annex as well. But those are both pretty popular known attractions. Depending on your visiting days, check out the Childrens Zoo.

There is the Key West Aquarium and the Shipwreck Treasure Museum. My sons enjoyed both back in 2007; ages 6, 8 and 12. I checked and they are both still there.

The Shipwreck has a tower you can climb with great views.

My sons and DH went to the Ripley’s Believe or Not Museum. They like it.

We really enjoyed Mallory Square at sunset with all the performers and vendors but will the ship be there for that.

We have been to KW twice, once on a vacation to the Keys and once off the Magic.

Good luck.

Living in Miami we go to Key West at least once a year. I resisted the Hemingway House for years as overly touristy but went for the first time a couple years ago and loved it. I was not familiar with his works so it is not just for Hemingway aficionados. I have been there twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kermit’s key lime store as the previous post mentioned is great. We also like the Key West Butterfly Consevatory on Duvall street a lot. Alos, if you are looking for something off the beaten path, try El Siboney retaurant for authentic Cuban food and a place for locals - a good, cheap whole in the wall.

Is El Simony within walking distance from the port? Sounds great. We love hole in the wall places.

Is El Simony within walking distance from the port? Sounds great. We love hole in the wall places.

It is a bit of a hike, just over a mile away but you will likely do a bit of walking. Also there are plenty of cabs and it would just be a few dollars to get there. You could start there by cab and then walk back to the port. Just a suggestion.

The aquarium is small but very well done. We were a group of 4 adults and were there almost an hour and a half. It's no Georgia Aquarium, but there's a shocking amount of aquatic life there, and the staff is fantastic. Their "tours" (talks about different creatures) are VERY informative. There's a small touch tank for the kiddos too.

The Butterfly Conservatory was a big hit with our kids. From there we walked around and got some local key lime ice cream. The weather was beautiful and we had a great day!
Were you able to walk to both of these attractions from the ship or did you use some other type of transportation?

It is a bit of a hike, just over a mile away but you will likely do a bit of walking. Also there are plenty of cabs and it would just be a few dollars to get there. You could start there by cab and then walk back to the port. Just a suggestion.

A mile is easy and we like to walk, especially on vacation. It is a great way to see things.

Thanks much for the quick reply. Now I know were we will have lunch.

Kate

Hands down -- the Hemingway House. We could spend hours there each time we go, but we're cat lovers. We really enjoy playing Key West by ear when we stop here (and we almost always stop there when sailing out of Galveston) and just strolling though the town not really doing "anything" other than the Hemingway House. Of course, plan to have fresh seafood for lunch and key lime pie on a stick for dessert!!! Also, the southernmost point is a cool thing to see, but try to get there early if possible because it is always very crowded. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter