Kids Choosing to Skip Graduation?

I graduated at a time (late '70s high school/early '80s college) in the South where the thought of not participating in my graduation ceremonies never even entered my mind. However, having said that, although the ceremonies themselves actually meant little to me, I remember how proud and happy my parents were on those two occasions , so I would have gone anyway because it meant so much to them.

I graduated at a time (late '70s high school/early '80s college) in the South where the thought of not participating in my graduation ceremonies never even entered my mind. However, having said that, although the ceremonies themselves actually meant little to me, I remember how proud and happy my parents were on those two occasions , so I would have gone anyway because it meant so much to them.

My daughter opted to not attend her high school graduation and we didn't have a problem with that but she was awarded a scholarship which we didn't know about but they sent her the check in the mail along with her having to go to school to pick up her diploma. DD went on to earn her Doctorate in Pharmacy from MCPHS and the graduation ceremony was at Gillette Stadium (where Patriots play) so no way was I allowing her to miss this even though she didn't think it was a big deal. We had never been to an NFL stadium and stayed at the Marriott right in front of the stadium but when they lined up (and there were over 1400 graduates) and she got a picture of her standing in front of the locker room/Tom Brady she thought that it was a big deal! I told her that earning a doctorate (and her numerous phones calls to me in a panic that she was failing and she never was) was a big deal and I should walk over the stage with her!!

One grad I knew thought renting and wearing a cap and gown to sit in a folding chair among a huge crowd on the floor of a stadium for hours was not something he could endure. He and his parents sat in the more comfortable seats higher up and enjoyed the speaker. All the diplomas were mailed.

I walked for high school because my family wanted me to. I didn't walk when I earned my bachelors (as an adult) because I had no interest in walking the stage with a couple thousand other students.

Several of DS's friends didn't attend their ceremony for HS or only did so because of parental pressure. DD's school more or less requires it, I think, but I've never heard of anyone wanted to skip anyway. It is such a small school (~30 per grad class) that the ceremony isn't the hours-long affair that makes kids want to avoid it in the first place.

If it had been up to me, I wouldn't have walked for HS or college. My mother on the other hand made it very clear that i better do it! So I did.

Hated High School and since it's something you have to do, seemed like a waste of time to go. (It was also in November so coming back when I had already left and moved on was odd). Undergrad and Grad school I went, I worked hard for those and chose to be there. My family definitely wanted to attend too, as they were proud of my accomplishment (first one in the family to go).

Last edited:

I only walked for HS because they told us No Walk - No Diploma - I didn't attend my college graduation ceremony.
It wasn't that I didn't enjoy high school - I did - it's just that I knew I was going into college so HS graduation to me was no big deal. I didn't attend my college ceremony because - well - I'm one of 7 kids - we all went to college - so did my parents - so did my grand parents - again - it was just not a big deal.

I didn't walk at my college graduation ceremony. It was at Ohio State and there were thousands of students graduating. I wasn't friends with anyone in my major so all my friends were scattered among everyone else. My parents told me that they'd just give me the cash for my gown and we'd go out to eat early.

So instead of spending multiple hours sitting at the Horse Shoe we just went to eat. I've never regretted it or really gave it a second thought.

I totally understand skipping graduations. They are boring!

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I skipped both of my college graduations (Bachelor's & Master's degrees). I did not want to make my family sit thru those.

My ds just told me he didn't want to go to his 8th grade graduation.
Yes we have an 8th grade graduation, this is nothing new, I did it 30 years ago.....blah blah blah.
I'm guessing its optional but I will have check. I expect him to "graduate" but I don't really need to see him get his diploma. Plus its in the late afternoon when most parents are still at work.

I toyed with the idea of not going to mine just to be informed that the graduation ceremony is just as much for the family as for the graduate

I had a cousin who didn't walk, along with a number of other kids because she was married on the night of their commencement as her new husband was leaving for service shortly after so she, the new husband, and friends in the wedding party didn't attend their graduation.

DS's high school class had 311 students. At graduation the other night, there were 287 participants. We know of one girl who graduated but chose not to attend the ceremony. She was in DS's drama class for four years and they did several shows together. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of her being shy about being seen or walking across the stage. She told DS that graduation ceremonies just aren't her thing, and that her mom was OK with her not walking. They went to dinner and a show instead. It's totally her prerogative, but I guess I was a little surprised. I'm wondering how many of DS's classmates chose not to participate. I know there were some who didn't earn the necessary credits to graduate. I'm just curious as to how many earned the credits but chose not to walk. Is it that common of a thing?

My daughters class had a few that did not walk. I know at least one was leaving that same day to start at one of the military academies, so there was a definite scheduling conflict. There were a couple that I know of that didn't participate because they were bullied, treated as outcasts by many and just didn't feel much connection to the class or school (which is very sad, but that's another topic).

My daughter did not want to go and participate. She was an honors student, had friends, was active in extra curriculars, she just didn't have any interest. DH and I didn't care one way or the other if she participated or not, but told her that we'd feel bad if she didn't because she might regret it later in life. MIL was mortified at the thought of her not being there, so in the end DD did participate because MIL was making all our lives miserable at the thought of her NOT participating DD is graduating from college next year, and has made it clear that she's not interested in participating in that, and we are okay with it.

For me not choosing to take part in the graduation process shows a lack of respect towards the school, the educational process and the family. Just my opinion.

One grad I knew thought renting and wearing a cap and gown to sit in a folding chair among a huge crowd on the floor of a stadium for hours was not something he could endure. He and his parents sat in the more comfortable seats higher up and enjoyed the speaker. All the diplomas were mailed.

I would rather sit on the floor in a folding chair than where the rest of the people have to sit- up in uncomfortable bleacher seats!

When my DD was graduating college (undergrad) we made her younger brother come along. At the ceremony he declared that we better take pictures of him now too as he was not going to his graduation. And three years later stuck to his word and would not attend his undergrad/grad ceremony! Both did attend their HS ceremonies though.

I walked for my HS diploma...my class was a total of 32 people, so we were all tight and it was a quick ceremony. I also walked for my BA in college, but as soon as I got my degree I walked off stage and walked out the door! I was letter B- no way was I sitting through the rest of the alphabet of over 3k students!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!